Home from Glory

HighSeaslover

Boy oh Boy if you want a great time you should have been on this cruise. We had a WONDERFUL time. There was 8 of us and all have cruised many time before and all agreed that this cruise was in the top of our favorites.

There was some excitement. We had to stop and render aid to 9 men on a small blow-up raft. This all took place right outside our balcony. They lowered a life boat and picked them up gave the men water, fruit and sandwiches. We waited for the Coast Guard that came and picked them up.

One guest died snorkeling in Mexico, the man that told us said the man was with this group (can't remember where he was from), but they beleived he had a heart attack was in his upper 70's. I think what a way to go. Not sick, not in a hospital, but up until the time the Good Lord calls you home your having fun on vacation!!!

Another guest was taken off the ship with bags in Mexico, we where told by a crew member that she was a mother of 2 teens that went off the ship and didn't show up when it was time to go. They paged and paged them. The ship waited about an hour then told her she would have to get off and stay so she could find them. Why in the WORLD would you let your teens go off the ship without you. I have no idea.

There were some dissappointments but nothing big. You can tell that

Carnival is streching their dollar (as is everyone now days). Staff was working very hard, but I think there isn't as many staff. Tables not getting cleaned as quickly, our room not getting made up as quickly as before. Most days we would leave our cabin by 7:30am and many times we would come back at 11 or 11:30 to take a nap and the room still hadn't been made up. Our steward was excellent but had too many rooms. No problem, not like I have never laid in an unmade bed before for a nap. It was ALWAYS, made up twice a day, but as I said somedays, we where just earlier than others.

Dinner was great eat in the dinning room everynight but one. Food good, but they have taken out some of our favorites, like beef wellington..... Buffet was just ok. not a large selection like before only 3 meat dishes, sometime unless you eat a salad there was no vegtables. Again not a deal breaker and there is not way you couldn't find something. The fish and chips was wonderful!!! Had that several times. Love it!

If I think of anything else I write later. If you have any questions, let me know..

So glad you had a great cruise - the Glory is a great ship! :DWe were on her on 1/3 and had a great time as well. Your observations about the crew being stretched thin and the the food match mine almost exactly - sadly we ran into the same thing on the Liberty last summer. Maybe Carnival will wake up and realize before they cut too much. :(

WOW! You did have lots of excitement. Glad to hear that you still had a great time. The general consensus seems to be going in the direction of cutbacks of staff. On a cruise, that and the food are the last places that customers will want to see the change.

I am leaving on the Glory in less then a week, for a back to back, one question did they have an adult only pool, or were they all loaded with kids. What was the weather also, and what did you do in the ports, I want ot hear it all, can you tell I am excited. The next time the Glory goes to Port Canavral it is to get me. lol...

I am leaving on the Glory in less then a week, for a back to back, one question did they have an adult only pool, or were they all loaded with kids. What was the weather also, and what did you do in the ports, I want ot hear it all, can you tell I am excited. The next time the Glory goes to Port Canavral it is to get me. lol...

No adults only pool - the aft hot tubs are adult only but the pool next to it allows kids. Our sailing was the first week of January and there were more kids than we thought but not too many. Actually a fair number of teenage and college age on our sailing with parents. Saw of few who had obviously had a few too many drinks but they weren't really causing problems.

We did the eastern itin. Nassau was a big waste to us and at the bottom of our list of ports. We walked around a little but all the stores were closed on Sunday. We started to walk up to the fort but the streets were deserted and we didn't feel comfortable so we went back to the ship. Next time we'll either stay onboard or maybe take a party cruise (and we aren't partiers so that's saying a lot!)

St. Thomas we took the Champagne St. John Catamarn through Carnival - our second time on this excursion and highly recommend it! Top notch crew, beautiful sailboat ride across the sound, snorkeling at St. John, and yummy painkiller drinks on the way back! :eek:

St. Martin we toured with Bernard's tours - we had never been there before so it gave us a good overview of the island. Bernard loves his home and gave us lots of island history and culture. We had several photo stops, about 2 hours at Orient Beach, a short stop in the French capital of Marigot at the open market, and then Maho Beach to see the planes land over our heads! We opted out of the shopping at the end but he gives you the choice. I would definitely use Bernard again and probably customize a private tour with him next time since we now know what we'd like to see more of.

Have a great time! There were lots of sea day activities going on as well. I'm not a sun worshipper but the decks were packed on sea days when we walked through - not a chair to be had anywhere including up top or away from the main pool area. Our weather was great, low 80s during the day and low 70s at night. It was great to wear shorts in January!

For either Highseaslover or Vacruiser - Do you know whether Glory still has hot tubs in the gym area? They've been taking them out of the other Conquest-class ships, but I thought Glory might still have them since she hasn't gone to drydock yet.

