McKinley Express TRAIN anchorage to fairbanks

CruisingChics

Who has taken the McKinleyExpress (HAL) train from ANC to Fairbanks either pre- or post-cruise, how did you like it, which direction did you prefer, how are the accommodations, how is the food, how is the service, how is the narration, did you enjoy it, was it a good value for your money?

If there is a thread or forum on this already, please forgive and please tell me how to find the forum/thread~! thanks~!

I did a HAL cruisetour in '07. We didn't ride the train from Anchorage to Fairbanks, but they can't be that different.

We rode the domed railcar from Fairbanks to Denali. It gets hot up there in that dome car, with the sun beating down. I spent a lot of time downstairs in the area between the cars. Then we also took the domed railcar from Denali to Anchorage. That was a long haul. 8 hours on that train. You can get up and walk around. There are stairs to the upper deck, so if you have to use the restroom downstairs, you have to navigate up and down the stairs. Again, I spent a lot of time in the area between the cars.

The meals served are very good, and as everything in Alaska, a little expensive. But I had the best prime rib I've ever had on that train.

And another big difference between HAL and Princess, on HAL all the seats face forward. I understand on Princess you are seated at a table with two facing forward and two facing backward.

I did my review in Sept '07. We were on the Zuiderdam. Not sure if it is still posted, or if you can find it. I will look and try to get back here to post a link. It was still there, here is the link.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=32052

I don't think you can go wrong on HAL. As I stated, it was first rate, the only thing I would do differently is to purchase the meal plan, as we didn't save anything by doing it on our own.

I traveled on the McK E on a Grayline Tour (HAL owns Grayline in Alaska). It was a great experience. The dome cars are big, beautiful and new. The seats are clean and comfortable. The dome window is huge and expansive. The tour director was nice, helpful and knowledgeable. I don't think I've ever had a better margarita, and the food was delicious.

All in all, I loved every minute of it. I wanted to ride the nicer dome car, and was able to do so thru Grayline at a great price.

We went with Celebrity for our cruisetour last year in June. We started in Fairbanks and travelled to Denali in the Royal Celebrity domed cars. They were very, very nice and extremely comfortable. Never had a heat issue. The tour directors for the train were fantastic as well. We rode the train from Fairbanks to Denali and then from Denali to Talkeetna. We then motorcoached from Talkeetna to Anchorage, then from Anchorage to Seward where we boarded the Millennium. I highly recommend going from north to south, especially if you are planning a landtour first. You are able to relax more once you are on board for the end of your trip. Anything else you would like to know, just ask! :)

I did a 14 Night Cruise Tour with HAL in 2007. We spent 7 nights on land before the cruise. We began in Fairbanks where we took the Mckinnley Explorer to Denali, about a 5 hour ride. After 2 nights in Denali, we took the train to Anchorage, about an 8 hour ride. This was fantastic and one of the highlights of my trip. We were southbound and McKinnly was almost 100% for much of the journey. It was truly amazing. I really enjoyed the train ride, especially standing out on the back platform taking in all the sights, sounds and smells. Feel free to email me if you have specific questions, I love Alaska! I am currently set to go again on the Carnival Spirit Northbound late May and then have a 2 night rail tour package booked post cruise with Princess.

Archived