swim with the dolphins or waverunners out to see stingrays?

jaredcoreymama

This is a tough choice but I would say that you can do the dolphin swim in many places but there is only one stingray city. I would probably do the stingrays at the Caymans and try to catch the dolphins somewhere else.

I hope this helps!

Enjoy!

"Dolphin Cove" in Grand Cayman is wonderful and offers an excursion that includes a trip out to stingray city and a swim with the dolphins. They are both amazing and should not be missed if possible. It also makes for a very full day in Grand Cayman! I must also say that the natural setting of the North Sound makes a magical place for a dolphin encounter.

Enjoy!:)

We are completely torn about which tour to do. We have a 10 and an 8 year old and can't decide whether we should do the Royal Swim with the dolphins or do the waverunner tour out to the stingrays. This is our first cruise and they both look awesome! Any suggestions?

Hi, when are you sailing? having been to Grand Cayman before, we did enjoy the Stingrays and would only recommend it through a private tour company (we used Capt.Marvins) as thru ship their group size was so large.

While I wanted to do Dolphins myself (mom) price really added up for 4 people, and had other port activities to think about.

I know our two older teens have interest in waverunners, and cost was approx $95 for 30 min if just done at a beach rental. Another helpful CC member suggested grandcaymancruiseexcursion dot com and after reviewing website chose this company. We do not sail until June 14, 09 and can post trip report/feedback after that date. To me it is a bargain price of a small group tour on waverunners, stingrays, private beach and then returning to resort to enjoy beach and its pool. Even 8 year old can drive the waverunner, or pair up and ride double for cheaper. Now I know any child would love driving. :)

Hi, when are you sailing? having been to Grand Cayman before, we did enjoy the Stingrays and would only recommend it through a private tour company (we used Capt.Marvins) as thru ship their group size was so large.

While I wanted to do Dolphins myself (mom) price really added up for 4 people, and had other port activities to think about.

I know our two older teens have interest in waverunners, and cost was approx $95 for 30 min if just done at a beach rental. Another helpful CC member suggested grandcaymancruiseexcursion dot com and after reviewing website chose this company. We do not sail until June 14, 09 and can post trip report/feedback after that date. To me it is a bargain price of a small group tour on waverunners, stingrays, private beach and then returning to resort to enjoy beach and its pool. Even 8 year old can drive the waverunner, or pair up and ride double for cheaper. Now I know any child would love driving. :)

I would love to hear a review -- I also saw this excursion on this website and it looks great! I would really love to swim with the dolphins, but hate to pay the money x4 for such a short excursion. Please let me know how this excursion is. We are not traveling until April 2010 -- I am just very bored right now (I am a teacher and we are on snow day #10 in KY!!, so lots of time to plan my cruise!!!)

We had an incredible time with EBANKS wave runners. Our ship was late tendering and Shawn made accomadations to make me very happy. This is an awesome company! I highly recommend EBANKS wave runners. You can book online very easily.

We've been to Stingray City twice with Capt. Marvins and had a great time. We're booked to go back in May, but then I found this thread and would love to do the waverunners. Did you take kids? What time did you book? How many people can a tour have? We are cruising with friends and would like them to come along too. Any details would be appreciated.

Im booked with the grandcaymanexcursions for the wave runner tour in Grand Cayman. We are very excited to do it and I will post a review when I get back from the Ruby in April. Just a side note, we too have swam with the dolphins (did it in Cozumel with Dolphin Discover) and it was worth every dollar, we did the Royal Swim, so if its out of your budget for this cruise, then I would do the wave runners, but if you do the Dolphins then go for the Royal Swim, we spent so much time in the water with the Dolphins it was great.

Kathy

For those of you asking about the waverunners through Island Marketing aka grandcaymancruisexcursions, I can tell you that we have done it twice and are doing it again in April. So that should tell you something right there. ;)

Our first time was awesome. Last time was not as good but probably just in comparison. My advice is based on our second outing. If going with kids, you should drive the waverunner initially - the guides were very irritated that most people on the waverunners were going so slowly. And I mean very irritated. :( It made it hard to finish the excursion on time and even caused us to lose time seeing the stingrays and going to Rum Point at all. We ended up "snorkeling" in the middle of nowhere and there was nothing to see. So remember that the guides set the speed and you should keep up with them - this is not an excursion for anyone who doesn't really know how to operate a waverunner or is afraid to go at a decent speed - save those for the waverunners off the beach where they have the time to teach you. You get off the runners at Stingray City so you can switch drivers there - and the less experienced drivers might be more comfortable at that point. Our first time everyone kept up and we spent plenty of time at Stingray City and Rum Point.

For those of you asking about the waverunners through Island Marketing aka grandcaymancruisexcursions, I can tell you that we have done it twice and are doing it again in April. So that should tell you something right there. ;).

So Ebanks and Island Marketing are different?

Does anyone know if they're comparable? Which one should we use?

