Cayenes Del Mar Beach Club

marhun2430

While in Samana, has anyone been to the Cayenes Del Mar Beach Club? Any info would be good. Thanks!

We took the NCL sail and snorkel excursion. We had a great time. The catamaran boarded directly from the ship. Ramon, our guide, was very entertaining and the scenery from the catamaran was very beautiful. Tell Ramon you love him and he'll give you a rum and coke. The snorkeling was so-so for experienced snorklers, but that just may have been the conditions that day. If you go be sure to swim close to the caves as many fish like to hide just inside. After snorkeling or about 45 minutes we sailed to the beach club. It's not far from the tender, so I think a short cab ride would get you there. The beach was small, but clean and free of vendors other than a small table setup near one of the buildings. There was a volleyball net and a small beach bar. There also looked to be chairs for rent, but we didn't ask as we were only there about an hour before sailing back to the ship. From what we heard from others on board the ship, I'm happy we took this excursion, since we weren't interested in Cayo Levantado.

I found a independent tour guide that can take you there with a little Samana tour for the price of just the cab. He has been great in his response time + he speaks English :D.

We are going with him End of March. He also owns a restaurant in Samana.

I don't think you require a pass for the Cayenas beach club.

Here is his reply to me:

I would love to show you the beauty of Samana. When will you be coming to Samana?

Anadel beach is a great beach with a fairly commercial restaurant on site and good bathrooms. It is very cruise ship though. My past customers have loved it because it is reasonably priced and close by and they felt really safe. The route I take to the beach allows you a small city tour and view of the bay from above. Also it does give you time to do some other things as well:

The smaller waterfalls at Rio Los Cocos.

The view from the mountains of Juana Vicenta (where I live and where you would have passed by on your way to Las Terrenas), a small but neat typical Dominican dwelling with an oppurtunity to see the diversity of the fruit, nuts, and general foliage of the DR.

His contact info is:

toursamanawithterry@hotmail.com

• 2 weeks later...

No we are still going with Terry. Just realized someone else had send that picture. But it is the same beach. Cayenas del Mar is on Playa Anadel.

Sorry for any confusion. I am looking forward to my trip with Terry :-)

Looking forward to my whole cruise actually...I can't wait! Wish I could go right now! :D

• 2 weeks later...

Here is my review of the Sail, Snorkel, Beach excursion. Evidently I am in the minority because I didn't care for this excursion at all.

We decided to do the Sail, snorkel, beach excursion because so many posters recommended taking an excursion in Samana. We were very disappointed in this trip. The first part of the trip is sailing around the island on a Catamaran. We never had a safety brief. If there was an emergency we would not have known what to do or where the life jackets were. The focus of the sailing was drinking rum and listening to loud music. I would rather have had peace and quiet so we could listen to the waves. After about 45 minutes, we stopped at a cove to snorkel. There were hardly any fish and the crew did not pay attention to those swimming in the water. The crew played on the ship while everyone was snorkeling. There was no information what we might actually see in the water. We sailed a little more and then stopped at the "beach". The water was not clear and seaweed was everywhere. Not inviting at all. We headed for some beach chairs and were told they would cost $5 each for the hour we were there. (The description didn’t say that chairs were extra). At the end of the excursion the host passed around a tip jar and comment cards. He said if we wanted to tip him only and not the entire crew, to put the money into his hand. I thought this was very inappropriate. I am sure that our negative comment card conveniently got lost. We sailed by Caya Levantado and wished we took the excursion there. That beach looked wonderful, with clear water and nice sand. I have heard that it does get crowded if more than one ship is at Samana.

If you like loud music, rum drinks and a party atmosphere, then this is for you. If you are looking for a relaxing boat ride and snorkel trip that is focused on nature, then look elsewhere!

Archived