Forest and Tram in Icy Straits

CincinnatiGal

I took the tram 2 years ago. It was a beautiful ride through the forest and along the beach, but overall, I didn't think it was worth the money. We didn't see any wildlife at all, but the forest and beach are beautiful.

I think it is arranged for cruise ships and is only available through the ship excursion. You can check out this link, but it tells you to book the tour through your ship.

http://www.icystraitpoint.com/pages/excursions/naturetram.html

Be sure to check out the other information on that website for other options in Icy Straits. For example, if you enjoy walking, you can take a nature walk or a walk along the beach on your own. Many people walk into Hoonah. You can also view the historic canning line and museum.

I took the tram 2 years ago. It was a beautiful ride through the forest and along the beach, but overall, I didn't think it was worth the money. We didn't see any wildlife at all, but the forest and beach are beautiful.

I think it is arranged for cruise ships and is only available through the ship excursion. You can check out this link, but it tells you to book the tour through your ship.

http://www.icystraitpoint.com/pages/excursions/naturetram.html

Be sure to check out the other information on that website for other options in Icy Straits. For example, if you enjoy walking, you can take a nature walk or a walk along the beach on your own. Many people walk into Hoonah. You can also view the historic canning line and museum.

Thanks for your reply...what do you suggest to do in Icy Straits? Any whale watching and if so with who --I am appreciative of suggestions that I can book online without using RCCL to save some money!

Thanks again!

CincinnatiGal

This year, I'm going whale watching with Glacier Winds Charter. It's expensive, but it will be a smaller group than the ship's whale watching tour. Shawn and his wife are retired school teachers and he has been wonderful to helping me make arrangements. If you email him, he would probably be happy to suggest other options.

http://www.g-wind.com/

You can check out this website for other ideas.

http://www.visithoonah.com/visitor_info.htm

We felt the same way about this excursion.

CincinnatiGal

Any whale watching and if so with who --I am appreciative of suggestions that I can book online without using RCCL to save some money!

We are going with F.I.S.H.E.S. for our whale watching tour. We have not been with them but have heard wonderful things about Floyd from this CC board.

If you are into walking you could take a walk into town (a little over a mile maybe) and stop at the Office Bar and have some fresh crab or go a little further up the road and stop at Grandma Ninas and have a crab pita and visit the locals. Alot of times there are whales and other marine wildlife swimming around in front of town and that makes the walk well worth it!! You could also take a land tour with Keith (TECKK Outfitters), that would kind of be like the tram tour only on a van and you would cover alot more area. He could also take you through the forest and along the beach :)

Archived