"refundable tix" Southwest

msweezie99

I have a question maybe someone can answer. I am trying to book Manchester NH or Boston to Fort Lauderdale for Feb vacation, to cruise out on Saturday Feb 19th.... The rates are very high right now. I did come across Southwest offering $200 each way, so just over $400 pp when you add taxes and stuff. But it says they are fully refundable.....Could I purchase the tix and then rebook when I see a cheaper price come out, can I get a refund through them and book with another airline, or would I have to rebook with Southwest, and cancel the original flight?

I remember paying about $150 pp round trip just three or four years ago. I am really hoping the prices will come down. Thanks for your help

Three or four years ago, $150.00 was about right. You are traveling peak season-President's week and all that. The cheap seats are probably gone.

Have you tried Jet Blue out of BOS? They are showing some $215.00 fares, but there are only 4 seats left all day the 19th. And Friday, the 18th jumps to $375.00. There are NO seats returning to BOS on the 26th, which I presume is the day your cruise ends. Would mean an overnight in Florida.

Yes, refundable means refundable. I would book something NOW. Read the first line of this quote.

Look Out For Higher Air Fares
Airplanes are packed and airport security lines are teeth-grindingly long, but at least travelers have had one comfort these past few years: Air fares on many routes are cheaper than they've ever been, held down in part by the rise of low-cost carriers such as Southwest Airlines and JetBlue Airways. But aviation industry analysts say frequent fliers should strap themselves in for a bumpy ride. Stubbornly high jet fuel prices that dramatically lift operating costs for airlines have recently prompted airlines around the world to add fuel surcharges to their ticket prices, and even penny- pinching discount carriers may have to follow suit. (Chronicle)

This was taken from Elliot's Travel Notes, a very reputable airline info web site.

[quote name='msweezie99']I have a question maybe someone can answer. I am trying to book Manchester NH or Boston to Fort Lauderdale for Feb vacation, to cruise out on Saturday Feb 19th.... The rates are very high right now. I did come across Southwest offering $200 each way, so just over $400 pp when you add taxes and stuff. But it says they are fully refundable.....Could I purchase the tix and then rebook when I see a cheaper price come out, can I get a refund through them and book with another airline, or would I have to rebook with Southwest, and cancel the original flight?

I remember paying about $150 pp round trip just three or four years ago. I am really hoping the prices will come down. Thanks for your help[/QUOTE]
When Southwest says refundable, they are just that. You can cancel and get a refund. The reason they are refundable is that they are sold out of all low fare classes of service. Since you are travelling during February school vacation, there is very little chance of you finding a lower price in the future. As seats sell, the price will only get higher.

Archived