Live from Independence of the Seas

rebeccalouise

Hi Rebecca and everyone else!,

I'm enjoying this live review from the Independence, and the conversation in general. DH and I have two small children, and haven't taken them on a cruise yet, but it's in discussions for the future when they're a little older. We've been on RCI twice, and will be sailing on NCL in a few months. On the Indy, are you allowed to leave your children (3-12) on the ship with the counselors and go on shore? Or do you have to pick them up on port days and take them with you? I know I read that Oasis will be having their place open from around 9-5 or so, but was wondering if this was something that was already implemented in the Freedom class vessels, etc.

From the way things look, it seems that what RCI has in the way of families on the new Oasis class ship may fit us, but we're also looking at Carnival and Cunard. But I still have questions. Essentially we want to be able to enjoy our own time, and know that our children will enjoy their time on the ship as well. But without having to watch the clock every 3 or 4 hours for pick up time.....we want to pick them up and drop them off when we want to (outside of evening hours of course) as we want to be able to relax and go on shore excursions. I like knowing my kids don't want to leave their programs, and would rather have their own vacation. :D

I'm looking forward to whatever you all share, take care. :)

--cruiselife8/Saundra

On port days you can leave your child onboard. The youth program remains open from 9-5 and the staff will take them to lunch

I'm enjoying reading this "Live from" thread. Rebecca, please post more. So far our family cruises have all been on Princess and Celebrity, and we have been very pleased. But the kids (DD's ages 8 and 12) want to try out one of the RCCL Freedom class ships. I'm thinking that they may love it but DH and I may have a similar reaction to yours.

What do you think of the food in general and the dining experience (esp. compared to Princess and Celebrity)?

--Junglejane

The food has been very good. I wouldn't let the food deter you. The crowds are what are going to bother you. On every level the ship has delivered a fine product. I just think they have too many people packed on here.

Today is our last day and we have had a good time. My favorite thing is trivia and I met lots of nice people playing it in the Schooner Bar everyday (usually at 10AM, 3PM and 8PM). Our team is in the running for the winner of the cummulative game (at 8)- so who knows? Maybe I'll win a tee-shirt! Prizes suck but it is good fun.

Just wanted to comment on Labadee. We loved it. Nice island. No need to pony up $ 50 a person for the Seatrek Aqua Park though. It has little to offer kids. There is one inflated sliding board, kayaks, jet skis and some water rock climbing boulders. We found enough to do right on the island for free. There is an Adventure Ocean area- with a pirate ship and some water things ala H2O. Marc liked that.

The people in the shopping market are extremely aggressive. Make sure to be firm and stand your ground. The saleman had suited my son up with a bracelet and sword within seconds and then I felt compelled to buy them. My son didn't want the sword, so the sailman handed him a shell instead. He tried to charge me $20 but I tried to walk away and he went down to $15. What could I do but disappoint my son. So I bought the things and he threw in a metal wall lizard. We left the market- since my son is a complete sucker and could be talked into buying everything! I hate shopping and this was a nightmare. I couldn't see anything because of these obnoxious salepeople in my way hassling us.

We left Labadee and returned to the safety of the ship!

We had the very same experience that you described last month during our Liberty visit. They put things on the kids as soon as they walk in and that alone makes it very hard to say no. Glad you "escaped" safely;)

We disembarked yesterday and had a great time overall. I still feel like the ship lacks some of the things I like and I don't think I'll sail RC again. It just isn't my line.

However, the crew was exceedingly nice and the ship was clean and sparkly.

Archived