Scuba Diving on the cruise

Lightsdarkness

I'm planning my first cruise with my girlfriend and I'm a scuba diver. I haven't been diving in year and I'm really excited. We are probably going to go with one of the big name cruise ships. DO the cruise ships offer diving trips or anything like that. If so do they usually offer a intro class for new divers.

or this something that I have to find at one of the ports?

Once you pick your cruise you'll get lots of advice on the ship diving trips and trips arranged privately. I have only been on three ships in the caribbean and all had dive excursions so I would imagine most do, but I do not know about instruction onboard. We usually try to arrange our dives in port privately.

Is there any chance your girlfriend can get scuba classes in before you leave? It is probably less expensive to do so at home than to pay the price on-board. And if she gets everything done but a last certification dive some operators will do that for you on vacation. Our son did that in Grand Cayman. Have fun planning. Cherie

"Is there any chance your girlfriend can get scuba classes in before you leave? It is probably less expensive to do so at home than to pay the price on-board."

Sorry to butt in. I was reading the thread and that caught my eye. There's enough time on a cruise for a non diver to get proper training? I thought it took a couple months of classes to get certified (??) Sounds interesting.

"Is there any chance your girlfriend can get scuba classes in before you leave? It is probably less expensive to do so at home than to pay the price on-board."

Sorry to butt in. I was reading the thread and that caught my eye. There's enough time on a cruise for a non diver to get proper training? I thought it took a couple months of classes to get certified (??) Sounds interesting.

In order to get certified it will take about 3-4 hours of classroom training - a medical waiver/clearance - a swim test - 2 pool sessions - and 4 open water dives (normally done in 2 days - 2 sets of two). You can get certified on a cruise, but you will spend the 1st 3-4 days doing it. At one time Princess offered certification aboard ship, but I think they discontinued their program. I don't think NCL or Royal Caribbean offer programs - and I don't know about any other major lines.

A better bet would be to do your classroom and pool sessions at home and then do your open water dives on the cruise. You can normally arrange for "referral dives" at any ports the ship visits - your local dive shop will be happy to assist you with this. It is a little more expensive than doing it all at once, but probably no more expensive than the cruise line would charge.

From beginning to certification can be done in 4 days. One day of classwork, one day of confined drills (usually in a pool) an 4 open water dives. You can do the classwork online, check them out at PADI's website. I got my OWD card in 4 days on St. Croix in 2005.

I was on the Carnival Victory in December and of the 6 islands we went to, only two of them had diving excursions offered through the ship and one was the Discover Scuba course.

Most cruise lines allow you to see what excursions are usually offered at that port. If your ship is not offering one, post on here asking for who is recommended at that port.

To become certified at diving, are there any kind of weight to height, or generall over all fitness requirements?

no not at all. i got certified when I was 12. I don't know what minimum age is now. I think you have to be able to tread water for 5 minutes from what I remember.

Plenty of trips for certified divers. And another option would be to arrange a day outside of the ship where snorkelers are also welcome. We have been diving/snorkeling with Alison in Cozumel twice and it was great. If Cozumel turns out to be one of your ports this would be an option to also spend the day together. Most other ports we do separate trips for divers and snorkelers. We have tried combination trips most places and some work and some do not. Most of the time the divers are happy and the snorkelers are just o.k. A combined outing would be an option in some ports. You are going to have a great time choosing your cruise!!!! Cherie

To become certified at diving, are there any kind of weight to height, or generall over all fitness requirements?

Not weight or height requirements per say. However one should be in good shape overall, no seizures, shunts and things of that sort. There is a medical screening and you may or may not have to get a waiver from a doctor.

i got certified when I was 12. I don't know what minimum age is now.

The minimum age for certificaton is 10 yrs old.

I'm more curious if its typical for the cruise ships to offer diving trips for already certified divers.

