Loose stones???

mammy

I am looking for semi precious stones , we will be in st thomas in one week In particular an aquamarine, I will get it set when I come back, does anyone know where the best place to buy these??? we will also be going to st marrten

I bought two loose stones on my trip to St. Thomas...I think it was Ballerina Jewelers? I had them made into a mother's ring when I got home and my jewler quoted me around the same price as I bought them for. So I didn't really get a "deal" on them, but they're a neat momento of our trip.

I bought two loose stones on my trip to St. Thomas...I think it was Ballerina Jewelers? I had them made into a mother's ring when I got home and my jewler quoted me around the same price as I bought them for. So I didn't really get a "deal" on them, but they're a neat momento of our trip.

What kind of stones did you buy??? and what size ? I have been researching stones, but really don't know how much they would cost in the islands......can you give me a ball park figure? I would like to set them at home, and everything i have found thus far is already set.

thanks for your reply:D ps I bought a bracelet at ballerina 2 yrs ago

It was my kids' birthstones...nothing real extravagant or expensive. A topaz and a garnet...probably around a carat each, emerald cut, and I paid maybe $50 for both (total)? I really don't know squat about stones or jewlery either, LOL, I just knew I didn't like any of the mother's rings that were available and I wanted to have one made.

It's been a few years, but I bought a 13 carat blue topaz pear cut for $120 in St. Thomas. I've had it appraised for twice that just recently, right before my DH had it set into a pendent. I get more compliments on that pendant!

I prefer to buy loose stones because you don't have to count them in tax free limit.

It's been a few years, but I bought a 13 carat blue topaz pear cut for $120 in St. Thomas. I've had it appraised for twice that just recently, right before my DH had it set into a pendent. I get more compliments on that pendant!

I prefer to buy loose stones because you don't have to count them in tax free limit.

Do you remember which store you bought it at?? I am looking for an aquamarine for my sister, and she wants to set it into a ring. Thanks:D

I want to think it was Ballerina, but I'm not sure. I know it was a couple of years ago and the box was thrown away when he had the pendent made.

Semiprecious goes for about $10-15 a carat now. Aquamarine I think goes for more than that, anywhere from $30-50 a carat, or it was in Cozumel last summer. It's my son's birthstone and I wanted to get one there, but didn't find a size/color/shape I liked that I could afford!

I want to think it was Ballerina, but I'm not sure. I know it was a couple of years ago and the box was thrown away when he had the pendent made.

Semiprecious goes for about $10-15 a carat now. Aquamarine I think goes for more than that, anywhere from $30-50 a carat, or it was in Cozumel last summer. It's my son's birthstone and I wanted to get one there, but didn't find a size/color/shape I liked that I could afford!

I was looking for a very light blue, 8-9 carat oval shaped.....I was thinking $500 for budget ...... It sounds like it might be harder to find then I thought:cool: thanks for the info

"Jewels" has a very good reputation in St. Thomas and other ports as well. They are the authorized dealers of several well known lines so I think they would be trustworthy and reliable for loose stones also. I can't remember if they had loose stones or not but it is a huge store. I purchased David Yurman pieces there. Perhaps if they do not offer loose stones they can direct you to someone who does.

Here's a link to them and they do have a toll free number as well.

www.jewelsonline.com

Good luck on your search, hope you find a real beauty!

• 3 weeks later...
I bought some loose stones on board the ship. There are days allocated to buying loose stones, outside the stores. I still have not had them set, as it is quite expensive to do so. Had I know that before hand, I probably would not have bought the stones!

Search for a Gem and Mineral Show in your area. They have mountings and can do it while you wait at a whole lot cheaper than the local jeweler. They also have loose stones. Read up on gems so you know what you are buying and what treatments have been done.

The last cruise I was on, the presenter said that Customs equates loose stones with generic rocks.
SO??? Anything you did not have with you before your trip is supposed to be declared. It's the $$ value that matters, not what you bought. So, whether it's $5,000 for 1 diamond or $5,000 in manure, you still have to declare it and pay a duty on everything over $1,600 (USVI) or $800 elsewhere.

Archived