Tips on the Carnival Pride - First timer on Carnival

Windy56

My husband and I, both in our 50's, are planning on booking a cruise out of Baltimore in July, on the Pride. It is our first time on a Carnival ship. We have cruised on RCL, Celebrity and Princess. Love to hear some recent comments about this ship including:

what shape it's in - any signs of serious wear and

tear

entertainment - love to social/ballroom dance and

love comedians

food - what's the quality and variety like and

are hot breakfasts available through

room service or is that only for

passengers in suites?

pools - freshwater or saltwater and are they

heated?

We are thinking of booking an aft facing cabin and would love some feedback on this, too. How much bigger is the balcony? They say 50% but the diagram makes it look twice the size. Is the motion that much greater? Is there a soot problem?

We would appreciate any feedback we could get on this ship. When it comes to Carnival we are real "newbies"!! Thanking everyone in advance!!

It's been a year or so since I was on the Pride, so some of this may have changed.

I love the Sprit Class of ship. More room per passenger than any other I have been on.

I don't remember any serious wear and tear issues, but we were on it shortly before a drydock. That was last October, I think. Any of those issues should have been taken care of.

Entertainment will have changed with the move from the west coast. Lots of different lounges and entertainment areas with different styles to all of them. Read the Capers to find what/who is playing where. I've loved the midnight comics, but found their regular shows just as funny.

You will be pleasantly surprised by Carnival's food. Most who have sailed several lines say it is better than some, and equal to all. I have not sailed other lines, so nothing to compare it to.

Don't use room service, I am an early riser and get into the buffet areas before they get busy. DW gets whatever I bring down for her.

Pools are all saltwater. Don't know if they heat them, but they always felt fine. Hot tubs are also nice.

I've sailed insides and standard balconys only, so can't comment on the aft ones. I do like to sit near the aft pools, and didn't notice the soot on the Pride like I have on other ships (Fantasy Class).

Enjoy your cruise.

My husband and I, both in our 50's, are planning on booking a cruise out of Baltimore in July, on the Pride. It is our first time on a Carnival ship. We have cruised on RCL, Celebrity and Princess. Love to hear some recent comments about this ship including:

what shape it's in - any signs of serious wear and

tear

entertainment - love to social/ballroom dance and

love comedians

food - what's the quality and variety like and

are hot breakfasts available through

room service or is that only for

passengers in suites?

pools - freshwater or saltwater and are they

heated?

We are thinking of booking an aft facing cabin and would love some feedback on this, too. How much bigger is the balcony? They say 50% but the diagram makes it look twice the size. Is the motion that much greater? Is there a soot problem?

We would appreciate any feedback we could get on this ship. When it comes to Carnival we are real "newbies"!! Thanking everyone in advance!!

I can answer your question about the aft balcony, we had an aft wrap on the Pride. The part of the balcony where you can stand up, i.e. from the door to the railing is the same as any extended balcony, but there is more 'leg space' when sitting down because the glass below the railing is at a steep angle instead of straight up and down. We had no soot problems, but I have heard of others on this board who have. There are some pics in my signature. Also, there is no hot breakfast available via room service, not even for the suites, the menu is the same for all cabins.

It's been a year or so since I was on the Pride, so some of this may have changed.

I love the Sprit Class of ship. More room per passenger than any other I have been on.

I don't remember any serious wear and tear issues, but we were on it shortly before a drydock. That was last October, I think. Any of those issues should have been taken care of.

Entertainment will have changed with the move from the west coast. Lots of different lounges and entertainment areas with different styles to all of them. Read the Capers to find what/who is playing where. I've loved the midnight comics, but found their regular shows just as funny.

You will be pleasantly surprised by Carnival's food. Most who have sailed several lines say it is better than some, and equal to all. I have not sailed other lines, so nothing to compare it to.

Don't use room service, I am an early riser and get into the buffet areas before they get busy. DW gets whatever I bring down for her.

Pools are all saltwater. Don't know if they heat them, but they always felt fine. Hot tubs are also nice.

I've sailed insides and standard balconys only, so can't comment on the aft ones. I do like to sit near the aft pools, and didn't notice the soot on the Pride like I have on other ships (Fantasy Class).

Enjoy your cruise.

Thanks ver much for the information. Happy to hear about the comedians. I was on an 11 night Celebrity cruise over Christmas and New Years and not one comedian on the entertainment schedule and use that term loosely. My disappointment with their entertainment and food is what had made me consider Carnival. The more I read about it the more I shake my head and wonder why I didn't try Carnival a long time ago.

I can answer your question about the aft balcony, we had an aft wrap on the Pride. The part of the balcony where you can stand up, i.e. from the door to the railing is the same as any extended balcony, but there is more 'leg space' when sitting down because the glass below the railing is at a steep angle instead of straight up and down. We had no soot problems, but I have heard of others on this board who have. There are some pics in my signature. Also, there is no hot breakfast available via room service, not even for the suites, the menu is the same for all cabins.

Thanks for the response. I haven't read the capers before and so getting them will be really helpful. I appreciate it!

I look forward to your review - especially your comparison with RCCL, Celebrity and Princess.

I am looking forward to trying Carnival. I am starting to suspect that the much touted differences between Carnival and the others are not as significant as RCCL and Princess would want you to believe. I have posted a balanced review on our cruise onboard the Constellation over Christmas/New years this year. My expereince was such that I thought it was time to try Carnival.

Best tip I could offer is cabin 4228 or 4237 if you can (maybe the largest useable balcony space available).

Any aft cabin on deck 4 has full use of extended balcony as the railing is straight up and down, AND the overhead covers the complete balcony for plenty of shade. We stayed in 4228, the laundry is across the hall and down about 2 doors if you need it. And there is a stairwell two doors down that takes you to a large mostly unused deck (except for the muster drill). And the room has separate seating area, bedroom, dressing room, and bathroom w/jacuzzi type tub). It was too cool.

Best tip I could offer is cabin 4228 or 4237 if you can (maybe the largest useable balcony space available).

Any aft cabin on deck 4 has full use of extended balcony as the railing is straight up and down, AND the overhead covers the complete balcony for plenty of shade. We stayed in 4228, the laundry is across the hall and down about 2 doors if you need it. And there is a stairwell two doors down that takes you to a large mostly unused deck (except for the muster drill). And the room has separate seating area, bedroom, dressing room, and bathroom w/jacuzzi type tub). It was too cool.

Thanks...just took a look at it and the suite looks great. Not sure that a suite is in our budget, though.

Archived