Teen hangout on Disney-Aloft?

bnsilly

Hi...

I have 2 girls, ages 12 and 15....

My question is if there is a Disney staff member present in the teen hangout? I want to make sure they are somewhere safe...Thanks for any info..

Also...if you have any info on activities provided for their ages...(Don't want stuff like dancing/club, etc...Looking for stuff like craft activities, games, etc)

The two girls will not be in the same place. They are real good about keeping the kids in the age appropriate areas. The 12 year old will be in the pre-teen area with 10 to 12 year old kids. This area has more crafts, games and computers. The 15 year old will be in the Teen area that is more teenager appropriate. The teen area will not have crafts because I have not seen a teenager on a cruise that would set still for that. They will have more of computers, big screen TV, dance floor (but the kids do not dance much) and just hanging out. None of the area are unmanned. There will always be staff with them. The 12 year old will need your permission to come and go as they want. Other wise you will need to sign them in and out. The Teen are will be able to come and go as they please (unless they have changed). The 15 year old is the one that you have to set your limits and let then know. I just got back from a NCL cruise with my 15 (almost 16) year old girl. I had to set meeting times and I went out of my way to meet her new friends the first couple of days to make sure what company she was with. She would spend about 1/2 of the time in the teen area and the other with new friends around the ship. What I would recommend with the two girls is set limits for them and let them have fun:D...and meet new friends.:cool:

Just to add a quick note . If your girls really likes crafts there is a family craft event almost everyday and she or they can go to that, even if your not with them. They are easy, fun projects to do.

They also have things like Oragami too. So be sure and look under family events in your Navigator paper. The girls are not limited to the clubs activities. They can do the family events too.

I have seen kids without adults many times at these events.

They also have board games set out now and then for anyone to play, so the kids may like to bring some new friends and play those too. Usually these are in The Promenade lounge or Diversions which are used for family events during the day. They are adult only at night.

Our 4 girls, ages 8 to 18 do nothang out at all, and we all prefer it that way. However, they have never been bored on a cruise and DCL especially has plenty of family activities throughout the day.

We just stick together as a family, enjoy the ship, the restaurants, deck parties, shows etc etc. and usually bed down by midnight or earlier.

BTW, since you do have some issues you should be aware that only the Goofy pool will be available for your girls to use and it will be tight andthe younger kids will be in it. The slide is for under 10yo as well.

Hi, Bnsilly -

I had to answer your post since you sound fairly protective of your children, as I am of mine.

When we went on our first Disney cruise two years ago, the kids were 12 and 14, girl/boy. My 12 yo daughter was peeved that she couldn't go into the 'real' teen hangout area. I was a bit annoyed, too, since she's a level-headed kid, and she could have been with her brother.

Well, as it turns out, it was much better that she went to the younger kids' group (I forget what it's called) because the teen group has (gasp!!) 17 yo boys-almost-men in it....dohhh!! Still, there are chaperones and counselors there at all times.

I used to drop in at times, not making eye contact with my son, of course, just to see what was going on. Within a few seconds of walking into the area, a Disney rep would be politely inquiring if he could help me with something?? Because they don't want grownups there -- security issues and all.

I am really picky about where my kids hang their hats, and Disney got two big thumbs up from me.

HTH, and YMMV!!

Archived