query about how a 15 year old can settle bills onboard

ta tommy

My daughter's friend will be travelling with us on the crown princess in July. Does anyone know if it is possible to fill in her online cruise personaliser with her mother's Visa account details since she is too young to have her own? In this way she can have anything she buys being debited from her mothers visa. Obviously she can only do that onboard as when we go on land she will use cash. Anyone ever had a similar experience or can give me any advice. Thanks

On Princess, they have always taken an imprint of our card at boarding even if the information was already in the cruise personalizer. Perhaps the mother could contact the credit card company and have another card issued on her account with her daughter's name on the card. She can always get it back from her daughter after the cruise if she doesn't want her having it.

I had a VISA card with the same number as mine issued to my 16 year old daughter for a trip to Europe last year. Fortunately, she didn't need to use it and I took it away from her upon her return ;)

You could then set up her set sail pass with the number and her name, it's a lot more difficult to use a credit card that doesn't have the persons name on it. They may even deny her the use of the credit account. She could also set up the onboard account in cash or travelers checks.

It took about 2-3 weeks to issue the VISA, so don't wait too long if you choose this option. I'm sure most credit card companies will do the same for you.

We took our friend's daughter once at age 15. She had no credit card- but we had discussed and made clear that she would pay whatever she put on the card. It was easy for us to see who was whom as each of us had a different number. (this was on Carnival and that is how they did it then in 2000) at the end of the cruise-she owed us around $50 and she paid us.

Now I suppose that would depend on whom it is you are taking and if you can trust them. We knew this girl and her mother very well, so we were not concerned

My suggestion is-now that can you can buy VISA gift cards for various amounts-have the girl's parent do that- and then have her own account set up with that-or cash can simply be put down. A daily limit could be put on the girl's spenture. EX.- if Mom gives her $300- you could have it set up that she can't put over $43 a day on her card.

I am sure she can get her own account. I know my daughter, at age 16, spent $200 at the on board salon once-it was money that her grandmother had given her to spend on what she chose-and she intended pay us-but my husband was still angry-as the highlights would have been $80 at home.

After this my daughter "smartened" up. She saved her money up for the next cruise-(she had a part time job) and set up on her own account which she put cash down on-and she never allowed my husband or I to know what she had spent on anything. Of course. she also managed to get Dad to buy her a Shirley Temple or other virgin drinks (as she was still under age for alcohol) with HIS card! She also talked me into buying her things at the gift shop-LOL- and of course we paid her tips-but anyway I digress- My point is they CAN set up their own account with cash, or with a Visa gift card with a limited amount of cash on it- that their parent has given them.

Another option would be for the mother to Pre-pay a certain amount on your credit card and settle up when you get home. That way a budget is established. You can even monitor with a "balance sheet" she fills out at the end of every day. Good lesson in budgeting for a 15 year old.

I have a 15 year old daughter and sometimes they tend to "forget" or "fudge" what they actually have spent. She has her own debit card and account, that has helped a lot.

Good luck with two 15 year old girls. double the luggage and double the trouble!

So good of all of you to share your ideas and experiences. I do know the girls' family but i have mixed feelings as what I should do. The thing is that my dad is the one who treats me and my 3 kids to a yearly cruise and it's his Visa that is billed. I'm sure he won't say no if I had to ask him to put the girl on his account too but I don't think it's right not unless I have exhausted all other possibilities.

Another option would be for the mother to Pre-pay a certain amount on your credit card and settle up when you get home. That way a budget is established. You can even monitor with a "balance sheet" she fills out at the end of every day. Good lesson in budgeting for a 15 year old.

I have a 15 year old daughter and sometimes they tend to "forget" or "fudge" what they actually have spent. She has her own debit card and account, that has helped a lot.

Good luck with two 15 year old girls. double the luggage and double the trouble!

Ha ha! not only 2 15 year olds but a 17, 12 and 87 year old. Have done it before though without my daughter's friend.!

on the form, doesn't it ask if the card belongs to 'you' or not? So there is an option to say 'no'

Yes....true. As a matter of fact I was just going to go ahead and fill it in but I then thought that I should ask before I do anything.

Have her parents set her up with on board credits. They just put money in her name in her on board account, and then she can use that money for whatever she wants. She can set up her account with cash, and whatever is left from the original cash and the on board credits, she can get back at the end of the cruise.

Archived