uniworld river cruises

janines

We have cruised to many different places on RCCL and Celebrity. I am interested in the differeces, mostly in the excursions and social set up of the smaller river cruises. We like to see as much as possible and get out and about the cities. We will also be traveling this time as a couple, not in a group and would not like to be put with groups of people a meals.

Thanks,

janines

I've been on two Uniworld trips - one in Europe (Holland and Belgium) and one in China. They were different sorts of trips, but both enjoyable. The one in Europe was not as much a group trip as the China trip. The trip to China was only partly on a cruise ship and we all sat with the group each night as we had tabled assigned to our group. We did tours every day, but felt it was needed in China because of the language and distances. On the Holland trip, dinner was more like a normal cruise ship without assigned tables although the meal times were set. So there you could eat alone or with others. As to excursions: in China we all went together as a group, although there were only about a dozen of us. We had a wonderful guide who was with us the whole trip. In Holland we stopped at different cities and had different guides, for at least one included excursion in each city. We also had a good bit of free time in each city and we explored on our own. If you have questions, you can reach me directly at KiltieOcala at american online.

We have cruised to many different places on RCCL and Celebrity. I am interested in the differeces, mostly in the excursions and social set up of the smaller river cruises. We like to see as much as possible and get out and about the cities. We will also be traveling this time as a couple, not in a group and would not like to be put with groups of people a meals.

Thanks,

janines

Please check out the River and Canal Cruise board here. There is a ton of information over there!

I haven't been on Uniworld but have done two with Grand Circle. I can say there were no tables for 2 in the dining room, a couple of 4 tops, mostly 6 tops and a couple 8 tops. Dining is a come and sit where you want type of thing. It's a good set up actually so you aren't stuck with somebody you don't want to be with at every meal.

Excursions typically allow plenty of free time for your own exploring in the port. You can always go off and do your own thing and just meet the group back at the time and place specified. This is mostly what I did as I am not a big museum type. Worked out fine.

Usually every night before dinner there is a port talk in the lounge to give you an idea of what will be going on the next day. After dinner there will usually be music or some sort of entertainment but it's nothing like a big cruise ship. I found that in the evenings I would prefer to quiet time in my cabin after such a full day of activity.

Ocean cruising and river cruising are so totally different it's really hard to compare the two, but I enjoy both a lot. Just be aware the most river cruises have a much older age demographic on board. I'm in my early 40's and always the youngest other than crew. Doesn't bother me a bit as most are very interesting to talk with about their life experiences and various travels. Give it a try!

Archived