How cramped will we be??

RadChick

Cruising on the Elation in April with my bf and my kiddos (who will be almost 5, almost 6, and almost 7 at the time) and the 5 of us are in an inside cabin. It seems to be one of the only ships that lets you have 5 in an inside cabin. I can't really change it at this point, I am just curious as to *just how* miserable it's going to be. ;)

Cruising on the Elation in April with my bf and my kiddos (who will be almost 5, almost 6, and almost 7 at the time) and the 5 of us are in an inside cabin. It seems to be one of the only ships that lets you have 5 in an inside cabin. I can't really change it at this point, I am just curious as to *just how* miserable it's going to be. ;)

RadChick,

I haven't sailed Elation and I haven't sailed in an inside, but I have cruised with five in one room; myself, DW, DS 4, DS 7, and DS 9 and we were far from miserable. We had plenty of room and though we have had two rooms each time since, I wouldn't hesitate to do it again. :)

Try to imagine yourself in a smaller than Motel 6 room with one bed and then bunk beds over you and also a cot/sofa bed....With a small bathroom...Certainly do-able but it will be a bit cramped. Look at it this way...Your not in there that much!;)

You guys are going to be so busy it won't be any big deal. You will have a blast. Make sure the kids go to the kids clubs (they will love them) that way you guys will be able to have some time to yourselves. Have fun!

with our 3 kids. It is not bad at all. We don't spend much time in the cabin so that helps. The key is to not let them bring toys/stuff (maybe a stuffed animal each or something) and if you are bringing it for car ride/plane ride, leave it packed away so nothing gets lost. We unpacked the first day and then put dirty laundry in an empty suitcase. The key is to put everything in "its place". My 14 YO even said it was not bad, she was expecting it to be horrible with 5 of us. We sailed with them first when they were 3, 6, and 11. This last trip we just returned Sat from they were 6, 9, and 14.

You will have a blast! Personally I would rather "squeeze" in one cabin and have more money for spending on other stuff!

You'll be fine. It will be close quarters, but with small children, you just don't have any other option.

Get the kids involved with Camp Carnival immediately. They'll make friends and have fun participating. Plan family stuff out and about on the ship and keep busy. Just don't plan on spending much time in your stateroom.

Bathroom time and changing clothes may be your biggest challenge. But you can make it work and have a great cruise.

You are on a cruise, no misery allowed! your kids are young, how much room can they possibly take up? If your two younger kids dont mind sharing a bunk you will have more floor space without the rollaway. Dont worry, it may be a little tight, but you wont be miserable, you spend very little time in the room besides sleeping and getting ready for dinner, have fun!

You'll be fine.

Just don't plan on spending much time in your stateroom.

Bathroom time and changing clothes may be your biggest challenge. But you can make it work and have a great cruise.

^ Exactly. Also, getting ready for dinner and such shouldn't be too big of a hassle since the kids are young enough they don't need to "primp" :)

We are just off of the Fantasy and did it quite successfully. It really wasn't a big deal at all. Our steward left the roll-away under one of the berths during the days while closing the other above our bed. We had plenty of space to sit during the day and as long as everyone was neat, there were no problems to speak of. One hint I can give you is to limit your kid's possessions to what can fit in a small bag. Every time we left the cabin, all DS's, books, stuffed animals, etc. were put in their bags. I think this is easier on your steward to keep up with the cabin as well as not getting overrun by "stuff". And as far as being a grown-up in a cabin full of kids, Camp Carnival is wonderful ;).

Not cruising but we 5 have piled into rooms all over the world, from reasonable size ones to tiny things. And the kiddos are now nearly grown. We treat it as an adventure and it is a chance to either 1) have a great and silly time together or 2) kill them. Or at least threaten to. Usually 1. The only issue will be what to do in the evening when you put them to bed and you still want to play. Better bring a good book and booklight.

We did 5 in a OV room on the elation a few years back when the kids were 9, 15 and 17. We had no problem at all and really never felt crowded. Two adjoining rooms was about $600.00 more so we chose just to go with the one room. They did leave the rollaway out during the day but since we did not spend much time in the cabin it was not a problem. The one thing I would recommend is a over the door shoe hanger to keep all the little stuff organized (cameras, sail and signs, sunscreen ect). You will have a great time.

You will be cramped in there, but not too miserable. It just takes some planning. Have only done four in an OV on the Paradise, but OV is the same size as IS. Paradise and the Elation are sister ships.

There are only four drawers, two hanging areas and a few shelves. Just bring a minumum of clothes and shoes. My DH brings only brought two pairs of Dockers for our last cruise and a nice tropical shirt for 'Casual Elegant' night. The rest in our group either wore jackets without ties or ties and dress shirts. The gals were not that dressed up either, mainly slacks and nice tops.

The bathroom will be a challenge because there is no shelf under the sink, only a medicine cabinet above.

Keep the bottom beds as twins, it will give a lot of extra room in the middle. I know that isn't too romantic.:rolleyes:

Remember to store your luggage under the beds.

And have fun!!

that our 6 YO (she is only 42 lbs) slept with someone else so we wouldn't have to deal with the rollaway. We each got one of the shelves (me, dh, 14 YO dd) in the closet for our clothes, each little girl got to share 3 drawers and we put the hair dryer, hair brushes, etc in the top drawer to keep clutter to a minimum. my 14 YO is VERY into primping and we had no problem. :)

Archived