We Cruisers Need to be Realists........

sail7seas

It is the nature of most businesses to expand until supply exceeds demand. Airlines do this. Hotels do this. Restaurant chains do this. Malls do this. Retail does this. Starbucks did this. Lord knows, new home builders did this. It's good for the ecomony because expansion employs people. It's not sustainable over the long haul.

And yeah, I suspect many of them are sorry now, that they did.

Very astute. MBA's who were supposed to know better (and commanded salaries accordingly) repeated the same mistakes as there less educated predecessors.

The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Life is what you make of it, and so is a cruise!

I have so much to be thankful for, and hope to keep travelling for a good, long time!!

As to your first statement, it is much too simplistic and a bit trite.

'Life is what u make it, and so is a cruise' also shld include 'what others make of it for u' as well! 'No man (woman) is an island' springs to mind also and the economic crisis we are experiencing makes what I am saying crystal clear or should..

For example, Madoff and the horrible financial loss suffered by the charities that do so much good and now must cut back - I am sure those folks didn't do it to themselves did they? :/

As to your first statement, it is much too simplistic and a bit trite.

'Life is what u make it, and so is a cruise' also shld include 'what others make of it for u' as well! 'No man (woman) is an island' springs to mind also and the economic crisis we are experiencing makes what I am saying crystal clear or should..

For example, Madoff and the horrible financial loss suffered by the charities that do so much good and now must cut back - I am sure those folks didn't do it to themselves did they? :/

No, the statement is not trite, and I enjoyed the poster's correlation to a cruise. What he/she said "is crystal clear" as stated, or should be.

'Life' includes the situations and experiences we each face as a result of the actions or inactions of others, of both large and small magnitude, on a daily basis. The concept applies to both Madoff, and say, electricity. Life IS what you make of it, and more importantly, how you deal with it.

It is the nature of most businesses to expand until supply exceeds demand. Airlines do this. Hotels do this. Restaurant chains do this. Malls do this. Retail does this. Starbucks did this. Lord knows, new home builders did this. It's good for the ecomony because expansion employs people. It's not sustainable over the long haul.

And yeah, I suspect many of them are sorry now, that they did.

And when supply exceeds demand? What then? Cancel routes. Send old aircraft to the hangar. Close a hotel or two - or three. Close some branches of the restaurant chain. I've seen this recently within the confines of little Culver City. Bulldoze part of a mall's retail space and add parking space? (Again, in Culver City.) Close the Bullocks and the Broadways. Reduce the number of outlets of Starbucks.

And what next? The sample suggests to me that unless demand soon exceeds supply that we may lose a cruise line or two and that some cruise lines may have to discontinue sailing some of their ships.

And what next? The sample suggests to me that unless demand soon exceeds supply that we may lose a cruise line or two and that some cruise lines may have to discontinue sailing some of their ships.

A while back I saw a documenratary on a Day in the Life of American Airlines. Sold out flights were turning profits of $75 a flight, not ticket, the whole dang flight. It came down to how many passengers bought cocktails.

As the day progressed there was a nasty weather situation somewhere in the U.S. The system-wide delays turned an otherwise marginally profitable day into another day in the red.

There is another active thread on the topic of ships being sold.

No, the statement is not trite, and I enjoyed the poster's correlation to a cruise. What he/she said "is crystal clear" as stated, or should be.

'Life' includes the situations and experiences we each face as a result of the actions or inactions of others, of both large and small magnitude, on a daily basis. The concept applies to both Madoff, and say, electricity. Life IS what you make of it, and more importantly, how you deal with it.

I apologize to the poster - it was not trite. Thanks for bringing that up.

Its the 'dealing' with it part that can get to folks though over time, with things u have no responsibility for or control over..but the poster IMO anyway was attempting to put a bright shine on it all and I can appreciate that...

Have happy cruisin'!

Someone suggested cutting, or charging for, trivia and other activities. On our last cruise trivia was presided over by a young girl paid by the contract, used a few half- sheets of paper, and located in a bar so it was easy to buy something to drink. Very poorly attended.:mad:

At home, trivia costs the bar or restaurant quite a bit of money, is free to the customer, and the 2 that have it now may be joined by a 3rd very soon.:)

The places with the fewest amenities have the fewest customers and vice-versa.:D

I apologize to the poster - it was not trite. Thanks for bringing that up.

Its the 'dealing' with it part that can get to folks though over time, with things u have no responsibility for or control over..but the poster IMO anyway was attempting to put a bright shine on it all and I can appreciate that...

Have happy cruisin'!

Yep, I will definitely agree with you there! :)

Archived