Need advice on POA car rental

aloha first timers

Can anyone please tell me if there is a shuttle back to the ship from the airport after you turn the car in? I called Budget and operater didn't know. She also said there was no shuttle service at all at Hilo with Budget. I haven't checked other companies yet. I just want 1 day rental at Lihue, Hilo and Kahului.

This is cakewalk and we have just finished booking cars for all the Islands in March on te POA. We have booked with Alamo they have great prices. The Entertainment Book has very good coupons and makes the prices even better between $30 & $40 a day.

In Kauai - we call and they send shutlte

Hilo - call they send shuttle

Kona - a shuttle is at the dock

Maui - call they send a shuttle

All ports return you to the dock.

Be sure to get the local numbers for the car rentals you will need them for calling for shuttles and just in case there is a change in port times or we can not dock. Alamo told us that when we call for the shuttle they will be there within 15 min.

Hope this helps.

Cakewalk

10 other cruises

first time with NCl, POA 3-6-05

As far as shuttles, Budget's were waiting in Kauai and Maui. I don't remeber seeing them in either Big Island stop. We rented only in Maui. Hint - in Maui, you may have to park a couple of blocks from the ship, the close spots fill fast. The parking lot at the dock is left empty for shuttle dropoff/pickup. The best spot to find a spot later on Fri night is RIGHT out of the dock lot and around the bend. There were security guards who can help you... Don't leave valuables....

We drove the road to Hana (bring Dramamine just in case) and kept going ALL the way around that end of the island. Supposedly it voids the rental car contract (per a free map that we got at the dock), but I saw no reference in the contract we got from Budget. The views beyond Hana were spectacular, best in Hawaii. The road is not too bad, but you will have to slow down... but you will be used to it from the Hana road experience.

I purchased mine on Ebay, but you could also buy it from Entertainment.com

Tom

Tom,

Any good coupons in the Ebook I might have missed? I know we're both using the Body Glove coupon, and I'm using the Atlantis Submarine and Germaine's coupon. However, is there anything else that popped out at you? I might use the zoo or aquarium coupons, but haven't decided on which restuarant coupons to use while precruising. Any suggestions?

Kris

I also have not looked through it for restaurants yet. We will be using:

Polynesian Cultural Center -$27

Body Glove Snorkel -$94

Hillo Hattie 20% off

National Rental Car Hilo One Class Upgrade (about $4)

National Rental Car Kauai One Class Upgrade (about $4)

Hertz Rental Car Maui Double Class Upgrade (about $20)

We might also use the coupons for a whale watch, scuba, Hawaii Nature Center, and United Airlines for a connecting flight.

Tom

I also have not looked through it for restaurants yet. We will be using:

Polynesian Cultural Center -$27

Body Glove Snorkel -$94

Hillo Hattie 20% off

National Rental Car Hilo One Class Upgrade (about $4)

National Rental Car Kauai One Class Upgrade (about $4)

Hertz Rental Car Maui Double Class Upgrade (about $20)

We might also use the coupons for a whale watch, scuba, Hawaii Nature Center, and United Airlines for a connecting flight.

Tom

I forgot about the Hilo Hattie. Thanks for the reminder. Of course, the Body Glove coupon makes the book worth it ($47 savings). I think we're saving about $30 total for Germaine's and about the same for the Atlantis Submarine.

I'm renting cars for an upcoming POA cruise but want to make sure I'm renting from the correct rental locations:

NAWILIWILI (KAUAI), US -- LIH (Kauai Airport)

HILO, US -- ITO (Hilo Airport)

KAHULUI (MAUI), US - OGG (Kahului Airport)

Thanks for your help.

rndennie,

I have rented cars through Thrifty at Hilo and Kahului at the locations you listed. In Hilo, I was told a shuttle would be standing by at the security area. In Kahului, I was told to call the office upon arrival and they would send the shuttle.

When are you sailing on the POA?

We rented from Hertz in Hilo and Kahului (Hertz was a little more expensive, but we're gold members, so we saved time not hassling with paperwork by using them). The shuttle was there both times right when we got off.

We made our reservation on-line, and were able to let them know we were arriving by ship, so our name was "on the list" for pick-up already. We were also given the local phone numbers for the Hertz offices (when we made our on-line reservation), and we called them the day before we arrived in each of these ports to to double check.

This is cakewalk and you can get the Entertinment Book on line at Entertainment.com. There are coupons for all the Islands, many of the Luaus, Activities, food Attractions, hotels and cars. We are also using the hawaiiactivityworld.com they have a great book you can send for with other things you can on the Islands. Hope this helps.

If you still want to go with Budget - We rented from them at every port with no problem. Think I used discount codes from Costco.

Budget also has a Fastbreak membership which is like Hertz but free - had a seperate line to go to in a few of the locations - also received a free upgrade at two of the locations.

Archived