Bad reviews.......

bnsilly

Reading through these threads, Disney sounds awesome...

but I read through the reviews today, and both ships had many bad reviews...I was really surprised...I was set on Disney, but now I just don't know..Thinking about taking a land based vacation somewhere tropical instead...

Me also.

With a few notable exceptions, I have not heard too much negative about Disney. There is bound to be a problem or 2 pop up here and there, but Disney works hard to correct those issues as soon as they pop up.

BnSilly, I just looked at the post you have been putting out and it looks like you are terrified to go on this cruise. You are worried about nudity on the islands, the teen areas not to be unmanned, your girls dancing and now bad reviews. Disney is the place to be a kid. If you go into any cruse looking for the bad you will find it. Do your kids a favor before they grow up and leave the nest... go on the cruse and forget you are an adult. Be a kid and dream. Let your kids be kids and have fun. Disney is designed to let people be kids no matter what age they are. When I go on a Disney Cruise or to one of the parks I let myself become a kid and DREAM. Life is to short...live it:rolleyes:

Reading through these threads, Disney sounds awesome...

but I read through the reviews today, and both ships had many bad reviews...I was really surprised...I was set on Disney, but now I just don't know..Thinking about taking a land based vacation somewhere tropical instead...

You might want to check the reviews of land resorts also. They get bad reviews also. It looks as though nobody can please everybody.

Oh, I can't let you go without recommending our sister board independenttraveler.com and our mother board (???) tripadvisor.com for lots of information on land-based trips.

BnSilly, I just looked at the post you have been putting out and it looks like you are terrified to go on this cruise. You are worried about nudity on the islands, the teen areas not to be unmanned, your girls dancing and now bad reviews. Disney is the place to be a kid. If you go into any cruse looking for the bad you will find it. Do your kids a favor before they grow up and leave the nest... go on the cruse and forget you are an adult. Be a kid and dream. Let your kids be kids and have fun. Disney is designed to let people be kids no matter what age they are. When I go on a Disney Cruise or to one of the parks I let myself become a kid and DREAM. Life is to short...live it:rolleyes:

I will ignore what feels like an attack...and just say that

No, I am not terrified...I have taken several cruises and landbased trips. I am just trying to look at everything with open eyes to make a decision that is best for our family. You have just taken it wrong.

I think you can find a bad report about any vacation, land or sea.

Unfortuately we all have a vacation that didnt go right at least once if you've done much at all.

Things can go wrong anywhere. But that doesnt mean it wasnt a good vacation.

We had a horrible experience on Carnival and i did post about it, although I did add, this type of cruise was great for many others. We all look for something different in our vacations. The trick is to find what you like and go for it!!

Anybody who reads these boards knows I recommend Disney all the time. In my opinion they are the best for what we love about cruising.

But even I have a few things I dont like that they have changed and yes I do add the FEW negative things in my reports too.

Even with those I still believe Disney, especially for family is the BEST cruise line out there.

I think your concerns are typical of a caring mom and the best way to find out things is to ask questions. Disney will take good care of your kids. But remember part of the responsibility will be up to the kids too.

We have taken teens on Disney and Carnival. After the first day on Disney we relaxed and had an awesome cruise. Not so on Carnival. Even the kids and teens didnt like it, they wanted to go on Disney again.

Going on a family cruise is just something you need to jump in and do to understand how it works and the safety that Disney takes for everyone.

I'm sure if you go on DCL you wont be disappointed and the kids will have a blast.

You might like to join the roll call board for your cruise date and look for other kids the age of your kids so they can get aquainted before the cruise. Then they will have a friend waiting for them before they even get on the ship. That usually takes alot of the stress away for the kids not knowing anyone and you have peace of mind about knowing their new friend and their family by posting on the roll call thread.

If there isnt a thread there for your cruise, then start one yourself and others will find you.

mom x4,grandma x4

Hi. We just got back from a Disney 7 day cruise. I was very impressed. I have been on Princess, Holland America, Carnival and now Disney. The ship was very clean, the shows were awesome and the food was very good. Definitely a quality experience. My 13 year old daughter loved the ship, had a great time, and I felt she was well supervised and safe. Even though we thouroughly enjoyed ourselves I don't think we will do Disney again until we have grandkids. Just too many small kids at the shows, gym was small and crowded, and didn't care for having to go to the show before our Late dinner seating. Their private Island is really great. Not much to complain about, definitely a quality product.

