Canada + Interior

I know this is a CRUISE critic forum and as such the information discussed herein primarily revolves around Canadian ports, etc., but what about the interior of Canada? Can any native Canadians or Canada travelers who have spent time in the interior suggest any particularly great places to visit or things to do in the interior? I realize Canada is a truly huge country and this question may seem entirely too broad but surely some especially GREAT adventures will immediately come to mind for some of you. Those are the excursions I'd like to know about, that ones that immediately pop into your mind and are remembered as truly wonderful. Thanks.

I know this is a CRUISE critic forum and as such the information discussed herein primarily revolves around Canadian ports, etc., but what about the interior of Canada? Can any native Canadians or Canada travelers who have spent time in the interior suggest any particularly great places to visit or things to do in the interior? I realize Canada is a truly huge country and this question may seem entirely too broad but surely some especially GREAT adventures will immediately come to mind for some of you. Those are the excursions I'd like to know about, that ones that immediately pop into your mind and are remembered as truly wonderful. Thanks.

Do you know which area of the country you would like to explore?

Just a few that comes to mind for me:

- Canadian Rocky Mountains

- Prince Edward Island

- Ottawa

- Whistler, BC

Our border with the US is 8,893 Kms. long. Is there a spot where you are likely to cross :)

The rockies

Prairies

Either coast

& Niagara Falls.

northern (well its' actually central) Ontario in the fall for the colours.

I should have realized my question was way too broad to be able to be answered, considering the immensity and diversity of Canada. To narrow things down a bit, I imagine we'll take the ferry from Bar Harbor to Yarmouth, do the typical Bay of Fundy and Nova Scotia itineraries, but we'd then like to head inland. The big cities of Quebec and Montreal don't really interest us. Big cities are the same anywhere. So I guess we are looking at New Brunswick and Quebec provinces. Does this narrow things down a bit? We are not youngsters but are in good health and enjoy seeing the countryside.

I should have realized my question was way too broad to be able to be answered, considering the immensity and diversity of Canada. To narrow things down a bit, I imagine we'll take the ferry from Bar Harbor to Yarmouth, do the typical Bay of Fundy and Nova Scotia itineraries, but we'd then like to head inland. The big cities of Quebec and Montreal don't really interest us. Big cities are the same anywhere. So I guess we are looking at New Brunswick and Quebec provinces. Does this narrow things down a bit? We are not youngsters but are in good health and enjoy seeing the countryside.

How many months do you have?

I'll deal with a few areas of Quebec. You can always call Tourisme Quebec. The official website is at http://www.bonjourquebec.com/

You have the Ssouth shore and the north shore... the shores of the St-Lawrence river. To the east you have the Gaspe region, then the lower St-Lawrence region, leading to Quebec city, the centre of Quebec, Montreal and then the Outaouis (near Ottawa). To the south of the centre you also have the eastern townships and the north the Laurentians. You also have the north shore including the Charlevoix as well as the far north and Cree and Nunavit regions. Not to mention the islands, especially the Magdalen islands, which are closer to PEI then to Quebec proper.

Of the things that you should do in Quebec are probably the Gaspe region and Perce rock. On the north shore, Baie St-Catherine and the whales and Charevoix.

I wouldn't avoid Quebec city or Montreal. Unlike many places these are not non-descript cities. Quebec city is the oldest city in North America. It's walled. Montreal is one of the oldest cities in North America. Old Montreal has the Notre Dame Basillica, a small verison of the Paris original. But Montreal can take more planning, because you may want to plan to be in Montreal during certain festivals. (the Jazz festival, the Humour festival, etc.)

This is what I would suggest:

- ferry to Yarmouth - drive along the coast - take in a lobster dinner in a local coastal community

- explore Halifax for a couple days

- drive the Cabot Trail in the Cape Breton Highlands National Park

- drive across the Confederation bridge to Prince Edward Island - maybe explore Charlottetown and Anne of Green Gables at PEI National Park.

- explore the Acadian Coast of New Brunswick.

- drive the Gaspe Peninsula in Quebec.

- explore Quebec City - although a large city - its a city like no other in North America - the old city is like being in Europe.

- if you are religious - Saint-Anne-du-Beaupre is a famous shrine many people take pilgrimages to - easy drive from Quebec City.

All three Maritime Provinces have designated scenic routes - from routes along the ocean to along rivers and countryside.

I would suggest requesting their travel guides - they offer a lot of suggestions on itineraries.

While you are correct that most large cities are the same, I have to beg to differ when it comes to Quebec City. This city is the most quaint, cultural city with a European flavor that I have ever visited. Be sure to visit it, I think you will love it.

In Nova Scotia, Peggy's cove is a must, Lunenberg is a wonderful nautical place, you will love the bay of fundy - go whale watching and see the tidal bore. Be sure to see cape breton island-one of the most scenic drives anywhere. Visit Annapolis Royal and do the midnight cemetery tour of the oldest cemetery in Canada - excellent.

In New Brunswick, be sure to see the Hopewell Rocks and watch the tide go from low tide to high tide twice a day - amazing to see. In Moncton, visit magnetic hill - a lot of fun, where your car will roll UP-hill! Visit Shediak to see the worlds largest lobster and eat some great seafood (Everywhere down east there is great seafood!)

There is so much to do is Eastern Canada and it is absolutely beautiful. Welcome to our Country and enjoy your visit! :)

I don't consider Montreal and Quebec city to be typical North American big cities. They definitely have a European flavour. Quebec City is a UNESCO world heritage site (as is Lunenburg , Nova Scotia). Think Boston with a French air....

Other sites that might be of interest :

- Miguasha National Park (in Quebec, near the New Brunswick border), renowned worldwide for its fossil-rich cliff and recognized as a UNESCO World Heritage Site,

- Joggins, Nova Scotia is also a new UNESCO site renowed for its fossils.

Enjoy your trip!

Quebec City is quite possibly the most beautiful city we have ever seen (next to beautiful Vancouver - you're all welcome here! Come visit!!). OP, I do hope you'll make time for this charming, historic city.

Pics in my sig from Explorer Sept. 2008, pages 11 - 16. We had two glorious days there due to an itinerary change en route.

Acey gave you great suggestions but I would add Peggy's Cove, Lunenburg and Hopewell Rocks for sure (I think Hopewell Rocks is my favorite place on earth... yet).

We are talking about several weeks for this type of trip. If you have only a week or two, I would keep it to Nova Scotia and New Brunswick (maybe PEI since it's very close but it makes a lot to visit in a short time).

• 2 months later...
This is what I would suggest:

- ferry to Yarmouth - drive along the coast - take in a lobster dinner in a local coastal community

- explore Halifax for a couple days

- drive the Cabot Trail in the Cape Breton Highlands National Park

- drive across the Confederation bridge to Prince Edward Island - maybe explore Charlottetown and Anne of Green Gables at PEI National Park.

- explore the Acadian Coast of New Brunswick.

- drive the Gaspe Peninsula in Quebec.

- explore Quebec City - although a large city - its a city like no other in North America - the old city is like being in Europe.

- if you are religious - Saint-Anne-du-Beaupre is a famous shrine many people take pilgrimages to - easy drive from Quebec City.

All three Maritime Provinces have designated scenic routes - from routes along the ocean to along rivers and countryside.

I would suggest requesting their travel guides - they offer a lot of suggestions on itineraries.

Your information about Nova Scotia and Prince Edward Island is very helpful. Any suggestions of Inns or B&Bs in Baddeck, NS and Charlottetown, PEI?

Archived