Yes, typically ships offer diving excursions for certified divers. However, I would recommend searching this board and booking your own excursions. You will not only save money, but you will also not be on cattle boats with lots and lots of divers. You just have to be cognizant of the time you have to be back on the ship and pre plan, allowing yourself plenty of time to return to the ship. If not, they ship may leave you. However, if you are on a ship sponsored excursion they will wait for you.

She most likely won't get certified at least right now, maybe in a few years from now.

Another perk of booking your own diving excursion is t another option you can do. It is called a "resort course" or "discovery course" Its basically a crash course in scuba. They teach the basics.....using the bc, clearing the mask, mask squeeze, etc..... Overall it takes approximately an hour or so. Then they can go diving to a max depth of 40 ft. They will give your gf a card. Be sure to save that card because she can use that to dive throughout the cruise. Thats what I did for my sister being that I am certified and she is not. She had a blast!!! I have an up coming cruise in May. Again I am certified and my fiancee is not. I am not sure if she will get certified between now and the time we go on our cruise. However if she is not then I plan on having her do the resort course. Good luck!!

We have a Scuba Cruise going to the Caribbean in November; please stop by the group forum for more info. I think there's still some space left, but even if you are not interested, we have lots of great dive related articles and other dive stuff there up for grabs.

Good luck!

Suzi

Just how big is Big Steve? You do have to pass a physical fitness test during your certification. This involved a 400 M swim and treading water I think for 15 minutes. I'm 6'1" 240-250# and I was able to pass these easily.

I'm more curious if its typical for the cruise ships to offer diving trips for already certified divers.

Yes, they do. They also offer Discover Scuba dives for non-certified divers as well. Of course, dive excursion availability will vary depending on which ports of call you visit.

The way shore excursions work is that the cruise line contracts with companies at each port of call to provide the shore excursions they sell on the ships. In most cases, you can make your own arrangements and cut out the cost the cruise line adds to the trip. Sometime you can same money, but not always.

Pros of making your own arrangements, at least for diving:

• usually cost less (but not always very much less)
  • not limited on bottom time, dive your own profile
  • can choose a smaller boat which will be less crowded
  • can have a voice in decided the dive site
  • smaller operator, more personal service
  • better choice for more advanced divers
  • you can shore dive if you want, which is much less expensive and not dependent on someone else's schedule. Grand Cayman is especially good for this.

Cons:

• more work for you to make plans, get to the meeting place
  • ship won't wait if you are late, but being late is highly unlikely

Going with the ship's excursion

Pros:

• easy planning
  • gear is often included
  • good choice for the once a year cruise diver
  • you get to dive with other people from your ship
  • ship will wait if you are late ( this does matter to some people)
  • easier logistically at some ports, especially Belize, or if you arrive in port too late for the morning dive boats from private operators

Cons:

• Usually cost a bit more, sometimes a lot more
  • usually larger boats which can usually mean more people, but not always
  • usually predetermined dive sites
  • usually bottom times are predetermined, or everyone has to surface when the first person is low on air.
  • dives are often follow the leader type dives, which is especially annoying for advanced divers or photographers

I hope this will help others decide which to choose, as there is no one right answer for everyone, every time.

Just how big is Big Steve? You do have to pass a physical fitness test during your certification. This involved a 400 M swim and treading water I think for 15 minutes. I'm 6'1" 240-250# and I was able to pass these easily.

BIG Steve used to be big as in "Linebacker big." However, that was too long ago. Now I say BIG Steve, because my oldest is also named Steve. I call him "Little Steve" but he's much bigger than I. He's about 6ft 3, and weighs in about 240 or so. I used to look like a linebacker. He looks like a mountain.

Oh well. The swimming I could do. I've never tried to tread water for more than a couple of minutes. Anyway, right now it's a pipe dream. Wonder why I never tried diving 30 years ago?

