North Van to Van -- water taxi?

CowPrincess

Is there still a water taxi from North Van to Vcr? If so, where does it "dock"? Would I need a cab to the cruise terminal (Canada Place)?

It's called the 'Seabus' and it's part of our bus system. Cost is $3.75 (2 zones) from North Van to Vancouver. It docks at "Waterfront Station", which is next door to Canada Place.

Here's the trick, to avoid to stairs and some walking once you're off Seabus. As the corridor joins with other corridors, you'll see a DOWN escalator on your right to the Skytrain (subway) platform, go down here. Walk the length of the subway platform to the far end, up the short escalator, turn right and up a second escalator. That puts you out on the street right in front of Canada Place without having to drag your suitcases up/down stairs or out onto the street. Otherwise you'll end up having to walk out onto W.Cordova up the street which is seriously under construction with a new subway line.

This map shows how close they are together. Seabus is the dotted blue line and the cruise ship terminal is, well, where the cruise ship is.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=&ie=UTF8&ll=49.287844,-123.109134&spn=0.004066,0.011373&t=h&z=17

Is there still a water taxi from North Van to Vcr? If so, where does it "dock"? Would I need a cab to the cruise terminal (Canada Place)?

TIA!

You bet there is, you are going back to where I lived for more than 50 years. However it is now called Seabus and goes back and forth from the Waterfront Station, just 100 paces east of Canada Place to the Lonsdale Quay which is just a block west of Londdale Ave. The boats run back and forth on a frequent basis. Here is a link and enjoy your trip "overseas";):

http://www.translink.bc.ca/Transportation_Services/SeaBus/default.asp

Excellent! Thank you both so much! A lovely lady we met on our last cruise has invited me to spend the pre-cruise night at her place in N. Van.... if I can save her the drive downtown I'd prefer to! If she'll let me :)

you are going back to where I lived for more than 50 years

My current next door neighbour used to live on Shoane (??) Rd.... anywhere close to where you were?

I am not familiar with Shoane Rd but there is a Fromme Rd. in Lynn Valley one of the areas of North Vancouver where I went to high school.

Hey, Putterdude, what school did you go to? Was Argyll built when you sent to school? My mom's family moved to North Van in the 30s. She had 9 siblings, so there were a lot of them and I have a ton of cousins, too. Two of my uncles lived on Ralph Road, and then a bunch over around Lonsdale and W King. Hmmm, in fact, one of them moved to Madeira Park and one to Davis Bay! Last name Nelsen.

Viv

Yes I was in the first grad class of Argyle. I grew up in the North Lonsdale area...on St. James and then Osborne. I new a family of Nelsens that lived on Osborne, their dad I think was a contractor ....perhaps in the paving business .... one of the boys was Rick and I forget the brother's name. I don't know the name on the Coast but I am a relative newcomer up there and I don't recall the name in the Valley but I wasn't really a valley guy. If I had one of my year books from Argyle down here I mights be able to connect the dots a little better.

I am not familiar with Shoane Rd but there is a Fromme Rd. in Lynn Valley one of the areas of North Vancouver where I went to high school.

Lynn Valley girl here - lived here for 20 years, but grew up on W. St. James by Balmoral Jr. High. I'm a Carson grad.;)

Lynn Valley girl here - lived here for 20 years, but grew up on W. St. James by Balmoral Jr. High. I'm a Carson grad.;)

Not a "Valley Girl":). I delivered newspapers down on W. St. James as a and a young person in the late 1950's. There were 2 families that I knew down there, the McDaniels and the Parishs. If you went to Carson instead of Delbrook then you are likely a little younger then me because my contemporaries went there before it burn't; I couldn't go there because we lived 1/2 east of Lonsdale. We raised our family up in the vacinty of Princess Park and our sons graduated from Carson.

Its amazing how us "Shore" people get around, I now live in AZ for about 5 1/2 months each year....guess which months? DW was a TA at Argyle in the mid to late 80's before moving over to Handsworth. We probably knew a number of your DD's teachers through the NSWC.

Not a "Valley Girl":). I delivered newspapers down on W. St. James as a and a young person in the late 1950's. There were 2 families that I knew down there, the McDaniels and the Parishs. If you went to Carson instead of Delbrook then you are likely a little younger then me because my contemporaries went there before it burn't; I couldn't go there because we lived 1/2 east of Lonsdale. We raised our family up in the vacinty of Princess Park and our sons graduated from Carson.

Delbrook burned down while I was at Balmoral. We all had to go on shifts to accomodate the extra students. I don't recognize those family names, but I moved there in '69.;)

Its amazing how us "Shore" people get around, I now live in AZ for about 5 1/2 months each year....guess which months? DW was a TA at Argyle in the mid to late 80's before moving over to Handsworth. We probably knew a number of your DD's teachers through the NSWC.

Wow, didn't realize that Delbrook burned down.... interesting. I know that a lot of North Shore people keep in touch. Yes, you probably do. LOL... When I moved back there in the mid 80s and found a real estate agent he was giving me different areas around Vancouver - but once I told him that I was raised in North Van... he said, "why didn't you tell me that to start with? Anyone raised in North Van ONLY wants to live back in North Van. You could have saved me time". Well, sorrrrryyyy! A great place to be raised. We live in the LA area now but hope to move at least part time back to White Rock when we retire.

Archived