Thanks MomX4 ;)

Hey...since you a big Disney cruiser...you might know the answer to this.. Has there ever

been any talk about having a Disney ship leave from Galveston?

I might be able to answer this question for you. I worked in Disneys Transportation Dept at the time DCL was formed. We actually drove the Pres and VP and a few of the other upper level management around the state looking at different ports, more than once. At the time,and remember this was in 95, 96 ish, They let it slip that there was long range plans for 10 ships. With the 2 new ships that are being ordered, brings the total to 4. The 2 new ships are going to stay in Port Canveral for the first few years of their lives.(Per the new contract agreement with the port)The Magic and Wonder new homes are anybodies guess. It is so fluid that things change almost yearly as to what will happen next. I would say the next likely Port is in California. (Just a guess) It all will depend on the guest demand. Is Galveston a potential Port? Could be. However, it will put Castaway Cay out of reach. Also, as has been mentioned before, there is no Disney "draw" to Texas like Cal, and Florida has.(The parks to add the land sea package.)

I might be able to answer this question for you. I worked in Disneys Transportation Dept at the time DCL was formed. We actually drove the Pres and VP and a few of the other upper level management around the state looking at different ports, more than once. At the time,and remember this was in 95, 96 ish, They let it slip that there was long range plans for 10 ships. With the 2 new ships that are being ordered, brings the total to 4. The 2 new ships are going to stay in Port Canveral for the first few years of their lives.(Per the new contract agreement with the port)The Magic and Wonder new homes are anybodies guess. It is so fluid that things change almost yearly as to what will happen next. I would say the next likely Port is in California. (Just a guess) It all will depend on the guest demand. Is Galveston a potential Port? Could be. However, it will put Castaway Cay out of reach. Also, as has been mentioned before, there is no Disney "draw" to Texas like Cal, and Florida has.(The parks to add the land sea package.)

THANKS for the information, we appreciate it!!

There was an article in the Orlando Sentinel several months back where they did say at least one of the present ships will be in California, the other was still speculation where it would be.

Everyone was guessing Alaska cruises until a few weeks back when DCL announced it withdrew its bid for Alaskan ports, so that axed that idea.

So for now its anybodys guess?

I think a long cruise that stops every where Disney has a theme park and excusrions to visit the park would be an awesome idea!!!!

Just dreaming:):)

mom x4,grandma x4

THANKS for the information, we appreciate it!!

There was an article in the Orlando Sentinel several months back where they did say at least one of the present ships will be in California, the other was still speculation where it would be.

Everyone was guessing Alaska cruises until a few weeks back when DCL announced it withdrew its bid for Alaskan ports, so that axed that idea.

So for now its anybodys guess?

I think a long cruise that stops every where Disney has a theme park and excusrions to visit the park would be an awesome idea!!!!

Just dreaming:):)

mom x4,grandma x4

Your welcome. I live near Orlando and get the Sentenil delivered. I must have missed the article.Hmm.

After reading an article the other day about ships being pulled from Alaska, I wouldnt be surprised if it is several years before Disney heads up there. And it has nothing to do with demand. What I did not realize was the stricter enviromental laws governing ships up there. It might be too expensive for Disney at the moment to retrofit the ships to meet the new Alaska standards. Apparently the rules changes fairly regularly.

I am thinking at least one of the ships will end up in Cali, and the other possibly in or near Miami. The simple reason is that down there, it will tap a market that is a little out of reach for Disney right now. They could easily hit the Canal Zone for crossings, and go deeper into the Carribean, and stil have easy acess to CC.It would definitely give them more options, plus the option of longer cruises.Then again, with the current draw, the other Magic class ship may stay at Port Canaveral. It will be both interesting and exciting to see what happens next.

I wouldnt mind seeing a longer Disney Cruise, even like you said of going to where the Disney Parks are. Dont think I could get enought time off from work for that, but it still a nice dream.What I am looking for right now, and putting money aside for, is the homecoming crossing cruise, for the new ships. I would LOVE to come home on one of if not both of them.

I missed the article too but my hubby saw it and read it to me. We live in Fruitland Park just outside of Leesburg but are in Oregon until April. But my hubby still read the Sentinel everyday on line, plus other newspapers.

I agree it would be AWESOME to ride one of the new ships across to home!!

But for now I am saving for our first TA cruise in 2010 on the Magic. The cruise is cheap, the airfare is a killer and the dog sitter;).

I can't wait to cruise on the new ships, just to see them. I hope they add a few new ports too.

