Paying for your cruise in Canadian Dollars

:) Our Canadian Dollar is taking a real hit now. The cost of cruising has really increased from not so long ago when we were at par!

Although I live in Canada I always book my cruises through TA's in the US as I find they are a lot more price competitive.

I have just booked a Celebrity Cruise leaving from Newark in October, Celebrity's website offers the option of booking in Canadian dollars V USD. I got great prices from the US agents, they even upped the $200 OBC being offered by celebrity by $100 but when I did the exchange math it worked out that I was paying $500 more per inside cabin if I paid in USD to a US TA rather than booking directly with Celebrity in Canadian Dollars.

I know Royal Caribbean offers this option as well. Not sure if any of the other cruiselines offer this though.

Just wanted to share this tip as it saved our group a lot of money.

:)

I always though the canadain price was just an estimate. Did it show up on your credit card statement as the exact price quoted? I purchased a pre cruise hotel in Can $ but it was still charged to my CC in us $ and ended up costing me more based on my CC's exchange rate.

Yes, My visa bill is already in and it is the exact amount that I expected. I also spoke with Celebrity and asked them this question, they said the cost is what they quote in Canadian Dollars, not an estimate.

Hope this helps :)

And Royal Caribbean and Holland America are offering only about a 1% price difference in Cdn vs US $ for the exchange.

Eg. RCCL is showing a rate in October for a suite for $799 US and $819 Canadian. No brainer - I booked the Canadian price. Did the same for a cruise in March 2010. Wanted to lock it in before they updated their exchange rates.

Carnival charges a 27% exchange rate. That hurts.

Most cruiselines will book you in CAD but at their conversion rate which may or usually not in your favour. It is usually better to take the USD rate & let the CC company do the conversion

Be sure to ask hat the cruise line conversion rate is ...it i9s usually 10+ % more than the daily bank rate.

some cruise lines will not let Canadians book in USD eg:Princess

HAL's exchange rate is so favorable we too have booked a 2010 cruise in Cdn $, knowing EXACTLY what we'll be paying and locking it in. Last year, though, the HAL Cdn/US exchange rate was unfavorable, so we paid in US$ for both our cruises.

(We also hedged our bets a bit, buying a future cruise credit in US $, so we don't get any aggravation next time we want to use US $)

Archived