Carnival Bacon

I was reminded of this at breakfast this morning. What's the deal with the Carnival Bacon? It's limp and semi brown. I know it's cooked and it doesn't bother me but every day at a Carnival breakfast, I hear people asking for "crisp, cooked bacon". My husband wouldn't eat it because he said it was inedible. So, I'm wondering, how do they cook it? And, why don't they cook it longer? Surely, even if you're using a mass cooking method, you can crisp it up a bit?

I was reminded of this at breakfast this morning. What's the deal with the Carnival Bacon? It's limp and semi brown. I know it's cooked and it doesn't bother me but every day at a Carnival breakfast, I hear people asking for "crisp, cooked bacon". My husband wouldn't eat it because he said it was inedible. So, I'm wondering, how do they cook it? And, why don't they cook it longer? Surely, even if you're using a mass cooking method, you can crisp it up a bit?

I thought the same thing!!!:p It is almost like they boil it then bake it to brown it up!!!:eek:

My guess would be most of the bacon is consumed in the buffet. If they cooked it till it was crispy it would dry out and be nasty pretty quick sitting under those heat lamps.

Now in the dining room I'm guessing they don't cook bacon special for the folks in the dining room so you get the same bacon.

I'll take a guess and say they cook large amounts on sheet trays and the hold it in a different pan covered and then placed in a holding oven.Being covered the bacon releases moisture making it soft after being cooked crisp in the oven...............P.S. I love the bacon also.

It was crispy & very good on Inspiration buffet last week.

I did see something I have never seen on any other ship. Last sea day, they had a guy behind the buffet counter serving the bacon. :confused: Everything else on the line was self serve. Not sure if they were running low on bacon or just another cost cutting measure. The server was very generous for us but maybe not for some.

More than likely, they bake then broil the bacon, absorbing the excess grease w/layers of paper toweling immediately when coming from the oven...as we did in the restaurants where I worked as chef.

This method results in crispy, browned bacon. Problem arises when it's put in a steam pan on the buffet.

If my bacon (in the dining room) isn't right, I ask for crisper cooked, and have had no problem getting it. The dining room is not nearly as busy as the buffet, so they have no trouble 'redoing' it for those passengers.:)

Dining room food is always fresher from the kitchen than sitting in steamer pans.

While the bacon is not as crisp as I would cook it I am always able to find enough crisp bacon to satisfy me. And the flavor is very good!

Everyone seems to like their bacon different. My uncle likes it barely warm.

I've never had a problems asking for - and receiving - crisp bacon onboard.

I did see something I have never seen on any other ship. Last sea day, they had a guy behind the buffet counter serving the bacon. :confused: Everything else on the line was self serve. Not sure if they were running low on bacon or just another cost cutting measure. The server was very generous for us but maybe not for some.

We saw this too on the Paradise but it was every AM. and not sure why. The bacon was very, very crisp and thin. Reminded me of that precooked microwave bacon. My DH just kept his plate in the air until he got the amount he wanted.

We noticed this on Inspiration too. The lady who was serving the bacon always looked like she was mad at the world and not very friendly at all. We called her the "B----- Bacon Broad"! LOL

We never had a problem with the quantity we were given. I think they do this because people tend to grab way too much and not eat it. It's easy to grab up more pieces than you intend to.

It usually turns out like that when they deep fry it! Quickest way to cook it in the masses!

That is funny....because me and my niece kept saying every morning "This is the best bacon! Usually it is too crispy and brown!"

I said the same thing, as I don't really care for crispy bacon. The rest of my family wanted the crispy stuff though!

We got off Ecstasy last Thursday. I was wondering why they now hand you the bacon instead of letting you pick it out of the pan in the buffet. Were folks taking too many pieces?? If you wanted 3 pieces instead of just 2 you had to ask for more. The guy with tongs picks out what he wanted you to have.

More than likely, they bake then broil the bacon, absorbing the excess grease w/layers of paper toweling immediately when coming from the oven...as we did in the restaurants where I worked as chef.

This method results in crispy, browned bacon. Problem arises when it's put in a steam pan on the buffet.

...Cotton has the PERFECT answer! This is why there are SOOO many different opinions regarding those wonderful meat strips! If you are one of the lucky ones that get to the bacon BEFORE it sits too long over the steam, then you have crispy bacon. However, if the bacon has been sitting over the steam, even for a short period of time, it gets limp! Sooo, if there is just a little bit of bacon left in the steam pan, ask for some new crispy bacon! ...Hope this helps...

Yea, they had the "Bacon Server" on the Fascination in December (but not on the Valor last October). He never looked too happy either. He would give me a small amount and then kind of look at me as if he was daring me to ask for more. I just kept my plate held up to him until I was satisfied.

Archived