safest area of Vancouver to stay

If you want a Best Western stay at the Best Western Downtown - it's a couple blocks further away from the downtown Entertainment zone which is the biggest knock against that establishment.

Vancouver and it's main downtown core is a safe city - we have our share of pan handlers but they are more of a nuisance than any threat - also the Granville street corridor is a busy one both during the day and night - the BW Downtown has a free shuttle to the port and a White Spot restaurant - the hop on hop off buses and Airporter buses all stop within a block.

As I frequent that restaurant at least once a week - I live only two block from the hotel - I see a fair share of older and female customers staying at the hotel.

If you don't want to stay along the Granville entertainment corridor you might consider the Blue Horizon on Robson - Robson is our answer to Rodeo Drive.

PD and some of the others will likely offer there thoughts as well.

I see that you are from Louisiana - I am leaving early tomorrow morning for a cruise out of NOLA.

Cheers

Dennis

...you might consider the Blue Horizon on Robson - Robson is our answer to Rodeo Drive.

Ooo, the Blue Horizon is fantabulous!! We stayed there once on a weekend getaway, in our own city. :D It doesn't look like much from the small lobby, but it's centrally located and you can walk in all directions from there. If you stay there, ask for (and pay for - it's worth it!) a room as high up as possible. The views are absolutely spectacular!!!!!

Most of the areas in Vancouver are safe however I would not recommmend the Best Western on Granville to 3 ladies. The hotel has a reputation and the area can get pretty roudy at night particularly when the bars close in the wee hours of the morning. The hotels recommended by the other posters would be good choices but anything out of the Granville Entertainment District will work. Some others to consider would be the Hampton Inn on Robson, the Hyatt Regency or the Sandman Inn on W. Georgia.

Ooo, the Blue Horizon is fantabulous!! We stayed there once on a weekend getaway, in our own city. :D It doesn't look like much from the small lobby, but it's centrally located and you can walk in all directions from there. If you stay there, ask for (and pay for - it's worth it!) a room as high up as possible. The views are absolutely spectacular!!!!!

DH and I had our first date at the "Top of the Blue." The hotel itself was a bit of a dive in those days, but that was 30 years ago. My sister stays there on business and loves it.

Viv

If you want a Best Western stay at the Best Western Downtown - it's a couple blocks further away from the downtown Entertainment zone which is the biggest knock against that establishment.

Vancouver and it's main downtown core is a safe city - we have our share of pan handlers but they are more of a nuisance than any threat - also the Granville street corridor is a busy one both during the day and night - the BW Downtown has a free shuttle to the port and a White Spot restaurant - the hop on hop off buses and Airporter buses all stop within a block.

As I frequent that restaurant at least once a week - I live only two block from the hotel - I see a fair share of older and female customers staying at the hotel.

If you don't want to stay along the Granville entertainment corridor you might consider the Blue Horizon on Robson - Robson is our answer to Rodeo Drive.

PD and some of the others will likely offer there thoughts as well.

I see that you are from Louisiana - I am leaving early tomorrow morning for a cruise out of NOLA.

Cheers

Dennis

Enjoy your stay in the Big Easy. If you go to Bourbon Street be sure to check out Pat O'Briens and The Cat's Meow, and of Bourbon is Cafe Du Monde's. Three of my favorite places to visit while there. Thanks for the advice. That's exactly what we wanted to hear. We planned on doing the hop on/off tours and wanted to be sure we were close to pick up points.

Do you have any idea how close the hop on/off tour buses stop in relation the Blue Horizon?

Anywhere is good, except the east end. (Been to vancouver lots and one major rule is stay away from the east end thats where all the problems can be had) Granville is still fine, a tad lively but still ok.

I am sure that you do not mean the east end ....there is no such thing as an east end in Vancouver. Now if you are referring to the Downtown-Eastside then you have a point, it is the poorest postal code in Canada. As for the Granville Enterainment District, I worked at Georgia and Granville for the last 25 years of my career and had an interest in a Granville St. hotel....sorry bud, but I would not care to have my wife walking in that neighbourhood after dark.

Archived