How do you know?????

chloes nana

I read over and over where fellow CC'ers state that a cruise is either selling out or a cabin category is sold out or the cruise is some percentage full..How do you find out this info??? If I wanted to check if my cruise I am booked on is selling or what cabin categories are still available, is there a magic site I can go to? I don't want to call my TA all the time and ask her, can't I find this out on my own somewhere?:confused:

Just go on Travelocity and pretend you are booking. They have little flashing arrows on the available cabins in a category.

Except Travelocity's software (and the software used by most other travel sites) will only show up to 6 availabilities per category. SO, if there are less than 6 showing, it's probably a more definite number while 6 flashing arrows could be only the beginning of the number of empty cabins!

Bottom line, I don't know how those folks are so, so sure of the percent of occupied cabins at any given time!

No one, other than a cruise line knows, with certainty, how full a particular cruise is or not, before it sails. It's like showing your hand in a game of poker.

Some online travel agencies show some of the cabins, some of the time. And often times two different agencies will show the availability of different cabins.

Many online sites will however, report a sold out status and even then, people cancel and cabins are once again, for sale.

It looks like your cruise is more than 7 months into the future. I think it reasonable to assume it will sail full.

No one, other than a cruise line knows, with certainty, how full a particular cruise is or not, before it sails. It's like showing your hand in a game of poker.

Some online travel agencies show some of the cabins, some of the time. And often times two different agencies will show the availability of different cabins.

Many online sites will however, report a sold out status and even then, people cancel and cabins are once again, for sale.

It looks like your cruise is more than 7 months into the future. I think it reasonable to assume it will sail full.

great idea but Travelocity doesn't even offer the 20 day Mediterrranean adventure on the Noordam for 8/27/09? Any more ideas?

According to HAL's website for today, January 30, 2009, all cabin categories, with the exception of the Penthouse and NN inside cabins, are available for the Noordam 20-day Mediterranean itinerary departing on August 27, 2009. It's anyone's guess as to how many cabins remain in each category. For those who prefer Traditional Dining, I see that Early Upper Dining is waitlisted (not closed), and Main Upper Dining is showing available. This indicates to me that there are still a good many cabins not yet sold on this particular cruise, seven months in advance.

I could be wrong, but it seems I recall hearing at one time that some of the major agencies are allocated a block of rooms for their clients. If so, that would explain what you describe. At final payment time, unsold cabins go back into inventory for the cruise line to sell.

According to HAL's website for today, January 30, 2009, all cabin categories, with the exception of the Penthouse and NN inside cabins, are available for the Noordam 20-day Mediterranean itinerary departing on August 27, 2009. It's anyone's guess as to how many cabins remain in each category. For those who prefer Traditional Dining, I see that Early Upper Dining is waitlisted (not closed), and Main Upper Dining is showing available. This indicates to me that there are still a good many cabins not yet sold on this particular cruise, seven months in advance.

I have been watching the HAL website, just seems like some people have the inside edge on availability. Thanks I was wondering if there was a site that showed the availability on a particular cruise other than HAL's site. thanks for the help! I am sure there will be more down the line, I have never cruised with HAL or anyone before, a cruise virgin if you will. I am just lucky I guess to get the Noordam as my first experience. Just need to get some ideas as I go. thanks again for all the wonderful help from the fellow CC'ers!:)

great idea but Travelocity doesn't even offer the 20 day Mediterrranean adventure on the Noordam for 8/27/09? Any more ideas?

Cruises Only does have that cruise listed -- and the 2 categories I checked had all 6 vacancies showing (a list of cabin numbers rather than flashing lights!). So, it's "safe" to check there but you'll only get up to 6 vacancies per category. By the way, I think many bricks and mortar TA's use the same computer software system so I'm not sure their info is any more specific.

Good luck finding what you're looking for though.

Cruises Only does have that cruise listed -- and the 2 categories I checked had all 6 vacancies showing (a list of cabin numbers rather than flashing lights!). So, it's "safe" to check there but you'll only get up to 6 vacancies per category. By the way, I think many bricks and mortar TA's use the same computer software system so I'm not sure their info is any more specific.

Good luck finding what you're looking for though.

thanks!! ;)

They'll not be too happy about me telling you this, but you need to put in a name and an email address to access the booking section with the vacant cabin listings; I have always used a not-quite-accurate name/email :eek: since they don't contact you unless you are actually booking.

No matter what TA I use or cruise line I book through directly, I do a LOT of research beforehand, and this is always part of that!

I could be wrong, but it seems I recall hearing at one time that some of the major agencies are allocated a block of rooms for their clients. If so, that would explain what you describe. At final payment time, unsold cabins go back into inventory for the cruise line to sell.

That's not completely accurate. Yes, it is true that agencies do set up groups and have allotments which are released 90 days prior to departure. But that doesn't mean that once the 90 day mark rolls around availability drastically increases. And if the sailing is in high demand it isn't unheard of for the cruise line to recall space early.

Archived