First time cruisers: Formal evenings?

RoseH

We are cruising for the first time on Feb 8th on Caribbean Princess from Fort Lauderdale. We are flying from London on 1st Feb and staying for one week in Kissimmee then driving down to FL. How formal are the formal evenings on CB? We do not want to overload our baggage with v formal evening dress if it is not really necessary. Is a blazer and slacks for men (with a tie) considered formal enough?

Also, roughly how long is the drive from Kissimmee to FL? :):)

We are cruising for the first time on Feb 8th on Caribbean Princess from Fort Lauderdale. We are flying from London on 1st Feb and staying for one week in Kissimmee then driving down to FL. How formal are the formal evenings on CB? We do not want to overload our baggage with v formal evening dress if it is not really necessary. Is a blazer and slacks for men (with a tie) considered formal enough?

The drive from Kissimmee to FLL port is approx. 3 hours. Depending of course whose foot is on the accelerator. :)

Men usually wear a suit or tux, but they'll still feed him wearing a blazer. Not to worry. ;)

We were on the Ruby the week of 1/17. and decided to cut back on our formal attire due to increasing luggage restrictions on US airlines (that was our excuse, anyway.) DH wore a blazer, dress slacks and tie --- I was afraid he would feel out of place but he didn't, there were other men in similar and some with just a jacket but no tie. I have to say, though, that almost all the men I saw wore at least a jacket--- some threads here say that a good amount of passengers go to the DRs in casual clothes on formal nights, but that wasn't our observation on this cruise. I took 1 long knit black dress and 2 somewhat fancy tops to go over it and this was fine. I also saw a number of women in dressy black slacks with nice tops. Actually, it worked out fine and we were quite comfortable without our usual tux or dark suit for him, beaded tops or gowns for me.

Rose... quick question...

We are also sailing for the first time on Feb. 8th on the Caribbean Princess... however the CB is sailing from San Juan, not Ft. Lauderdale!

I'm confused!! Are you flying from Ft. Lauderdale to San Juan?? Are you sure you are sailing on the CB?? I just want to make sure that we are all in the right place at the right time!!!

And btw... we have a "roll call" going for the Feb. 8th sailing. Come on over and say hi!!

Amy

We were on the Ruby the week of 1/17. and decided to cut back on our formal attire due to increasing luggage restrictions on US airlines (that was our excuse, anyway.) DH wore a blazer, dress slacks and tie --- I was afraid he would feel out of place but he didn't, there were other men in similar and some with just a jacket but no tie. I have to say, though, that almost all the men I saw wore at least a jacket--- some threads here say that a good amount of passengers go to the DRs in casual clothes on formal nights, but that wasn't our observation on this cruise. I took 1 long knit black dress and 2 somewhat fancy tops to go over it and this was fine. I also saw a number of women in dressy black slacks with nice tops. Actually, it worked out fine and we were quite comfortable without our usual tux or dark suit for him, beaded tops or gowns for me.

I too was on that cruise and saw quite a few still in their shorts and a group were wandering about that had obviously just come out of the jacussie!! They wouldn't be allowed in the restaurants of course but they'd probably dine in the buffet. There were many in smart casual

Rose... quick question...

We are also sailing for the first time on Feb. 8th on the Caribbean Princess... however the CB is sailing from San Juan, not Ft. Lauderdale!

I'm confused!! Are you flying from Ft. Lauderdale to San Juan?? Are you sure you are sailing on the CB?? I just want to make sure that we are all in the right place at the right time!!!

And btw... we have a "roll call" going for the Feb. 8th sailing. Come on over and say hi!!

Amy

She must mean the CROWN which sails RT from Ft. Laud. on the 8th and erroneously referred to it as the CB.

Putting in a tie wouldn`t put your weight up. Remember, dinner suit, suit, or blazer and trousers all weigh about the same so it`s up to you, but I would not say a blazer is formal wear.

Saying that, I am sure the men look just as smart.

Putting in a tie wouldn`t put your weight up. Remember, dinner suit, suit, or blazer and trousers all weigh about the same so it`s up to you, but I would not say a blazer is formal wear.

Saying that, I am sure the men look just as smart.

Is a blazer the same thing as what we call a "sport coat" in the U.S.?:confused: If so, that is what my DH wears on formal nights (dark color). Always has, on 25 or more cruises and never a problem. (He does wear a tie!).

The Ruby is the first ship in 15 years and 32 ships that I have seen the word "or tux" removed from the formal evening wear guideline.

Without the "tux" suggestion why are they still calling it "formal"?

Why not just "dress up and look good night" because that's about all it was. Very few tuxes on last week's cruise. Ladies as usual looked fine but men seem to thing "anything goes" and it does. I saw a few Rodney Dangerfield's as if they were headed to the golf course after dinner. A few with only a dress shirt, no tie. Some with sport coat, no tie. T shirts with sprot coat even some with winter jackets over their nicely pressed Ruby T shirts.

I did see a gentleman turned away wearing shorts on a casual night.

At least Princess seems to still up hold that rule.

Is a blazer the same thing as what we call a "sport coat" in the U.S.?:confused: If so, that is what my DH wears on formal nights (dark color). Always has, on 25 or more cruises and never a problem. (He does wear a tie!).

My hubby only wants to bring sport coat + tie... glad to hear we can do this.

A blazer, mostly navy or black, usually has gold buttons.

Archived