For either Highseaslover or Vacruiser - Do you know whether Glory still has hot tubs in the gym area? They've been taking them out of the other Conquest-class ships, but I thought Glory might still have them since she hasn't gone to drydock yet.

I actually didn't go up there on this cruise but think I heard someone mention them. My guess is that they'll come out when she goes to drydock like they did with the others.

Boy oh Boy if you want a great time you should have been on this cruise. We had a WONDERFUL time. There was 8 of us and all have cruised many time before and all agreed that this cruise was in the top of our favorites.

There was some excitement. We had to stop and render aid to 9 men on a small blow-up raft. This all took place right outside our balcony. They lowered a life boat and picked them up gave the men water, fruit and sandwiches. We waited for the Coast Guard that came and picked them up.

One guest died snorkeling in Mexico, the man that told us said the man was with this group (can't remember where he was from), but they beleived he had a heart attack was in his upper 70's. I think what a way to go. Not sick, not in a hospital, but up until the time the Good Lord calls you home your having fun on vacation!!!

Another guest was taken off the ship with bags in Mexico, we where told by a crew member that she was a mother of 2 teens that went off the ship and didn't show up when it was time to go. They paged and paged them. The ship waited about an hour then told her she would have to get off and stay so she could find them. Why in the WORLD would you let your teens go off the ship without you. I have no idea.

There were some dissappointments but nothing big. You can tell that

Carnival is streching their dollar (as is everyone now days). Staff was working very hard, but I think there isn't as many staff. Tables not getting cleaned as quickly, our room not getting made up as quickly as before. Most days we would leave our cabin by 7:30am and many times we would come back at 11 or 11:30 to take a nap and the room still hadn't been made up. Our steward was excellent but had too many rooms. No problem, not like I have never laid in an unmade bed before for a nap. It was ALWAYS, made up twice a day, but as I said somedays, we where just earlier than others.

Dinner was great eat in the dinning room everynight but one. Food good, but they have taken out some of our favorites, like beef wellington..... Buffet was just ok. not a large selection like before only 3 meat dishes, sometime unless you eat a salad there was no vegtables. Again not a deal breaker and there is not way you couldn't find something. The fish and chips was wonderful!!! Had that several times. Love it!

If I think of anything else I write later. If you have any questions, let me know..

Was it Cuban's in the boat that you had to stop for?, this happened to us on the Valor back in Sept 07

I was on this cruise too! Yes, lots of excitement. The men on the raft were from Cuba and had been at sea for 10 days I believe.

Also, the 2 teens were arrested and were actually at a Mexican jail, from what I heard. Suspect drugs? Not sure though. I heard the mom offered the ship lots of money to stay while she went to go bail them out.

Great cruise, lots of fun. I will be doing a full review soon.

Very sad to come home to snow and chores -- I want to go back!

No adult only pool but adult only hot-tubs. There were very few kids on our cruise, I bet I didn't see more than a dozen, there were no problems with kids like I have seen in the past. I never made it to the spa to see if it had a hot-tub.

As for the Ports we only booked an excursion in Belize Horse back riding. The riding was great but they held us at this park afterward that had NOTHING and I didn't like that at all. I didn't get time to go into town and shop and have a local beer, which we enjoy alot. I wished they would have taken us to the horse back ride and then load the bus to go back to the ship so we would have had time to do something. They did feed us lunch at the park, but it made all 6 of us sick!! YUK! When we book this excursion there was suppose to be 2 so we booked the earlier one so we would have time to come back and do something, they didn't inform us until we were there that they didn't have enough for two so they extended ours so as to only have one bus back..... Wasn't very happy but oh well....

We LOVED Costa Maya the best. We took a bus ($3 pp) down town. There we could walk along the beach, drink beer, all the shops right there, and rent a jet ski and parasail all in one nice location. Love it. When we travel with 8 there is always someone that wants to do something else, this way we all did it together cause it was all there.

Nassaw (sp?) We went to the straw market and just walked around, which was fine for us. We like that. We always go back to the ship early as we think that is the vacation.

Hi vacruizer,

DH and I are going on the Eastern Caribbean cruise with our friends (40 days to go!!!!) and I've heard so folks talk about taking Bernard's Tour....was wondering the cost of this excursion?

Thanks!

He charged us $35 per person and we were in a van with about 10 total people. He also does private tours but I didn't price those. If you google Bernard's tours St. Martin his website will come up. The price included sodas, water, beer & rum punch that was in the van.

Rum Punch??? I'm there!!!! :p

Thanks for the info... :)

He charged us $35 per person and we were in a van with about 10 total people. He also does private tours but I didn't price those. If you google Bernard's tours St. Martin his website will come up. The price included sodas, water, beer & rum punch that was in the van.

Archived