Live from Independence of the Seas

rebeccalouise

Pros and Cons

The ship is new and in excellent condition. There are 200 children on this voyage (there were 1400 over Christmas)- so the youth program has the same number of counselors and only a handful of children in the 6-8 program. My son loves this ship.

Our cabin is quite nice- no complaints there.

The ship itself is lively, with a shopping mall and lots of activities.

The problem with Independence of the Seas- for me personally is that there are too many people on the ship. I just feel claustrophobic. Today was the best day- because everyone got off when we docked and we used the pool and the interior of the ship was refreshingly quiet.

If you don't mind sleeping in a mall with lots of people and noise- then this is the ship for you.

I like a more formal ship, with fewer people, more places to contemplate the sea, etc. This just isn't a fit for me. If you are a Holland America, Princess or Celebrity fan- you aren't going to like it here.

Kids- on the other hand- will love it.

Hello!

I'm glad your son loves the ship.

I know how you feel:D We sailed on the Mariner of the Seas and I felt that was very crowded. We always had a hard time finding seats for the buffets and spent a lot of time walking around like stalkers waiting for people to leave.

That said we still had a great time and I hope that you do too.

We are booked on HAL's new Eurodam February 7. This will be my first time on HAL. I hope to like it.

My kids are looking at RC's Oasis of the Seas....I don't know about that many people.

Have a wonderful time

Karen

Rebecca! Hey lady!!!!! :D:D:D

I can't imagine how slow your internet connection is right now. So I won't ask you alot of question.

I told you my kids love that kind of ship....lol. :p

"Sleeping in a mall"....lol. Nope, never felt that way. But I knew this cruise was a stretch from your normal ship. :) Have a great time. And I hope things get a little more comfortable for you.

Don't get me wrong we are having a good time. It is way better than being in Baltimore, where they are braced for an ice storm. Thankfully schools are closed in my area so Marc may end up only missing one or two days from school.

We stayed onboard yesterday and enjoyed the nearly deserted pool. It was great.

I think that I am getting tired of the Caribbean in general. I notice that on European and Transatlantic cruises you meet many more people from all over the world. I find this interesting- especially since I am a single traveler and like to chat with people. I have met some nice people on this ship too and I have formed a trivia team with a couple from PA.

Things I miss...

Fewer crowds- this has been a complaint from every passenger I have spoken with (and I hadn't commented about this).

Crowsnest lounge for a bird's eye view

Al Fresco dining- non existant, unless you eat outside Johnny Rockets.

The mall is great for kids but I find it claustrophobic, since there are no windows.

I just feel that Royal has their market and it just misses the mark for me because I like to spend alot of time outside and the pool is an absolute zoo. Also, the pools are very cold which they were heated in Europe (I know spoiled!).

Michele- I see that you have quite a few cruises booked for the future. You are going to have a wonderful time in Italy!! Once you go to Europe though- you'll want to keep going back. I am ruined now for all other vacations!

No heaters?:confused: That was a lifesaver back in November! In the main pool area it was the pool to the right that was heated, if you are looking directly at the pool. In the H20 zone, it was the pool to the left with the steps!!

Rebeccalouise, I hope you find a special sanctuary! Did you go to the Solarium??

Thank you so much for posting live. Wish I was there with you!

Neither of the outdoor pools is heated- we tried both of them. As a consequence I have seen very few people (if any) in th main pools. The hot tubs are full of people.

In the H2O Zone the above ground pool was tolerable but it wasn't heated by any means.

I have visited the Solarium but the problem is that since kids aren't allowed in there- I am always at the H2O Zone.

We are really enjoying the ship on port days when everyone gets off.

You will have a good time on this cruise- I just prefer a more formal ship. We are docked next to Crown Princess and I was glancing over and wishing I was on that ship instead. But that's just me.

