Your Favourite Beach and Why

The Anchor Banker

We are going to Harrison's Cave in the am and then want a nice beach to spend the rest of the day, preferably relatively close to the ship with cab availability. Originally we were going to go to the Boatyard but we've decided against that. Just looking for other/better options.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Hi,

Which cruise are you doing, that is the same plan we had in mind to do. Harrison's in the morning and then beach afterwards. It's about 30 bucks or so for a cab and you have to ask the cab driver to wait for you because there isn't many around to take once you are done to the beach. This information could be wrong but it's what I've read online. Also I've heard Brighton beach is nice. But skim through these postings there is tons of information. This is what we are doing to try and decide what we want to do in each port. Also I've notice, like on Harrison's website, that prices are in Caribbean dollars and not US. Approximately 30 BBD is 15 US.

Dalia

Thanks for your feedback. Reviews I've read on Brighton Beach have been very unfavourable. I can't seem to find any real favourable reviews on a Barbados beach (aside from the Boatyard). Our last visit there we were on a beach (I can't remember the name) which quite frankly wasn't memorable. Does anyone have an awesome beach recommendation that they can share? We are trying to hit the best beach on every island in the Caribbean.

This will be our 1st time to Accra. I read 12 to 15 min. to Acvcra. i read taxi fare is $16 each way. Maybe someone that's been there can tell us for sure. I do know you have to walk outside the gate to get a cab to Accra. The cabs inside don't want to go there. They only want to take you to where they get a kickback.

I've been doing alot of reading on these boards tonight and it appears Accra is one of the higher rated beaches here. The beach at the Boatyard also seems very highly rated...if someone has been to both, perhaps they could elaborate.

I've also read there is a taxi booth at Accra and it is easy to arrange cabs back to the ship...is that the case?

Not sure if this is any help to you, 2yrs ago we got taxi to Malibu beach (not sure what this beach called, it could be Brighton beach? where is Aplemac when you need him ?) $40 dollars return fare for 4 people including tip, paid driver after he took us back to ship. We had really good day, small quiet beach, $3 to get in sunbed showers etc. then for about £4 done tour of the malibu distillery with lots of free samples, some locals brought some georgious black horses down for a swim. On our last day for the last few years we always walk down to Carlisle bay as our departure from the ship is normally about 2.30( the boatyard is situated at the begining of this beach, it is about 25min walk from port, and a nice walk in to Bridgetown. Beach by boatyard gets crowded but walk another couple of hundred yards and pick your spot, personally i think this is a fantastic beach, and our last carribean swim before we head back home.

2yrs ago we got taxi to Malibu beach

(not sure what this beach called, it could be Brighton beach?

where is Aplmac when you need him ?) ===> You're right..Malibu is on Brighton Beach

Aplmac was off doing shots of Best Beaches! :)

such as..

BBay-771.jpg

Bottom Bay..

and Crane...

Crane-030.jpg

-but both these are a long way out, clear over the other side of the island

with Bottom Bay being somewhat remote

We just returned from a Southern Caribbean Cruise. Definitely leave the gates of the port to get a cab. We got a cab from a very nice woman cabbie (Evelyn) who took all five of us and 1 toddler with stroller to Rockley/Accra beach for $20.00/15-20 mins. each way. (ACCRA is the name of the hotel on Rockley beach) It was a very nice beach, although crowded this day because it was a national holiday. We were able to get a cobbled together umbrella after a bit for $10.00. A couple we met staying in a nearby hotel, said they hadn't seen more than 30 people there all week!! Not this day! Anyway, I was also told that if you entered the beach more northerly or to the left and went to the white roofed beach bar, you could get a chair/umbrella and a drink for $15.00.

The southside boardwalk is here and very nice. Also, the water is a not Caribbean calm, but slightly wavy (this time of year) and quite enjoyable. Beautiful sand and the color of the ocean is incredible. Lots of food stands nearby. Try the flying fish platter with a local beer. My hubby is a true foodie and found this island dish fabulous.

Also, you could get a public bus here as well. A pretty comprehensive public transportation system if you're adventureous. I believe it was the #12 or any bus going towards OISTENS. It drops off and picks up right at the beach entrance. Plenty of cabs available as well. Negotiate the fee before you decide.

aplmac has nice photos of this beach and the boardwalk. aplmac????

We went to Accra on Tuesday January 13, 2009. Got a cab outside the gate as recommended on these boards. They wanted $25 at first for the two of us, I offered $15, which someone finally accepted after some grumbling. The beach was wonderful. We found some shade so we didn't rent chairs or umbrellas. The waves weren't big enough for body surfing that day but I was told by a hotel guest that they had been larger earlier in the week. Rum-and-cokes were only $2.50; the different vendors were competing for our business. Arranged for the taxi to return at a specified time and he showed up as agreed to take us back to the port.

1483246634_CelebrityCruise795.jpg.e7022a860acaf133741f8abb57b3a774.jpg

We went to Accra on Tuesday January 13, 2009.

Got a cab outside the gate as recommended on these boards.

They wanted $25 at first for the two of us, I offered $15

which someone finally accepted after some grumbling. ===> That's about right (=Bds.$30)

The beach was wonderful. ===> Told you!

The waves weren't big enough for body surfing that day

but I was told by a hotel guest that they had been larger earlier in the week. ===> Depends on the day!

Arranged for the taxi to return at a specified time and he showed up as agreed to take us back to the port.

Our taxi drivers are usually pretty good about returning for people, if pre-arranged.

For one good reason. It's a guaranteed job, later on in the day.

There are an awful lot of taxi drivers on the island

and the cake gets sliced awfully thin among them, some days.

In other words, Supply of taxi-drivers exceeds Demand for them.

Some of them haven't quite figured it out yet, but many have.

They always try for the best price, of course

but if you're a firm negotiator you can bring them down to a sane price.

Rock on.

Archived