RCI Adventure Ocean questions.

earn

We are sailing on Mariner in April. I have two boys aged 10 and 8. Will the 8 yr old be able to joing the older one's group. Having an older brother he thinks he is actually 10! Also can anyone tell me if the clubs run at night on shore days? the info on the web mentions opening times but implies that there is no club at night on shore days. We want to book Chops, but need the kids to be looked after while we are there.

We are sailing on Mariner in April. I have two boys aged 10 and 8. Will the 8 yr old be able to joing the older one's group. Having an older brother he thinks he is actually 10! Also can anyone tell me if the clubs run at night on shore days? the info on the web mentions opening times but implies that there is no club at night on shore days. We want to book Chops, but need the kids to be looked after while we are there.

Actually it depends........

My daughter is almost 9 and on our last cruise (Independence of the Seas) they allowed her to be in the 9-11 year old group. However, I had an in depth talk with the Supervisor of the kid's program and we went though a series of questions prior to allowing her join.

Also, there were not many 7 or 8 year olds in the 6-8 program, I think that was the deciding factor. So, if they allow you to do this, 1)ask really nice, do not demand (I've seen that happen on another cruise) 2)It's going to depend on the maturity of your son and 3)(most important) if the mix of kids in the 6-8 year old program is lacking and the 9-11 group is small enough, they *may* allow the change.

You are sailing in April so it may be Easter/Sping break on the week you sail?? (Easter/Spring break for my DS is April 4 and for my DD it's April 11th!)

Adventure Ocean is open during port days. You have to sign up the day prior if you'd like to leave your kids with them during the day. They will take them to Windjammer for lunch. However, they close at 5pm on port days. There are certain evenings they have a kid dinner at Johnny Rockets where you could enjoy Chops. On Independence, they offered Johnny Rockets EVERY day for kid's dinner however, that was a 4 day cruise.

Rebecca-you just returned from Independence, did you notice if they offered kid's dinners every evening, even on port days???

I was on an eight night and I only recall the Johnny Rockets dinner offered three nights out of the eight. I could be wrong. My son signed up for the first two night but he didn't do the third and then I didn't see it posted on the daily "Explorers" activitiy sheet. So it wasn't offered every nite but it really isn't an issue. The youth program reopens at 7PM each night- so people can reserve the specialty restaurants for after 7PM, which is when most people like to eat anyway.

I was on an eight night and I only recall the Johnny Rockets dinner offered three nights out of the eight. I could be wrong. My son signed up for the first two night but he didn't do the third and then I didn't see it posted on the daily "Explorers" activitiy sheet. So it wasn't offered every nite but it really isn't an issue. The youth program reopens at 7PM each night- so people can reserve the specialty restaurants for after 7PM, which is when most people like to eat anyway.
That sounds right! I remember the longer sailings 6-8 days, they only offered Johnny Rockets (kid's dinner) on the formal evenings and one other evening! Thank you;)

Thanks for tyhe advice, but I am still a little confused. Will the kids club be open in the evening of port days?

Sorry for being a bit dim, but just want to check so that we pick the correct night.

Yes, they are open until 5pm. If they offer the kid's dinner at Johnny Rockets on port days that usually happens at 5:45pm. If they do not offer the kid's dinner at Johnny Rockets they will open at 7pm!

I think it is safe to arrange dinner at Chops at 7pm (or after) so you'd be safe knowing that the kid's program is a definite!!

Sorry for the confusion!;)

Thank you so much for posting the day schedule. We have only booked one trip and hope the kids want to come ashore with us for the other days, but who knows! Thanks for the advice re Chops. we wil book after 7pm and rest easy.

• 2 weeks later...

Just got off EOS 12 nite southern caribbean with DS who is 8 and twin DD's who are 5. Sadly Johnny Rockets was only offered on the 3 formal nites which was a shame as the kids love dressing up for dinner so missed out on all 3 chances to go for supper with their friends.

There were only 55 kids on board so the Explorers (6-8 yrs) and the group above were put together.

On port days the programme ran from 7.45 am to 5.15 pm and then re-opened in the evening for a theme night from 7pm - 10 pm. On sea days the sessions ran from 9-12 noon and then from 2-5pm and then 7-10pm in the evening.

Our 3 kids had an amazing time - didn't want to come home!

If we visit Adventure Ocean on the first day will we be able to book the kids for JR? Is this available for 6-8 and 9-11 age groups.

thanks again for all your help.

It used to be that you could book it the night before the meal, this time they told us to book it the day of by noon. So no you can't sign up for it the "first day". Or at least, they wouldn't let us on Indy.

It is available for the 6-8. I *think* it is also available for the 9-11. If not, then they would have their own kid dinner in Windjammer (like the teens do)

Archived