No one comes around to take drink orders by the pool. It is a long walk to the Windjamer if you want to dine by the pool and since there are no trays in the Windjamer- one must make multiple trips. We have been eating lunch and dinner by the pool though and it is quite nice. Interestingly enough- no one comes over to clean the tables by the H2O zone and so the dirty plates sit there. I guess not too many people eat outside by the pool. We appear to be the only ones. What a shame- I hate sitting inside in the Caribbean. I can sit inside at home.

We have been eating lunch and dinner by the pool though and it is quite nice. Interestingly enough- no one comes over to clean the tables by the H2O zone and so the dirty plates sit there. I guess not too many people eat outside by the pool. We appear to be the only ones. What a shame- I hate sitting inside in the Caribbean. I can sit inside at home.

Understand completely! I missed the outdoor grill that Princess offers right by the pool that had hamburgers, hot dogs, french fries, and pizza! :)

You are missing a BLIZZARD Rebecca. :eek: Airports and flights into Baltimore/Dulles and Reagan are cancelled like crazy this morning. School is cancelled here too. :( Let me out of here...lol.

Now about the Indy-the drink thing is so odd. One complaint on the Dis board about RCCL was that they pushed alcohol too much at the pool...lol. Maybe because you are at the H20 zone...they are trying to keep the drink pushers out of that area?

The juice bar is right there at the H20 zone to get sodas and then the bar is on the other side at the main pool right?

You are missing a BLIZZARD Rebecca. :eek: Airports and flights into Baltimore/Dulles and Reagan are cancelled like crazy this morning. School is cancelled here too. :( Let me out of here...lol.

Now about the Indy-the drink thing is so odd. One complaint on the Dis board about RCCL was that they pushed alcohol too much at the pool...lol. Maybe because you are at the H20 zone...they are trying to keep the drink pushers out of that area?

The juice bar is right there at the H20 zone to get sodas and then the bar is on the other side at the main pool right?

That is horrible weather, get out of there now! ;) I think it's 79 here today, but a cold front is expected for this weekend, but no blizzards!!:eek:

When we were there last November, they came by every 15 minutes or so....! We didn't have the crowds that Rebecca Louise is explaining, either, so maybe that could be it! Yes, the juice bar is right there in the corner....

That is horrible weather, get out of there now! ;) I think it's 79 here today, but a cold front is expected for this weekend, but no blizzards!!:eek:

Nooooo, no cold fronts in Florida!!!!!!!! It isn't true. :eek: It MUST be 80 degrees and beautiful when I arrive. Do something about that please? Thanks. :D

So sorry you wish you were on another ship. We are going on the Indy in 3 weeks, getting a little nervous about it after reading this. How is your room? We are going to be in the very back, hope it is smooth sailing back there. Hope something wonderful happens for you today.

So sorry you wish you were on another ship. We are going on the Indy in 3 weeks, getting a little nervous about it after reading this. How is your room? We are going to be in the very back, hope it is smooth sailing back there. Hope something wonderful happens for you today.

Sandra, not to discredit what Rebecca is saying. But FloridaGirl and I can assure you that these are wonderful ships. They are the best for Family Cruisers.

Rebecca has a different expectation out of her cruises. It's not wrong or bad...it just different than what I, FloridaGirl or maybe you expect.

I have never experienced a crowded area on a Freedom class ship. I have never been denied attention from the bartenders at the pool. I love that the kids aren't allowed in the adult only solarium because when my kids are at Adventure Ocean, then that is where I am, the solarium. I don't need to eat my food outside. And if I did, then I would carry my plates from the Windjammer outside to the tables on either side of the H20 zone.

Do you have an Aft balcony? You say that you are in the "very back". I have an Aft Balcony and I can assure you, it is one of the most coveted spots on the ship.

Is this your first cruise Sandra? Or have you sailed before?

I do feel better now. Actually this will be my 15th cruise, but my first with an indoor cabin and my first aft (8699). Looks like a long way to the nearest elevator but I don't mind walking. Husband has bad knees, but we can do it. We love cruising --the best way to get a real vacation. Thanks for your input. Sandra

crusinmama-you always have the perfect way of articulating what I'm thinking!;)

Every cruise line has so much to offer. It boils down to personal preferences! I remember my very first cruise and the travel agent telling me to try 3-4 different lines over several years to get a 'feel' for it.

