Upgraded.....but!

Highly Sociable

We are doing a b2b with our two teenagers in April as part of our 25th wedding anniversary celebrations. Have just received a call from my TA, saying that Cunard have upgraded my husband and I to Princess Grill for one of the crossings, but left our children in Brittania. Doesn't anyone at Cunard have any sense. The rooms are cross referenced so that this can't happen as they have tried to updrade us before.

Our TA is going to go back to them to see if they can offer anything else. Will keep you posted.

We are doing a b2b with our two teenagers in April as part of our 25th wedding anniversary celebrations. Have just received a call from my TA, saying that Cunard have upgraded my husband and I to Princess Grill for one of the crossings, but left our children in Brittania. Doesn't anyone at Cunard have any sense. The rooms are cross referenced so that this can't happen as they have tried to updrade us before.

Our TA is going to go back to them to see if they can offer anything else. Will keep you posted.

What grade did they upgrade you from may i ask?

We are currently B1 on deck 12 and our teenagers are in an inside cabin opposite us. So I can't see them upgrading the children.

Mind you. It wasn't a free upgrade for us either. We had to pay £120 per person. But that didn't seem a bad deal.

Hold on.

You paid to be upgraded to Princess Grill?

Of course they didn't upgrade your children if you didn't pay for them too. And, whilst posting, Father Christmas doesn't exist and the tooth fairy is an invention too.

Mind you. It wasn't a free upgrade for us either. We had to pay £120 per person. But that didn't seem a bad deal.

Didn't you have the option at this point to either decline, or include your children in the upgrade? There must have been some direct communication, one assumes.

Mary

A bit of misunderstanding going on here i think.:confused:

Cunard contacted my TA regarding an upgrade, not the other way round.

I haven't paid anything yet, because I have declined the upgrade as it wasn't also offered to the other members of my party. I'm quite willling to pay for the children to be upgraded.

The original post was to point out that Cunard shoreside operations are not efficient annd make decisions without looking at the whole picture.

Hello OP,

You could always accept the upgrade for the larger room and extra amenities and dine with the rest of your family in the Brittania dining room. Your TA may also be able to have your children in an inside cabin across or close to the new stateroom.

Go for it!!!

Hello OP,

You could always accept the upgrade for the larger room and extra amenities and dine with the rest of your family in the Brittania dining room.

Interesting idea, but such an arrangement would certainly be at the discretion of the Britannia (one t, two n's:)) Maitre 'D.

my understanding was that any upgrades on Cunard from your original grade booked were without charge? I also know that you cannot decline an upgrade if you have 'will accept upgrade on your booking'. On P & O you can decline an upgrade if it is offered & i.e. the cabin location or grade assigned is not to your preference which you cannot do on Cunard.

Kind Regards,

RJMS74

my understanding was that any upgrades on Cunard from your original grade booked were without charge? I also know that you cannot decline an upgrade if you have 'will accept upgrade on your booking'. On P & O you can decline an upgrade if it is offered & i.e. the cabin location or grade assigned is not to your preference which you cannot do on Cunard.

Kind Regards,

RJMS74

I can only tell you what my TA told me. We were offered an ungrade on one cabin only, but at a cost of £120 each.

I called again yesterday to see if they had managed to find an upgrade for the children as well and was told then that the offer was probably further compensation for the prices having decreased since we made our original booking. They have already given us $1200 on board credit. Anyway, they can't find two rooms close to each other in P grade at the moment, but we are now on the waiting list for an upgrade should further rooms become available.

As it's our 25th anniversary the upgrade would be nice, but if it doesn't happen, then thats fine too as I know we are going to have a great time anyway.:)

I can only tell you what my TA told me. We were offered an ungrade on one cabin only, but at a cost of £120 each.

I called again yesterday to see if they had managed to find an upgrade for the children as well and was told then that the offer was probably further compensation for the prices having decreased since we made our original booking. They have already given us $1200 on board credit. Anyway, they can't find two rooms close to each other in P grade at the moment, but we are now on the waiting list for an upgrade should further rooms become available.

