Key West Divivng

Socref124

When diving in Key West, which dive operator do you prefer. DW and I will be diving in Key Wst later this year and Carnival does not offer a dive tour excursion. Our fellow cruisers have given us great tips on dive operators in Cozumel, St Thomas and Grand Turk in the past, so here we are again asking for your help. Thanks for any and all suggestions.:)

When diving in Key West, which dive operator do you prefer. DW and I will be diving in Key Wst later this year and Carnival does not offer a dive tour excursion. Our fellow cruisers have given us great tips on dive operators in Cozumel, St Thomas and Grand Turk in the past, so here we are again asking for your help. Thanks for any and all suggestions.:)

I recommend Southpoint Divers. They go out of the Hyatt just two blocks from the cruise docks. In fact I like them so much I've gotten two certifications through them while on different land-based vacations in KW. Stay away from Captain's Corner. I found their dive practices unsafe. :(

Randall

Stay away from Captain's Corner. I found their dive practices unsafe. :(

Randall

I respect your opinion, but would like to add that I had a good experience with Captain's Corner. I had not done any dives for a few years and before going on a cruise to Roatan, Belize and Cozumel I decided to go to Key West for a refresher as well as get a couple of dives in. The refresher was thorough and I spent significant time in the pool with someone training to become an instructor under the instruction the instructor. By the tiem I went on the cruise 3 months later I felt well prepared for the dives in all 3 ports.

On the first dive trip there were two Germans on board, one of which had a panic attack when he got into the water (he was recently certified). They handled the situation very well IMO and buddied me up with his friend instead. [This is a different situation from another I posted about regarding someone having a panic attack in Cozumel].

As an independent Instructor in Key West, I can only offer facts, not my feelings:

Shops are listed in proximity to cruise port, NOT by personal preferance! Capacities are rough estimates!

1.Southpoint capacity +/- 24 divers, fastest boat, shortest trip, most expensive, trips at 8:30 and 1pm

2.Captain's Corner cap +/- 25 divers, med-fast boat, short trip, least expensive, trips at 9 and 2pm

3.Lost Reef cap +/- 16 divers med-fast boat, trip same as CC, mid range, trips at 8:30 and 1pm

4.Subtropic cap +/- 12 divers, slow boat, longest trip, mid range, weekends 8:30 and 1:30, weekdays 10:30-3pm

5.Dive Key West +/- 15 divers, medium boat, short trip (but you also have ride to shop, get gear, then go to their dock on Stock Island), mid range, 8:30 and 1pm

All boats will give you a set return time, this ensures the boat gets back to the dock on time. All will require you return before that time if your air runs below 500 psi- except Southpoint who asks you return at 1000 psi.

Best dive sites: Wesstern Dry Rocks, 9ft stake, Rock Key, the Cut at Sambos

Happy diving!

Yes. Thought you were asking about actual dive shops/operators.

Ecoscuba is brand new, and they are located on Stock Island (next island up from Key West). If I were to deal with a new dive shop in Key West, I would ask how many trips with cruise ship passengers have they run as ecoscuba or how many trips or instruction have they done.

They have a quick boat, but can they get you there by cab and still meet your schedule?

There are MANY independent operators of SCUBA boats in the FL Keys- all you need is a 6pk license from the Coast Guard.

If that is all the service you are looking for, might I suggest a more established small boat like Bonsai Divers or Mobile Diver?

I am not saying that Eco is or could be bad, just that they lack experience and when it comes to getting cruisers back from shore excursions, personally when I book out of this country, I look for one thing- experience.

And sorry, but even a brand new dive shop with 100 yrs of experience between their staff would not make me feel secure about not missing my ship:eek:

Yes. Thought you were asking about actual dive shops/operators.

Ecoscuba is brand new, and they are located on Stock Island (next island up from Key West). If I were to deal with a new dive shop in Key West, I would ask how many trips with cruise ship passengers have they run as ecoscuba or how many trips or instruction have they done.

They have a quick boat, but can they get you there by cab and still meet your schedule?

There are MANY independent operators of SCUBA boats in the FL Keys- all you need is a 6pk license from the Coast Guard.

If that is all the service you are looking for, might I suggest a more established small boat like Bonsai Divers or Mobile Diver?

I am not saying that Eco is or could be bad, just that they lack experience and when it comes to getting cruisers back from shore excursions, personally when I book out of this country, I look for one thing- experience.

And sorry, but even a brand new dive shop with 100 yrs of experience between their staff would not make me feel secure about not missing my ship:eek:

Thanks, I appreciate the information. Don't want to misds the boat in any way, shape or form.:)

Archived