As far as passing a fitness test. I'm in shape. Round is a shape, isn't it? ;)

I got my advanced diver from NAUI over 20 years ago and I've always been skeptical of the "cruise/resort courses". There are so many things that can go wrong on a dive for example you can blow an ear drum at 8 ft. I don't think i'd ever recommend one of the quickie courses just to go down.

BIG Steve used to be big as in "Linebacker big." However, that was too long ago. Now I say BIG Steve, because my oldest is also named Steve. I call him "Little Steve" but he's much bigger than I. He's about 6ft 3, and weighs in about 240 or so. I used to look like a linebacker. He looks like a mountain.

Oh well. The swimming I could do. I've never tried to tread water for more than a couple of minutes. Anyway, right now it's a pipe dream. Wonder why I never tried diving 30 years ago?

I was originally certified in 1969, but did not dive for 30+ years and was recertified on my 59th birthday. I am 6'1" and 230# and had no trouble with the swimming or treading water - and I was not in particularly good shape. A year earlier I had a TIA and got medical clearance from my doctor prior to recertifiecation. In the past 3 1/2 years I have logged over 200 dives. It is NEVER too late!!!

just get certified you won't regret it!

I was originally certified in 1969, but did not dive for 30+ years and was recertified on my 59th birthday. I am 6'1" and 230# and had no trouble with the swimming or treading water - and I was not in particularly good shape. A year earlier I had a TIA and got medical clearance from my doctor prior to recertifiecation. In the past 3 1/2 years I have logged over 200 dives. It is NEVER too late!!!
Welcome back.

A couple of months :eek: I did a 4 night weekend class and did 1 weekend open water dives and I'm certified OW NAUI.

An average person probably would get more out of a certification course doing it over time than in a weekend - those classes tend to go into more detail; a lot depends on how well you retain teachnical stuff. I am not saying this to scare you - I too took the class over a weekend and got my open water dives out of the way the weekend after that!

Diving takes practice - the more you dive, the better you get. The class teaches you all the technical stuff, but it's applying it that takes a lot of time and practice, and that is something you won't get out of a class, so if you can, you're better off taking the class that fits your learning style and spend more time diving!

Those "executive" or weekend course work great for some and not for others. Also, you can get a DVD now and complete all your classroom stuff at home. Then, it's simply a matter of taking the test and the pool work. I didn't have the DVD - rather I simply had to read the book and do the chaper exercises on my own. It's not rocket science - even teens do just fine completing the class and passing the course work. The time spent in the pool is far more valuable.

True.. a weekend course is no for everyone.. for me it was great.. I learned what I needed to learn. I went diving in Cozumel 2 weeks ago and LOVED it. Was confident with my skills and learned out of drift dive. I do have the DVD's they came with the class I took along with the workbooks.

I don't know if they still do but RCI used to certify you on a 7 day cruise and the cost was not that much higher than what it cost me in the states. The + of getting certified on a cruise is all your dives will be in warm, clear, beautiful water with relatively few people. The - side is it will take up some time from your cruise.

I am also a scuba diver (15 years now) and have dove several times with RCI - will be going again to S. Caribbean cruise on RCI next month :-). I have done both the "private" book your own dive and the ship dives before. Personally, I like the ship dives better. The ship uses local vendors for their excursions to the dive sites but the equipment I have rented from the ship is top notch and usually much better than that at the local dive shop on the island. At one place in Barbados that we booked on our own we actually had to swim out to the boat about 200 yards off shore with our dive equipment in hand, board the boat and then go to the dive site. Pretty funny actually but not what you would want a first time or second time diver doing.

Also RCI used to have the "resort dive" program as well where you don't have to be certified. They take you no deeper than 35 -40 feet. That way your SO can try it out before spending the $$ for full certification.

Hope this helps

SEB

If you can afford it, the cruise to take to get your PADI cert. is Paul Gauguin in Tahiti with Regent Seven Seas Cruise.

They have their own dive master on board and they launch their dives off the back of the ship.

And yes, you will be spoil for life after the trip.:p

Archived