2010 bookings

balf

Got a missive in the post today about advanced bookings for Summer 2010. You can book your cruise and cabin on payment of a NON REFUNDABLE £50 deposit.

When is FO going to get real. In these times of recession not many of us can look forward that long with very much confidence. The cheapo late booking offers show that cabins are nearly always available before sailing date. So the people who Fred should value most are the ones who lose out by paying top rates and also risk losing cash if they can't take up the cruise which is 18 months plus away.

David.

This is a very good system if you are going on long cruises eg around the world and you want to guarantee a specific cabin. It is especially useful if you wish to book a single cabin (there are few last minute cabins available on such cruises).

There are many people I know who have already booked for the 2010 world cruises using this system. I used it for the "Balmoral" world cruise which sails next month and found I got excellent accommodation.

The "credit crunch" may affect some people but there are others who seem to heve unlimited funds to spend on cruises. On a recent cruise on FOCL it was announced that one couple had spent over 950 nights on their ships in the last six years. They are booked on four cruises in 2009.

Makes you think!

I agree with Parsman. After 20 plus cruises on several ships I find that cabin selection is almost important as the itinerary. My longest cruise was 32 days on the Crown Odyssey and believe me I liked my suite. If I am going to spend 3 or 4 thousand dollars on a 2 week cruise I might as well spend a few hundred more and get the stateroom I want.

What itinearies were detailed on the advance planner for 2010? Particulary interested in which ship will be doing the Leith sailings.

Boudicca is! ;)

27/7/10 12 nights Baltic

8/8/10 7 nights Norway

also:

13/7/10 14 nights Spitzbergen .......daparts Greenock returns to Leith

15/8/10 4 nights Mini cruise.........departs Leith returns to Newcastle

It appears Boudicaa with be using the ports of Leith, Greenock, Liverpool and Newcastle

Black Watch is using Southampton

Both Balmoral and Braemar will be sailing from Dover.

I agree with both balf and Parsman, having got my copy this morning (I know - Norfolk is nearly a week behind everyone else:)).

If I were doing a world cruise, or a cruise that I knew would book up quickly, I would do the pre-registration booking. However, as I'm not, and can be flexible on itinerary and date, I intend to wait for better offers which worked well for us this year.

It does, indeed, seem to be a novel way of rewarding loyalty and early bookings to (probably) charge more, and snaffle a £50 non-refundable deposit.

Mary

• 1 month later...

Archived