Do many people stay onboard in ports?

Due to walking difficulties I will not be leaving the VOS much when we go on our european cruise. I am planning to go to maybe Rome on the train for a few hours and possibly Nice as I have not been there before. could never manage a full day trip or getting on and off a coach so will not be going on any of the RCI trips.

Do many people acually stay on board during the day ? My 19 year old hates sightseeing and will stay onboard with me while husband and son will do the trips. Will there still be things going on during the day, thinking more about my daughter than me.

thanks

Sometimes staying onboard is just the best! No crowds & it's very peaceful. After being to the same ports again & again I love the somewhat empty ship. So, yes many don't get off at all the ports, and that's another great reason to cruise...everyone can do their own thing.

Jan

I frequently stay on the ship, I personally love having the ship pretty much to myself. My destination is the ship, not the ports. I've found that there is plenty to do.

I complete agree, I love relaxing by an empty pool on port days. Also, you can take advantage of port day specials in the spa.

You shouldn't miss seeing Europe just because you have difficulty walking. Just rent a wheelchair, and enjoy! Life is too short to not experience all you can.

Last I checked, Northern Ireland, whence the OP hails, was part of Europe (although not the Continent).:) And even if she were not, there are loads of places that are not wheelchair friendly, so that "suggestion" might not work for her.

To the OP, there's no reason to wear yourself out if you don't want to. I have stayed onboard in ports where I've already been or am just too tired or lazy to get off the ship. Not in Europe, mind you, but in my own back yard. Enjoy your cruise!

thanks guys , I just could not face the pain a full day walking/coach trip would cause me , would take me 3 days to recover lol

I don't think that you booked this cruise...........knowing that you were just going to walk...............I think that you have cruised enough........to know your boundries...........and you are just asking if it's OK to just relax..........and the answer is very obviously YES!!

We all cruise for different reasons.........and have different capabitities.

I love sea days...............which is why I prefer a Transatlantic over a port intensive cruise...........any day of the week. Especially if I have been there and done that!!

Kick back, relax............and don't do anything that takes any time to recover!! I'm just glad that you are sailing!! Keep it up!!:D

Rick

You shouldn't miss seeing Europe just because you have difficulty walking. Just rent a wheelchair, and enjoy! Life is too short to not experience all you can.

I do not think hubby would appreciate having to push me about in a wheelchair lol Luckily I have been to Europe many times as we live in UK and apart from 3 trips to Florida all other holidays have been in Europe including weekends now and again. We cruised about 6 years ago so have been to a number of the ports going to this time so do not feel missing out to much. Would be different if going somewhere different, thats for next time lol

I must say one of my holidays was a week all inclusive in Turkey, I left the hotel twice and it was great just relaxing by the pool with a book. From teh replies I do not feel to guilty now.

Archived