help- first time cruiser with kids (5,10,11) which cruise line is best?

busymomcanada

We are first time cruisers- and we would like take a short term cruise in April (4 days) and we are considering Royal Carribean (Majesty of the Seas). However, I am wondering if this is the right choice- some other ships have water slides for the kids etc- but I am wondering if the other ships are too 'party' oriented. I am also concerned about excursions- the whole point of a cruise for us is the stopovers at different places.

I know the majesty of the seas has some of the smallest cabins around, but with the cruise I am thinking of- there is a stop everyday. So I am not sure if this will be a problem (we will be booking two rooms).

Any recommendations or tips would be appreciated.

Thanks,

busymomcanada:)

None of the ship's are "party oriented"--some folks will be making the most of their cruise, but not all. How much YOU party is up to you--and it won't affect your family at all.

As long as you're getting 2 rooms, space won't be a problem, especially with ports everyday and will be off the ship most of the time!

Do some research on your ports--there may be lots to do that doesn't even require excursions. If you can grab a cab to go somewhere, you'll save TONS of money! Many things, especially beaches, are easily done on your own. Your library will have guidebooks in the travel section--for free!

It's the short cruises that tend to be hard partying cruises. People try and shove 7 days of partying into 3 or 4 days. Plus, the older ships have far less to do than the newer ships.

Unless you have a connecting cabins, those with an inside door between the two cabins, you will not be allowed to book your kids into a cabin by themselves. The rule is you need to have someone 21 years of age or older in the cabin with the kids. Also, IMHO, kids the age of yours are really too young to be alone in a cabin unless it's connecting. Anyone can have access to that cabin and while people like to think ships are totally safe, they do have some unsavory characters on board.

Unless you have a connecting cabins, those with an inside door between the two cabins, you will not be allowed to book your kids into a cabin by themselves.

Not completely true on RCCL. On RCCL parents can book their own children into the cabin next door or directly across the hall from theirs without an adult being booked in the room.

i like RCC for kids...when we took the grandkids last year (about your kids age) they loved the dancing at the sail away party..there is always music going around the pool...the g-babies didn't like the kids club, they liked swimming everyday..i will give you a word of advice..schedule a few hours in the afternoon (we did it 2 hours before dinner) the kids take a nap, my g-kids loved the shows and we were at karaoke every nite, and we were up late....pick one excursion, i find that they got bored easily all they want to do is swim and eat ice cream cones

We found RC to be very family friendly. There is something for everyone.

Don't worry about the size of rooms too much - you will only use them to sleep and change - so much to do!

There are party people on every cruise but so much room and so much to do that you dont have to be near that atmosphere - they have plenty of lounges and nightclubs for that.

Archived