shore snorkel foot protection

karen327

I understand that the rocks can be sharp where we plan to shore snorkel at cozumel (Chankanabb Park). Is it better to wear water shoes, or just pack some flip flop type beach shoes to protect the feet, which will take up less luggage space. Do the fins protect your feet while walking to water deep enough to swim in? This will be our first time and we don't want cut up feet. Also, we bought our own snorkel, mask and fins. Is it pretty easy to rent a snorkel life jacket, as that may take up a lot of luggage room.

I understand that the rocks can be sharp where we plan to shore snorkel at cozumel (Chankanabb Park). Is it better to wear water shoes, or just pack some flip flop type beach shoes to protect the feet, which will take up less luggage space. Do the fins protect your feet while walking to water deep enough to swim in? This will be our first time and we don't want cut up feet. Also, we bought our own snorkel, mask and fins. Is it pretty easy to rent a snorkel life jacket, as that may take up a lot of luggage room.

If you hadn't already bought stuff, I'd say to get some actual open heel scuba fins and boots. Actually, I'm going to say it anyway...get some real fins and boots. With that setup, you always have foot protection. As far as a vest, they fold up to the size of a pair of socks. They are also generally worthless if you have decent swimming skills.

Hi,

I use 2mm low-top neoprene socks. You put them on, near the water, walk into the ocean about hip-high and slip on your fins over them. They're available on-line. And look similar to:

XS-Scuba-2mm-Low-Top-Titanium-Socks.jpg

Randall

Archived