insurance for alaska

jmezmom

Go to a site like insuremytrip dot com and look there. Even though you'll be in the US most of the time, your regular insurance won't cover trip delay or cancellation and stuff like that, and may not cover medical evacuation sufficiently if it's needed.

Here is a good article to read. Make sure you learn about pre-exiting conditions. This article opened my eyes to the need for insuring the entire trip. If you just insure part of your trip, they can deny your claim. Click on the links within the article for a lot of good information.

http://www.smartertravel.com/travel-advice/how-to-avoid-travel-insurance-gotchas.html?id=2805699&source=dealalert&value=2009-01-15+00%3A00%3A00&u=371F2D8DD1

At the beginning of a 14 day Cruise/Tour with HAL in 2007 I had started to not feel well, woke up in the hotel the morning of our flight from Seattle to Frankfurt feeling like death. By the time I arrived in Frankfurt later that day I was beyond miserable. I probably go to the Doctors once every 5 years or so, it pretty much takes an act of congress. I just kept feeling progressively worse and by the time I arrived at the hotel I was feverish and dizzy. I took it as sign that their was a walk-in clinic across the street. The drugs were almost $300 and the office call $200.

Moral the story, even though I was in the US, these charges could've been covered by my travel insurance instead of just applying to my deductable and coming out of my pocket. Insurance is so cheap compared to what it can save you. In this case just $500! Now can you imagine how much the bill would be to have somebody airlifted off a ship...and I know my personal insurance isn't going to cover that.

Moral of the story........yep, get insurance ;)

I agree with everyone that you NEED insurance.

However, if you purchase it from either your cruise line or your travel agent, be VERY CAREFUL. Oftentimes, especially from the cruise lines, the insurance does NOT cover pre-existing conditions or the bankruptcy of your cruise line, travel agent, or airline.

Recently, many, many people got burned (financially speaking) by Cruise Value Center, which abruptly went out of business. This has also happened with cruise lines -- when Renaissance Cruises and Premier Cruises filed for bankruptcy about 10 years ago.

Archived