For those of you asking about the waverunners through Island Marketing aka grandcaymancruisexcursions, I can tell you that we have done it twice and are doing it again in April. So that should tell you something right there. ;)

Our first time was awesome. Last time was not as good but probably just in comparison. My advice is based on our second outing. If going with kids, you should drive the waverunner initially - the guides were very irritated that most people on the waverunners were going so slowly. And I mean very irritated. :( It made it hard to finish the excursion on time and even caused us to lose time seeing the stingrays and going to Rum Point at all. We ended up "snorkeling" in the middle of nowhere and there was nothing to see. So remember that the guides set the speed and you should keep up with them - this is not an excursion for anyone who doesn't really know how to operate a waverunner or is afraid to go at a decent speed - save those for the waverunners off the beach where they have the time to teach you. You get off the runners at Stingray City so you can switch drivers there - and the less experienced drivers might be more comfortable at that point. Our first time everyone kept up and we spent plenty of time at Stingray City and Rum Point.

What do you do with your valuables while on the excursion? Do they provide a secure place to store them at the resort beforehand?

Sounds like a great excursion. Thanks for your input! :)

You have two places to store valuables. They have a shack at the beach that you can lock up stuff while you are gone (towels, change of clothes etc). The waverunner also has a watertight compartment where you can store money, ID's, camera. They will ask for or hint for tips as well. :)

I would love to hear a review -- I also saw this excursion on this website and it looks great! I would really love to swim with the dolphins, but hate to pay the money x4 for such a short excursion. Please let me know how this excursion is. We are not traveling until April 2010 -- I am just very bored right now (I am a teacher and we are on snow day #10 in KY!!, so lots of time to plan my cruise!!!)

ooo and I thought we had snow problems in Indianapolis this year. I will certainly post a review, I hope a person sailing before me will do so too.

• 2 weeks later...
You have two places to store valuables. They have a shack at the beach that you can lock up stuff while you are gone (towels, change of clothes etc). The waverunner also has a watertight compartment where you can store money, ID's, camera. They will ask for or hint for tips as well. :)
Just trying to figure out logistics-

1.)get of tender, catch a cab (our choice) to resort

2.)start wave runners here to Stingray City

3.)Go to Rum Point

4.)Back to resort -is there a pool or beach here?

Questions I have-

do sunglasses work well on waverunners, what about towels for Rum Point- or just there for short period don't need them.

I recall getting salt water in eyes- would swim goggles be totally geeky?? Any details is appreciated. Our tour is at 9am GC time- hope it is warm in June!

We've been to Stingray City twice with Capt. Marvins and had a great time. We're booked to go back in May, but then I found this thread and would love to do the waverunners. Did you take kids? What time did you book? How many people can a tour have? We are cruising with friends and would like them to come along too. Any details would be appreciated.

As I mentioned we booked grandcaymanexcursions dot com for June cruise and I had the same type of questions prior to booking. The website is very helpful overall, I submitted my initial inquiry as to date our cruise ship was in, and that we would like two double waverunners versus 4. They sent me an availablity email within 15 minutes. I saw tours for 9,10,11,1 but 10am alternate weeks, and I figured 1pm was too late for ship tendering. So we are going for 9am tour. GC is one hour ahead in DLS time so gives us a bit more time to get to tour start time. I also read on website they limit tour to 6 waverunners. I will post review after our June trip.

Buffet, there is a pool at the resort and both times we have gone we were the only people at the pool. It's actually a nice quiet little place. Not much of a beach other than waiting for the waverunners. Great frozen drinks too. :) You will need to bring towels from the ship. As for sunglasses, we have bought those little rubber band thingies to keep them on. I also have used swim goggles which Mr Wolf says are geeky but I have contact lens so salt water in my eyes is a double tragedy. :D Besides you want to have your eyes open and the spray can get you - depending on how aggressive you are.

We did the sea doo to stingray city tour with fat fish adventures on Thanksgiving day. Peter (the owner) was an AMAZING guide!

This is a smaller company and they treat you like old friends. It was just the 4 of us all day and we had the time of our lives!

I HIGHLY recommend them!

:D

We did the sea doo to stingray city tour with fat fish adventures on Thanksgiving day. Peter (the owner) was an AMAZING guide!

This is a smaller company and they treat you like old friends. It was just the 4 of us all day and we had the time of our lives!

I HIGHLY recommend them!

:D

I read all the positive reviews on Travelocity and would have loved to use them. We are a group of 12 and need six waverunners. They emailed me back and recommended Ebanks so I'm going with them.

"Mrs Wolf" thanks for reply. So I am not the only contact wearer thinking of this- I know I may put a facecloth in a ziploc to wipe eyes too.

I was thinking of goggles as I will be back passenger likely in double set up. I'd rathe see than squint, will definitlely look into the sunglass leashes or Croakies I think they are called. My DH insisted his sunglasses stay on all the time and moments later after my warning lost them on Thriller Boat ride in St. Thomas- so if anyone finds a pair in the Caribbean Sea....

Looking forward to it.

Did you leave ship towels at pool then- stored away? or bring with you on charter bus?

(For use at Rum Point)

I recall getting salt water in eyes- would swim goggles be totally geeky??

Swim goggles work. And you'll need something to protect your eyes from the spray. Even if you're fairly tame with your driving skills, if there's waves you'll get sprayed no matter what. Waverunners are a "wet" activitity. :D

Another option is wraparound-style sunglasses. I found a fairly cheap plastic pair at a discount store that cover the sides of my face as well as my eyes, and attached a floater cord to them. They work pretty well to protect from spray as well as sun, and the cord keeps them on my face as well as keeping them afloat if they fall off.

Archived