I wish they would give Florida resident rates on the special longer crusies but they don't do that:mad: But this year they have had discounts on almost every cruise (3, 4 & 7 day). I hope to catch an extra cruise this year with those discounts!! After we are back in Florida.:)

Hope your not freezing there, I saw some parts of Florida were below freezing:eek:

Kathy

Another thing to consider...JMHO...

Disney withdrew its contract proposal for Glacier Bay, which is not an area visited by EVERY cruiseship in Alaska. It is kind of regarded as the "flagship," but Tracy Arm and Sawyer Glacier are also popular destinations. While they may be "out" of Alaska, they may not be. Just something to consider... I'm not giving up hope yet as I feel there is a big niche for Disney to fill in Alaska.

I know St Marten has nudity,etc...

How did you handle that with kids in tow?? I feel like I wouldn't even be able to get off the ship in that port........?? Any ideas...

I'm going to have to agree with MikeandNick and recommend you don't leave the country, ever. There's alot of etc out there.

Another thing to consider...JMHO...

Disney withdrew its contract proposal for Glacier Bay, which is not an area visited by EVERY cruiseship in Alaska. It is kind of regarded as the "flagship," but Tracy Arm and Sawyer Glacier are also popular destinations. While they may be "out" of Alaska, they may not be. Just something to consider... I'm not giving up hope yet as I feel there is a big niche for Disney to fill in Alaska.

Disney tends to do things first class so to go all the way up to Alaska and not go to Glacier Bay? I don't think so.

If I was a betting man, and I am. My money would be on three ships in Port Canaveral and one in Southern California though probably not in Long Beach permanently. The warehouse terminals aren't Disney's style.

I missed the article too but my hubby saw it and read it to me. We live in Fruitland Park just outside of Leesburg but are in Oregon until April. But my hubby still read the Sentinel everyday on line, plus other newspapers.

I agree it would be AWESOME to ride one of the new ships across to home!!

But for now I am saving for our first TA cruise in 2010 on the Magic. The cruise is cheap, the airfare is a killer and the dog sitter;).

I can't wait to cruise on the new ships, just to see them. I hope they add a few new ports too.

I wish they would give Florida resident rates on the special longer crusies but they don't do that:mad: But this year they have had discounts on almost every cruise (3, 4 & 7 day). I hope to catch an extra cruise this year with those discounts!! After we are back in Florida.:)

Hope your not freezing there, I saw some parts of Florida were below freezing:eek:

Kathy

Never got as cold as they were saying, though it was still cold.

Thats Disney though. Not to knock them since they do do a great job on a lot of things, and we love the ships and sailing on them, lately to me at least since I have annual passes to Disney, Sea World, and Universal, you get more from Sea World and Universal, then thru Disney.(look at the discounts each park offers for annual passholders and youll see what I mean.The ships seem to follow the parks in discounts etc)SW and Universal seem to remember that especially today, its easier to pay over time for a pass, than to pay for one out right.Then give you more perks to boot.

Disney tends to do things first class so to go all the way up to Alaska and not go to Glacier Bay? I don't think so.

If I was a betting man, and I am. My money would be on three ships in Port Canaveral and one in Southern California though probably not in Long Beach permanently. The warehouse terminals aren't Disney's style.

True, but that would not stop them from building a new terminal in LA. (Which would incorporate a west coat, land/sea vacation package.)

I would agree, that Disney will go all the way when they do get to Alaska. I think right at the moment, its not economically feasible, with all of the restrictions on the ships up there.

Hubby and I cruise 3 lines RCI, CCL, and RCI. All have good and not so good points. Anytime you can go on a family vacation that is a wondeful time no matter what ship or line you go on. The service on Disney is superb compared to CCL and RCI. Disney has the embarkation down. After our 15 night on RCI to Hawaii the embarkation was a nightmare so much that we have not been back. Castaway Cay is fabulous. We are so looking forward to going on the Wonder in Oct.

Lexi

Just got back from my first cruise, a 3 night on the Disney Wonder. Submitted a great review (which they haven't posted yet :() and glanced at the other reviews because I was curious. I was shocked to read what some people were complaining about. One person wrote that the ship was terrible for adults. Me and my boyfirend were by ourselves with no kids and thought it was amazing and that they completley catered to adults. Every time I read reviews I get so worried, and then when I go on vacation I can't believe the bad things people said about the places I thought were great. Some people just look for the negatives. I thought Disney was awesome and would HIGHLY reccomend it to anyone. Ignore the bad reviews, go and have a great time!

Archived