What are parents thinking?

stbmom

Since my post was about my thinking about the welfare of children over my concerns about bratty kids, I didn't expect my response to this thread would result in comments about the children taken out of school bit. But that's okay, because I think it is also a good thread.

To quote nosnobunny, you have the right to do what ever you want with your kids. And I also have the right to question a parent's pulling a child out of school to go on a cruise. My parents never pulled one of their four children out of school for any other reason than sickness. And we were also good students. Now if you take your children out for a trip to a foriegn country on an educational trip and school them on the way, then I think that is positive. I"m not sure I would consider a Caribbean vacation in that category.

I hope those of you responding aren't going to expect for RCCL to babysit your kids. At least not on my sailing. And before you shout "Not MY kids!", then tell me you will supervise them most of the day.

I have to ask, do you have any kids? My guess is no, or that they are either very young, or out of school. Sometimes its easier to assume things you wouldn't do when you don't have them. I think that by saying you would only pull your kids out for a foreign trip, or one you consider educational, that is sort of a slap in the face--or implies that perhaps those of us who have done it, aren't doing it for the right reasons. And I really don't think you have a right to question any of the people who have said on this thread that they have taken their kids out for a few days, just because your parents never have. I really don't know if my parents took us out a day or two early for vacations, but that was then and this is now. My parents also slapped us, and I remember Dad taking his belt off---but it doesn't mean that just because he did doesn't mean it was right.

As I stated, I have pulled my kids out over Thanksgiving. My kids have always done their homework before we leave, or at least what they are given ahead of time. My kids are teens and one in college, so I don't think you will have to worry about babysitting mine.

Also, the only "Holiday" that my 3 kids share is over Christmas. My college age daughter has spring break at a different time than my middle school kids do. It is much easier to talk to my kids teachers to see if missing a couple days would be a problem and to find out if they would possibly be missing important tests, ect than it is with the one in college.

So you see, everyones situation is different, and while one kid may be able to miss a day or two with no problem, I am sure there are others who will struggle. As a parent, I know what is best for my child, and as a responsible adult, I can make that decision on my own, and do what I feel best for my family.

First, I'm the mother of two grown daughters. They rarely missed school except for illness or to attend a swimming competition out of town. Even then it was likely only one day and the DD involved had excellent grades. She got her degree in elementary education. Our big vacations came in the summer when it was convenient for ALL of us.

I too have often wondered about children I see out and about when school is in session. The thing is, it isn't my place to decide what is best for someone else's children. I may not always agree with their reasons, but again, they aren't my kids and it isn't my decision.

I knew I shouldn't read this thread, it took me almost an hour to get through all of this!:p This reminds me of one reason why DW and I have 2 Welsh Terriers and a stray tabby cat! :D However, raising a child welsh terrier, requires alcohol, too.

Could someone pour me a nice Cab Sav?:eek:

jc

There is plenty to see do and talk about in the Carribbean which is educational. Simply passing so close to Montserrat and discussing volcanoes and tragedy that results. Haiti and politcal unrest in a beautiful setting. Cozumel for the history and the reefs. Much more than a shallow excuse for a vacation to any place in the Carribbean which is rich in so much education IMHO. ;)

When my son was in the second grade we took him out of school to go to New Orleans. During our week there he had to keep a journal and when we returned he had to present a photo essay to the class. It worked for us!

The only reason I would not take him out now is that, frankly, his grades are not that good and trying to play "catch up" isn't worth the aggravation we'd all have to go through.

Jillybean, I agree completely with your post. I wish that we still had grandparents and great aunts & uncles around for my son to meet and spend time with. It would be worth everything, even playing "catch up" with school work. I hope you and yours have a wonderful Thanksgiving.

LoriLinay, as usual you are the voice of reason, but none of that matters to me because also as usual you have left with all the snacks (and apparently with all the booze).

Liz, may I please get a class of white, as long as you're pouring?

Laurie

Baseballl..thanks again for the compliment. I had to run up to the store for liquor and potato chips. LOL!!! (have you given any more thought to the 10/16 Mariner cruise????)

I was going to be really naughty and say the only reason I pull my kids out of school for an 11 day cruise is so that I can stay in bed while they go down to the pool and lay towels down on 8 chairs....

I was going to be really naughty and say the only reason I pull my kids out of school for an 11 day cruise is so that I can stay in bed while they go down to the pool and lay towels down on 8 chairs....

HAHAHAHAHA Perfect!

Yes, I'm still thinking about Mariner -- it would be a blast. I wouldn't take the boy for the reasons noted above, so I'm trying to convince a friend to go with me!

Laurie

I think I have been slacking in the bartending department, so I'd be happy to get any of you whatever you would like. Crappy, rainy day here, so maybe a good Merlot would be nice..........makes me feel good all over. :D Just cracked open a can of cashews---and I share......

I don't know about the rest of you but my wife and I both have jobs that we must leave to take a vacation, when we return there is usually a stack of work that we knew would need to be done when we got back. To me, it's the same for our children. In order to take a break they have to put things on hold and know that they will be waiting for them when they return (homework, assignments, lessons, etc). I see it as a practical reality of life - another lesson learned. I hope they will keep up while we are gone but to be honest, I don't take work on vacation with me.

Couldn't agree more Cary T. I'm one of those bad parents who take their kids out of school. We live in SC so we drive down to the FL ports. On the drive down, they work on any advance homework/makeup work the teachers have given them. On the way home, they work on anything they didn't finish on the way there. I would never expect them to take their homework on the cruise. Kids need a break, too. Sure we go over educational factors of the places we visit while we are there but only as conversation and information not requirement.

That being said I would never flame anyone who opposes taking kids out of school. You don't tell me how to raise my kids and I won't tell you how to raise yours. As long as your kids aren't being unruly and ruining my vacation, it's none of my business how you raise them.

We've taken our daughter (now 9 and in third grade) out of school for a variety of trips. We generally do try to match it up with at least some school vacation days. Her teacher and the principal are very supportive of family vacations. They do expect the student to make up their homework and keep a journal. When the student gets home, they are required to do a trip related item for that week's show-and-tell. There are times (on the plane, while waiting for parents to get dressed, etc.) to fit in some homework. It is a good lesson in planning and responsibility.

You also need to know your child. Can he/she afford to take some time away from the classroom. If the student is struggling, it may not be a good idea. I

I am fortunate that we don't need to "lie" to the teacher and/or do a "wink, wink, nudge, nudge" that she will be "sick" next week. What does THAT teach the child - it's ok to lie?

Similar to other posts, I have work at work that will not get done when I'm on vacation. I work extra hours before and after vacations to catch up. I've been known to make a few business related calls on vacation (very few!) and or bring some of my own "homework" to work on during travel time or at other lulls.

Archived