As it's our 25th anniversary the upgrade would be nice, but if it doesn't happen, then thats fine too as I know we are going to have a great time anyway.:)

Are you sure that £120 pp upgrade charge is not one incurred by your TA? We have been upgraded with Cunard on our T/A with no charge to us....and really why should there be?? Also you can refuse the upgrade even if you have agreed to an upgrade when you made your booking.

Melissa

Kind Regards,

RJMS74

Yes, we had the option to decline our upgrade with Cunard even though we had said 'yes to upgrade' when making our booking.

Melissa

Hi Melissa

that's interesting that you could have declined your upgrade - I have always been advised by my Travel Agent in the UK that if you have 'will accept upgrade' you have to accept this if one is offered.

Kind Regards,

RJMS74

Are you sure that £120 pp upgrade charge is not one incurred by your TA? We have been upgraded with Cunard on our T/A with no charge to us....and really why should there be?? Also you can refuse the upgrade even if you have agreed to an upgrade when you made your booking.

Melissa

Being offered a higher category for a price, that I would call an "upsell" not an upgrade.

Hi Melissa

that's interesting that you could have declined your upgrade - I have always been advised by my Travel Agent in the UK that if you have 'will accept upgrade' you have to accept this if one is offered.

Kind Regards,

RJMS74

Not in our case here in the US. We had previously booked midships and when our first upgrade was offered to us it was a cabin right at the back to which we refused.

Melissa

Exactly. I suspect it's the TA making a few extra ££ on the booking.

Hmm, if they go for it, they should insist on seeing confirmation of charge put through to Cunard on the credit card. That would be awful for a TA to try to scam them into paying for a comp. upgrade, but up-sells are not that uncommon (at least on other lines), so I am presuming it is just that.

Hmm, if they go for it, they should insist on seeing confirmation of charge put through to Cunard on the credit card. That would be awful for a TA to try to scam them into paying for a comp. upgrade, but up-sells are not that uncommon (at least on other lines), so I am presuming it is just that.

Hi SeaMates:

For sure if it's an up-sell then fair enough. I was just going by what the OP has stated in that it's an upgrade.... ;)

Cheers, Melissa

I agree with the post that said take the upgrade and enjoy the PG amenitites and dine (most of the time) in the Britannia, assuming the children are not too young. I understand you can "dine down" without problem so you can have any or all meals together in the Britannia. When our kids were late teens, there were often meals where we did not eat together. If your kids are old enough, you very well may have an evening or two where you dine without them. A night or two in the princess grill, or even the occassional breakfast or lunch, can be pretty special.

I do not see why you cannot refuse an upgrade if the location is "not acceptable" I personally would refuse an upgrade that put me next to the laundry for the use of passengers, as you will read many times on here, that becomes a "gathering place" from 7a.m until it is closed. very noisy indeed, and it goes on all day.

Also I do believe that all "upgrades" are "free perks" namely the passenger does not have to pay any extra. I certainly have never paid extra.

We are about to join the Queen Vic from Sydney to Southampton. We have booked an A3 and were offered an upgrade to a P1 - at a cost of US$1500 EACH. We declined but did say that we would accept a FREE upgrade :)

Funnily enough we have heard nothing from the TA since.

Are you serious? You turned down an upgrade to Princess Grill that would have cost only $25 per day per person? ($1500/59 days). Oh well. Have a great trip!

We are about to join the Queen Vic from Sydney to Southampton. We have booked an A3 and were offered an upgrade to a P1 - at a cost of US$1500 EACH. We declined but did say that we would accept a FREE upgrade :)

Funnily enough we have heard nothing from the TA since.

That's an upsell and not an upgrade imo.

That's an upsell and not an upgrade imo.

Agreed. It's an upsell. But a great one! I picked a random voyage and the per diem difference between a P1 and an A3 was $165 pp. $25 is a massive discount. But of course, I am ignoring the fact that it is for 59 days, not an insubstantial sum, but certainly a stretch I would make in a heartbeat (even if I had to forgo a couple of drinks a day!).

Archived