Machu Pichu

Elcruzer

We are planning a cruise that stops in Lima overnight. Would it be possible to take a tour to Machu Pichu in that timeframe?

Sorry, no.

The last train to MP leaves at 9:00AM (Hiram Bingham-very expensive and not worth the extra money).

And even if you were able to get on the train the second day, you would be setting yourself up for a bad case of altitude sickness. Unless you live at a very high altitude and are used to very thin air, you need at least one (and I always recommend two) days to do basically NOTHING. You can get very sick from AMS and if you don't get to a lower altitude, you can die.

Sorry, just no chance with only about 36 hours.

We are planning a cruise that stops in Lima overnight. Would it be possible to take a tour to Machu Pichu in that timeframe?

We were on Norwegian Dream in 2005 and the ship offered a 3 day tour to Cusco and Machu Pichu. We left the ship in Lima, flew up to Cusco and had 2 nights in a hotel there. The middle day was taken up with the trip to Machu Pichu. We then flew to the next port to resume the cruise.

It was an expensive trip but worth every penny as it was an unforgettable experience. We needed the time to aclimatise to the altitude and several people were grateful for the presence of the ship's nurse who administered oxygen and pain killers to those who experienced altitude sickness. My DH was fine but I had an excruciating headache which the medication helped.

I would highly recommend the trip. We loved it.

We were on Norwegian Dream in 2005 and the ship offered a 3 day tour to Cusco and Machu Pichu. We left the ship in Lima, flew up to Cusco and had 2 nights in a hotel there. The middle day was taken up with the trip to Machu Pichu. We then flew to the next port to resume the cruise.

It was an expensive trip but worth every penny as it was an unforgettable experience. We needed the time to aclimatise to the altitude and several people were grateful for the presence of the ship's nurse who administered oxygen and pain killers to those who experienced altitude sickness. My DH was fine but I had an excruciating headache which the medication helped.

I would highly recommend the trip. We loved it.

We are also taking the NCL tour to Machu Pichu in April 2009 but we leave from Arica and re-join the ship in Lima as it is a repositioning tour to Los Angeles. Do you recall what medication it was that you took for your headache? We have been told that aspirin makes the headache worse but one of the other painkillers helps. We are also considering taking preventitive medication which is available. Don't recall the name and don't have the information at work with me right now, but we will be discussing with the travel clinic when we get our yellow fever shots next week.

We were there this time last year. We went straight from the Cusco airport to Machu Pichu and avoided the high altitude of Cusco. Machu Pichu is about the same altitude as Vail, Colorado. We were served coca tea on the plane to Cusco, on the train, and at the hotel in Machu Pichu to prevent altitude sickness. None of us got sick. The part of our group who chose to stay in Cusco were all sick from the altitude.

We were there this time last year. We went straight from the Cusco airport to Machu Pichu and avoided the high altitude of Cusco. Machu Pichu is about the same altitude as Vail, Colorado. We were served coca tea on the plane to Cusco, on the train, and at the hotel in Machu Pichu to prevent altitude sickness. None of us got sick. The part of our group who chose to stay in Cusco were all sick from the altitude.

Was this a ship's tour or independent? Did you fly from Lima and did you just stay 1 night in Machu Picchu?

Thanks to all for their input

Was this a ship's tour or independent? Did you fly from Lima and did you just stay 1 night in Machu Picchu?

Thanks to all for their input

Please be aware, as posted previously, there is NO WAY to get to MP with only one overnight leaving from Lima. Even if you take the earliest plane out of Lima (5:45AM), you would have a VERY hard time making the Hiram Bingham train. This train leaves from Poroy at 9:00AM. AND you have be be bussed or take a taxi to Poroy. So by the time you arrive Cusco from Lima, get out of the airport, get a taxi direct to the train, you MAY make it, but just barely. BUT you cannot make the 5:45AM plane on the day the ship arrives.

They discontinued helicopter service from Cusco to MP 3 or 4 years ago due to environmental concerns. So the 6, 6:50 and 9:00AM trains are the only transport available to MP in a single day. You can't drive although you can hike the Inca trail. But you sure won't make it hiking in a day.

If you only have the one overnight, have you considered reboarding the ship at your next port stop (usually Arica Chile if going SB or Manta Ecuador NB). Both places have no direct flights from Cusco, but it is doable with a small amount of planning.

It's true that if it's possible to not stay long in Cusco (11,000 feet altitude) and get to MP quickly you might avoid the headache...however you're still going from Lima, sea level, to about 7-8000' at MP which can certainly also bring on a headache and nausea. Best bet--hydrate, hydrate, hydrate and also drink, suck the coca tea/candy/leaves etc. Also there is a pill you can get but some people get tingly fingers from it or blurry vision. (I think it's called Diamox). You can read a lot about all this on Trip Advisor. MP is definitely worth a work-around to get there and see it but be sure you have enough time to do that. And, as stated, the only way to get there is first a several hour train ride, and then a bus, so it takes some time. In high season, there are sometimes few seats left on the bus/train also so check in advance.

We are also taking the NCL tour to Machu Pichu in April 2009 but we leave from Arica and re-join the ship in Lima as it is a repositioning tour to Los Angeles. Do you recall what medication it was that you took for your headache? We have been told that aspirin makes the headache worse but one of the other painkillers helps. We are also considering taking preventitive medication which is available. Don't recall the name and don't have the information at work with me right now, but we will be discussing with the travel clinic when we get our yellow fever shots next week.

I'm sorry, I don't know what the medication was but it was in tablet form and did the trick quite quickly. We were advised to drink coca tea which I did but found it was a diuretic for me so had to stop taking it!!!

I do hope you enjoy the trip as much as we did. Just be prepared for a really hair raising bus ride up and down the mountain. It is incredibly steep. Also try to sit on the left side of the train facing the engine going to the Machu pichu station and the right side coming back as you get better views.

Archived