Daylight savings time & Cozumel

T&Dcruisers

This is my first cruise, so please be gentle, I'm just very confused. I know that Florida observes DST which will put them ahead an hour on March 8th. Cozumel also has DST, but not until April. So, when booking excursions (particularly independent ones), does that mean if I book something for 11 AM, I'm really booking it as 1 PM ship time? Our ship is in Cozumel from 10-6 Eastern time, which would be 8-4 Cozumel time in March? I just want to make sure we plan everything accordingly. Thank you!

This is my first cruise, so please be gentle, I'm just very confused. I know that Florida observes DST which will put them ahead an hour on March 8th. Cozumel also has DST, but not until April. So, when booking excursions (particularly independent ones), does that mean if I book something for 11 AM, I'm really booking it as 1 PM ship time? Our ship is in Cozumel from 10-6 Eastern time, which would be 8-4 Cozumel time in March? I just want to make sure we plan everything accordingly. Thank you!

I'm not sure about Cozumel, but on other cruises, if I remember correctly. You are on island time....so if the schedule says you will dock 8-4, then it is 8-4 island time.....(the 10-6 time frame will not exsist.) So if you set a tour for 11:00, it will be on the island time. So don't forget to adjust your watches!! The ship's crew usually reminds you of the time difference so you are not late for the sailing off. Hope this helps, and did not confuse you any more.

• 2 weeks later...

Could somebody confirm what elsplace2 posted regarding ship time and local time? I thought it was the opposite: that ship time stayed the same and was NOT adjusted for each port (meaning that in certain ports local time will be an hour or two ahead or behind ship time). I am planning our shore excursions so it's important to know what's up. We're on the Pride leaving Miami on April 18 2009, and hitting Ocho Rios, Grand Cayman, and Cozumel.

Could somebody confirm what elsplace2 posted regarding ship time and local time? I thought it was the opposite: that ship time stayed the same and was NOT adjusted for each port (meaning that in certain ports local time will be an hour or two ahead or behind ship time). I am planning our shore excursions so it's important to know what's up. We're on the Pride leaving Miami on April 18 2009, and hitting Ocho Rios, Grand Cayman, and Cozumel.

Our experience on Carnival and Royal Caribbean out of Florida is that the time on the ship is the same all cruise long. It is as it was at the port of departure. Never had to reset clocks/watches the whole week.

Cozumel starts daylight savings time on April 5.

There is no consistency as to whether a ship adjusts to local time or maintains a difference between "ship time" and "local time" at Cozumel, or other ports. Different lines do it different ways and the same line does it differently on different ships and/or different itineraries. The only way to tell is once you are on the ship. You can also get pretty good information by asking others who have been on the same ship/itinerary this season through cruise critic postings.

We are going the same week as you and I am trying to find out the same thing, our ship docks at 7-4 and that would make the time 5 a.m. - 2 p.m which seems a little early to be going out to see Cozumel. Am trying to cook a dolphin swim at 11 a.m and want to make sure I have time to make it back to the ship.

We are going the same week as you and I am trying to find out the same thing, our ship docks at 7-4 and that would make the time 5 a.m. - 2 p.m which seems a little early to be going out to see Cozumel. Am trying to cook a dolphin swim at 11 a.m and want to make sure I have time to make it back to the ship.

I would bet that your ship will be in cozumel from 7-4 island time. Either way the 11 am excursion would be safe.

Archived