Which Map?

Jade13

A&K recommends British Admiralty Chart (Nautical charts)

#3200 "Falkland Islands to Graham land"

Or

3205 or 3570 for the Antarctic Peninsula. We are not going to the Falklands or South Georgia. I think these are $12.00 each.

Additionally I see a "British Antarctic Survey" (2004) ANT130, for $17.95

Has anyone seen these and which do they recommend? I wanted to purchase one chart.

There is also an Ocean Explorer Map 2000, MAP, $11.95 (#ANT128) from Ushuaia to the Antarctic Circle.

Hi Jade

We went with the Admiralty chart but a different one as we arent going to the Falklands.

Just finished packing (more or less) and are surprised to find that our cases weigh a lot less than we were expecting! I can't beleive how many spare flash cards we have though.

How are your preparations going?

After years of wanting to go to Antarctica we leave on Tuesday and I keep having to pinch myself to check Im not dreaming:)

Hi Jade

We went with the Admiralty chart but a different one as we arent going to the Falklands.

Just finished packing (more or less) and are surprised to find that our cases weigh a lot less than we were expecting! I can't beleive how many spare flash cards we have though.

How are your preparations going?

After years of wanting to go to Antarctica we leave on Tuesday and I keep having to pinch myself to check Im not dreaming:)

We leave a week after you. Which chart (#) did you pick out? We are not going to the Falklands either. It's hard without seeing them. what other books are you taking? I am going to try to pack some things up tonight and check on our weight.

A&K listed two numbers for the Peninsula so I have no idea which one. I wish my DH would get a little excited. Where else are you going?

Hi Jade

We have 3205 but my DH thinks we wont need it!

Books wise have got Ice which has extracts from a few journey. I can't recommend eating and reading with this though as there was a gruesome story about a dog being dinner (my Mum was so right about the not eating and reading thing)

I downloaded Scott's diary from Project Guttenberg and my sad DH has got a book about Shackelton & leadership!

Also some chicklit for the long flights as light relief from

dogs and frostbite in unmentionable places!

I have packed 2 lots of clothing for expedition wear and some casual ship wear but the evenings are difficult and so different from our usual cruises.

We did want to take some wellies but not sure whether well be able to get them in time - there is a UK shortage of Muckboots which we were keen on and will use afterwards. Were taking a holdall to put the boots and parka in on the way back.

Have also bought every seasickness remedy Boots sell - just in case:)

Hi Jade

We have 3205 but my DH thinks we wont need it!

Books wise have got Ice which has extracts from a few journey. I can't recommend eating and reading with this though as there was a gruesome story about a dog being dinner (my Mum was so right about the not eating and reading thing)

I downloaded Scott's diary from Project Guttenberg and my sad DH has got a book about Shackelton & leadership!

Also some chicklit for the long flights as light relief from

dogs and frostbite in unmentionable places!

I have packed 2 lots of clothing for expedition wear and some casual ship wear but the evenings are difficult and so different from our usual cruises.

We did want to take some wellies but not sure whether well be able to get them in time - there is a UK shortage of Muckboots which we were keen on and will use afterwards. Were taking a holdall to put the boots and parka in on the way back.

Have also bought every seasickness remedy Boots sell - just in case:)

Are you doing any pre or post cruise travel? The boots are provided on Minerva so we didn't need to purchase any. We are doing more "smart casual" for dinner (not dresses or suits) so one less suitcase than our typical cruise..

Oh Boots! I love Boots and I haven't been to the UK in years. Do they still sell the green colored mint and marshmellow foot cream? I have never found another product like it. I even liked the simple glass packaging although it made it hard to bring many bottles back to the US. Years ago I tried to see if it was available on-line but it never was.

We are going to get yellow fever shots tomorrow night for Igaussu (Brazil). I will ask the travel doctor about seasickness pills. We never get sick on ships but my girlfriend said it was awful going through the Drake passage and the medication needed to be taken prior to boarding.

Oh, and my DH just said, "Is there some good reason we are going to Antarctica"?

Have a wonderful and safe trip!

Jade

Just think how awed your husband will be when he get there! People seem overwhelmed by the scale even when they are expecting it!

We aren't doing any pre/post apart from a day in BA on the way there to allow luggae to catch up and a day on the way back due to flight schedules. We did have a trip with Iguazzu and a round the horn cruise planned but had to cancel due to DH work commitments. While I was being despondant about that the Prince Albert appeared on the scene with a good deal.

My muck boots have arrived in the morning post:)

Boots here is still as good as ever - their range of things you didn't know you needed until you saw it is going strong.

I've been reading the Minerva logs and had a chuckle at the person with a tuxedo on walking along the beach.

I have packed my swimming costume and hope that I can do the swim without catching a cold! Not sure how you get back to the boat without getting frostbite. I wasn't sure until I read a report where the person said they were sensible and didn't do it and now regret it.

Jade

Just think how awed your husband will be when he get there! People seem overwhelmed by the scale even when they are expecting it!

We aren't doing any pre/post apart from a day in BA on the way there to allow luggae to catch up and a day on the way back due to flight schedules. We did have a trip with Iguazzu and a round the horn cruise planned but had to cancel due to DH work commitments. While I was being despondant about that the Prince Albert appeared on the scene with a good deal.

My muck boots have arrived in the morning post:)

Boots here is still as good as ever - their range of things you didn't know you needed until you saw it is going strong.

I've been reading the Minerva logs and had a chuckle at the person with a tuxedo on walking along the beach.

I have packed my swimming costume and hope that I can do the swim without catching a cold! Not sure how you get back to the boat without getting frostbite. I wasn't sure until I read a report where the person said they were sensible and didn't do it and now regret it.

There are good deals now (A&K 25% off plus $1,000 pp off). Oh Well, we booked two years ago and our ship has been sold out over a year.

I saw the person in the tuxedo.

Have a very safe and wonderful trip!

I ended up with the Antarctic Explorer Map (more tourist with info on explorers) for $11.95 and the British Antarctic Survey "Antarctic Peninsula and Weddell Sea and Graham land and South Shetland Islands for $24.95.

I still have time to pick up a nautical chart but I wonder how bulky it is as I understand it is rolled, it is $45.00 and I'm wondering if I can get the coordinates while we travel.

Archived