River and barge cruises

tayl

1)We are looking at either a river or barge cruise to Europe in 2010. Anyone have experience with this type of cruise?

2)We also have two female friends who are looking to get married in Amsterdam.

Does anyone know where we could find this service? Are there other places besides Amsterdam that perform same sex marriages?

While same sex marriages are embraced here in Canada, they would like to get married in Europe if possible.

Our cruising background (several cruises) has been with Princess, Holland America and Seabourn.

We prefer a smaller more upscale line similar to Seabourn, but will consider any suggestions from those who have experienced this type of journey.

Thank you in advance for your advice.

Hello Denise (tayl),

Replying from Halifax! My partner and I went on a river cruise in 2007. We sailed with Amadeus Waterways on the Amalegro between Budapest and Nuremberg (Prague). We had a great time. We were the only gay couple on the ship, but that did not matter. We had a great time, enjoyed the cruise and the cabin very much, made friends with an older American couple and ended up spending quite a bit of time with them. They were very nice, had travelled a fair bit, and enjoyed our company.

Amadeus Waterways is a very nice company. Their ships are tastefully decorated, at least the Amalegro (Klimt prints throughout -- I did not know Klimt did such beautiful landscapes!), the food was excellent and service was impeccable. Wine was included with dinner. Staff was so nice, and it was such a treat to be able to talk to them, because they really wanted to talk to you and share their experience.

We had a nice itinerary, visited amazing spots, enjoyed the cruising down the river and just plain loved it. We've been to Europe several times and always loved the experience -- food, people, scenery, atmosphere, complete change in general feeling.

Our cruise director, Debbie, was incredible. Aside from being gorgeous, she was just so efficient, organised and pleasant. What a treat she was! How lucky AMA is to have her. I hope she still works with them because she must be making a lot of people very happy!

Can't help with your other questions but I hope my glowing comments about AMA Waterways are helpful! :D Check their website (amadeuswaterways.com), they have a lot of itineraries that are just so enticing. Can't wait to go back.

Sylvain

Hi Denise,

My partner and I also did an AMA Waterways cruise. We were on the Amadante for 2 weeks from Amsterdam to Budapest, and had a similar experience to Sylvain--excellent food and service, amazing scenery and we were also the only gay couple but everyone was welcoming. However, if you are looking for an experince comparable to Seabourn, you might want to check out Peter Deilman river cruises as they have been rated as a bit more upscale but not as inclusive.

Sylvain--it seems we have similar tastes in cruises as we are booked (our honeymoon) on the Azamara Quest May 16 Best of italy cruise. We were actually looking at the western med but loved the Italy itinerary.

Best,

Annie

I agree with the others, a river cruise is great. But it is a very different experience than an ocean cruise. RSVP is using Amadeus for two river cruises this summer, though they are not advertised on their website. I have also done a couple less upscale trips and they were fun too. There are lots of choices.

Sylvain, Congratulations and have fun on your honeymoon. My parents went on Azamara to Europe (incl Italy) this past October. They were very happy with the whole experience and wouldn't hesitate to sail this line in the future.

FYI-my partner is originally from N.S.-a town called "Aylesford" near Middleton, in the "valley",as she puts it.

Sylvain, Congratulations and have fun on your honeymoon. My parents went on Azamara to Europe (incl Italy) this past October. They were very happy with the whole experience and wouldn't hesitate to sail this line in the future.

FYI-my partner is originally from N.S.-a town called "Aylesford" near Middleton, in the "valley",as she puts it.

Hello Denise,

I am not the one on my honeymoon, it's Annie. I wouldn't want to steal her spot! BTW, Congratulations, Annie! :D My partner and I are not married, but we still did the Amadeus river cruise as our celebration of 25 years together! After that many years, I suppose it is as if we were married... there's no point going back!

Annie's comments are right on when comparing AMA and Peter Deilman. I would suggest Amadeus as a very safe and good start, and then you can choose to try PD another year. It's all up to you, your budget and the itinerary you are looking for. From what I remember, AMA included guided tours in each stop along the way (excellent guides and very good visits), save for a few extras that you could buy if you wished (Salzburg tour, evening concert in Vienna, Schönbrunn Palace visit).

Ah, the beautiful Annapolis Valley, a very nice area of Nova Scotia. We go down the valley a few times during the summer, just for Sunday drives; but it is particularly nice in the fall with the fruit and vegetables stands and the landscape being so full and colourful. I really enjoy NS as my home.

I would sail again on AZA without hesitation. I'll just have to be patient and spread my pleasure over the next few years/decades; can't spend all my money right now... I intend to travel when I retire, so I must pace myself! ;)

Sylvain--it seems we have similar tastes in cruises as we are booked (our honeymoon) on the Azamara Quest May 16 Best of italy cruise. We were actually looking at the western med but loved the Italy itinerary.

Best,

Annie

Hello Annie,

You have chosen a fantastic itinerary which includes a few overnights. What a treat. And two weeks! Enjoy and, again, congratulations!

Let me know if you want some tips on Florence/Pisa and Rome visits.

Sylvain

Thanks for the congrats--we have actually been together for 14 years (not including a year we were together when we were kids). We are really looking forward to the Best of Italy cruise and chose it because of the overnights. Sylvain--your cruise looks pretty nice too!! Denise--try the river cruise--it's a great experience--especially sitting on top watching the scenery.

Best,

Annie

Archived