Space Shuttle Reschedule

RichNY

The 2/12/09 shuttle launch has been rescheduled to launch on 2/19/09,our departure date....YESSSS...no time posted yet .:D

A shuttle launch is on my bucket list. I almost saw one two years ago when I deliberately scheduled our WDW vacation for when Atlantis was to launch. Got KSC tickets and all....then Ernesto showed-up and messed the whole thing up. They postponed the launch and I couldn't get a refund.

I almost got to "survive" a hurricane though Ernesto was downgraded to a tropical storm.

Good Luck.

Couple of things. First, is that if you want to see a shuttle launch, keep in mind that there are only 5 or 6 missions left unless, somone gets there act together. My 2 cents, but if Russia, upsets someone else, or has another, opps, they missed the LZ by several hundred miles, or worse yet, puts the ISS somewhere its not supposed to be,with resulting damage, you might see the shuttles still fly up there.

Heres the info on STS 119 Discovery . Right now she is scheduled for a 441 am Launch.

There is a double scheduled for May, 12, and 15th,but as I understand it if one goes then the other is postponed.Not sure for how long.

I'll be arriving at WDW for the land portion of our vacation on 15 FEB 09 and will be transferring to the ship for the 19 FEB 09 sailing of the Wonder. I have seen two shuttle launchs and countless other unmanned vehicle launchs. My wife and daughter have never seen a shuttle launch, and are rather excited about the prospect of seeing this.

I've never been to WDW without my car or a rental. With a 4:41 am launch, I think I will want to rent a car. As a park guest, where can I pick up a rental car that won't be too big a pain to return?

Rick

First, what resort are you staying at? There are a few resorts on Disney property that rent cars. If not, there is a rental agency at Car Care which is by the MK parking lot.If I am not mistaken, they will pick you up at the resort, and bring you to the rental agency office.

If you are planning to go to KSC to see the launch then head to the ship, keep in mind 2 things. First KSC sells tickets to see the launch. They will bus you to within 4 miles or so from the launch site. They sell out quick. Also, you will be there with several thousand other people looking to see the same thing. They do offer pases to see the launch from the Visitors complex, but keep in mind youll have to arrive before midnight. They are real strict now on how things are done since 9-11. Also, they will not let back packs etc in the area either.Then keep in mind, that all of the people that are watching the launch will all head in the same direction at the same time.

Assuming the launch goes off as planned, it will be a beautifull experience.

Second, PC is about an hour ride from Disney. If you dont want to see the launch from Disney property,and cant get viewing tix from KSC,then I would suggest Jetty Park, which is minutes from the terminal. Youll have to wait a few hours though for the terminal to open. On the good side, if you stay there until around 6 amish, youll get to see the Wonder and probably some of the other ships come in from sea. (not sure of Carnival or RCL sched. I think that Carnival has a ship that mirrors the Disney 3/4 day trips.)

Couple of things. First, is that if you want to see a shuttle launch, keep in mind that there are only 5 or 6 missions left unless, somone gets there act together. My 2 cents, but if Russia, upsets someone else, or has another, opps, they missed the LZ by several hundred miles, or worse yet, puts the ISS somewhere its not supposed to be,with resulting damage, you might see the shuttles still fly up there.

Heres the info on STS 119 Discovery . Right now she is scheduled for a 441 am Launch.

There is a double scheduled for May, 12, and 15th,but as I understand it if one goes then the other is postponed.Not sure for how long.

I see nine shuttle launches scheduled through May 2010.

Truck1

Thanks for the advice. I'm staying at the Port Orleans French Quarter. I found that National and Alamo (two sides of the same coin) rent cars from the Magic Kingdom. It nice to hear that they will come and get me from the resort. They should given the very high price they charge for a car.

I've never done the "full emersion" Disney experience (Disney hotel, Disney transport, Disney food etc.). I'm used to either taking my own car on the Auto Train or renting one from the airport and staying off property. From my experience, Orlando is one of the cheapest places to rent a car. I once paid $9 a day for a car in Orlando. National, from the the Magic Kingdom parking lot, charges $120 a day for a car. Then they ladle another $30 in taxes and charges on top of that. Yikes!

I've been to Jetty Park several times. I have a scanner so I can listen to the countdown communications. Do they still broadcast the countdown on the local radio stations?

Since not all of our party is excited about the prospect of getting up at 2:30 am to drive to the Cape to see the launch, our plan is to head back to the Magic Kingdom after the launch or scrub, return the car, eat breakfast at Chef Mickey's (we have reservations for 9:00 am) and then head back to the Cape to board the ship.

The Magic will dock at about 6:00 am? With a 4:41 am launch time, wouldn't the Coast Guard hold them 30+ miles out at sea for the launch?