For right now, RCI matches our personal preferences. I still like Princess and Carnival! MUTS on Princess is great and Carnival's food is our favorite! RCI gives the entire family something to do together and apart! Trust me I'd love to go on more formal cruise with everyone, however, I am outvoted by my dear family!!:( Also, I'm ready for a European cruise!:D We'll get there eventually!

Rebecca-We love hearing everything about your experience, good, bad or indifferent...it gives a balance to reviews!

Sandra-you are so right about being the best vacation!! I hope you love Independence!

Hi Rebecca-Louise - I hope things have improved a bit and you had a relaxing time staying on board.

I almost booked the Independence of the Seas but I was worried about the same things as you and your feedback has helped make my mind up. The promenade looks pretty on the pictures but I don't like shopping at the best of times, so I'd hate to feel like I was in a mall. Apparently, they are not heating the Independence pool in Europe, this year either. And it sails out of Southampton, which doesn't exactly have guaranteed sunshine.

One day, I will try the big ships but I think I'm going to try Legend, Brilliance, or Celebrity Summit first. I've only been on Disney and I thought that was massive.

Neither of the outdoor pools is heated- we tried both of them. As a consequence I have seen very few people (if any) in th main pools. The hot tubs are full of people.

In the H2O Zone the above ground pool was tolerable but it wasn't heated by any means.

I have visited the Solarium but the problem is that since kids aren't allowed in there- I am always at the H2O Zone.

We are really enjoying the ship on port days when everyone gets off.

You will have a good time on this cruise- I just prefer a more formal ship. We are docked next to Crown Princess and I was glancing over and wishing I was on that ship instead. But that's just me.

No one comes around to take drink orders by the pool. It is a long walk to the Windjamer if you want to dine by the pool and since there are no trays in the Windjamer- one must make multiple trips. We have been eating lunch and dinner by the pool though and it is quite nice. Interestingly enough- no one comes over to clean the tables by the H2O zone and so the dirty plates sit there. I guess not too many people eat outside by the pool. We appear to be the only ones. What a shame- I hate sitting inside in the Caribbean. I can sit inside at home.

That's kind of the beauty of the solarium. ;)

I'm enjoying reading this "Live from" thread. Rebecca, please post more. So far our family cruises have all been on Princess and Celebrity, and we have been very pleased. But the kids (DD's ages 8 and 12) want to try out one of the RCCL Freedom class ships. I'm thinking that they may love it but DH and I may have a similar reaction to yours.

What do you think of the food in general and the dining experience (esp. compared to Princess and Celebrity)?

--Junglejane

Hi Rebecca and everyone else!,

I'm enjoying this live review from the Independence, and the conversation in general. DH and I have two small children, and haven't taken them on a cruise yet, but it's in discussions for the future when they're a little older. We've been on RCI twice, and will be sailing on NCL in a few months. On the Indy, are you allowed to leave your children (3-12) on the ship with the counselors and go on shore? Or do you have to pick them up on port days and take them with you? I know I read that Oasis will be having their place open from around 9-5 or so, but was wondering if this was something that was already implemented in the Freedom class vessels, etc.

From the way things look, it seems that what RCI has in the way of families on the new Oasis class ship may fit us, but we're also looking at Carnival and Cunard. But I still have questions. Essentially we want to be able to enjoy our own time, and know that our children will enjoy their time on the ship as well. But without having to watch the clock every 3 or 4 hours for pick up time.....we want to pick them up and drop them off when we want to (outside of evening hours of course) as we want to be able to relax and go on shore excursions. I like knowing my kids don't want to leave their programs, and would rather have their own vacation. :D

I'm looking forward to whatever you all share, take care. :)

--cruiselife8/Saundra

Archived