Rick

Rick

I see nine shuttle launches scheduled through May 2010.

Which site? I looked at the KSC site and the calandar is blank after Dec, 09.

I just looked again. Theres Feb 14th, May 12, and 15th (If the 12th goes the 15th is postponed.If the 12th is postponed the 15th goes as scheduled)) August 6th, November 12th, and December 10th. That is off the KSC Shuttle Launch Site.

Truck1

Thanks for the advice. I'm staying at the Port Orleans French Quarter. I found that National and Alamo (two sides of the same coin) rent cars from the Magic Kingdom. It nice to hear that they will come and get me from the resort. They should given the very high price they charge for a car.

I've never done the "full emersion" Disney experience (Disney hotel, Disney transport, Disney food etc.). I'm used to either taking my own car on the Auto Train or renting one from the airport and staying off property. From my experience, Orlando is one of the cheapest places to rent a car. I once paid $9 a day for a car in Orlando. National, from the the Magic Kingdom parking lot, charges $120 a day for a car. Then they ladle another $30 in taxes and charges on top of that. Yikes!

I've been to Jetty Park several times. I have a scanner so I can listen to the countdown communications. Do they still broadcast the countdown on the local radio stations?

Since not all of our party is excited about the prospect of getting up at 2:30 am to drive to the Cape to see the launch, our plan is to head back to the Magic Kingdom after the launch or scrub, return the car, eat breakfast at Chef Mickey's (we have reservations for 9:00 am) and then head back to the Cape to board the ship.

The Magic will dock at about 6:00 am? With a 4:41 am launch time, wouldn't the Coast Guard hold them 30+ miles out at sea for the launch?

Rick

Rick

Generally speaking no, as far as I know. Even with the ships in Port, you are well outside the balst area if something bad happens on the ground.The Coast Guard will however, close a stretch of ocean, that the shuttle will fly over, as a safety precaution. The cruise ships know this in advance, and will detour around the area.

Your on the Wonder no?

I would reconsider that option if at all possible. The reason is that it has taken me 3-4 hours to get from the KSC to the I drive area on the Beeline, due to traffic.(I used to live right at I drive and the bee line)

Yes. The local Stations generally will simulcast the countdown. 87.7 FM is the Orlando CBS station. You should be able to get that at Jetty Park. If not try a scan of the local radio stations and see what pops up.

I am going to look for the frequencies I have and post them in a few minutes.

We will be on the 2/15 Wonder which should be returning to port that morning. I know it says arrival time at the port is 7AM. How close do you think the ship will be at 441 AM?

Ron

Probably close enough that if you know where to look, you will see her. Assuming she flies. Before you go to sleep, check with Guest Services, and ask them when you get up that morn, where the best place to see it would be. Should be Port bowish.They should also know if they are taking another delay or not.

BTW, even though they say 7 am, the ships come in early sometimes. I have been on the Disney ships as they come in as early as 500.

Does anyone know what frequencies the KSC uses.....I have a hand held and just might bring it with me...

According to one site I saw, these following frequencies may not work.

If not try this. This will only work if you have a trunk tracker scanner.

Found this link Also.

Kennedy Space Center Safety 165.1875

Kennedy Space Center 173.662

Kennedy Space Center 173.1750

Kennedy Space Center 163.4625

Kennedy Space Center Fire/Rescue 173.5625

Kennedy Space Center 173.7825

Kennedy Space Center 163.5625

Kennedy Space Center Launch Support Ops 162.6125

Kennedy Space Center Base Commander 170.1500

Kennedy Space Center NASA Shuttle 126.3000

Kennedy Space Center Space Shuttle Ops 259.7000

Kennedy Space Center Search & Rescue 282.2000

Kennedy Space Center VIP'S 170.3500

Kennedy Space Center Shuttle Ground Ops 408.1500

Kennedy Space Center Shuttle Ground Ops 408.8000

Kennedy Space Center Crawlers 148.4550

Kennedy Space Center Crawlers 149.1750

Kennedy Space Center Launch Operations 148.4850

Kennedy Space Center Launch Operations 162.6125

Kennedy Space Center Recovery Vessels 148.4550

Kennedy Space Center Recovery Vessels 162.0125

Kennedy Space Center 41.4500

Kennedy Space Center 46.6500

Kennedy Space Center 49.6200

Kennedy Space Center 138.1500

Kennedy Space Center 139.0500

Kennedy Space Center 139.2500

Kennedy Space Center 139.3000

Kennedy Space Center 139.4250

Kennedy Space Center 139.9000

Kennedy Space Center 140.1700

Kennedy Space Center 140.2000

Kennedy Space Center 140.4000

Kennedy Space Center 141.0000

Kennedy Space Center 141.3000

Kennedy Space Center 142.8600

Kennedy Space Center 143.2800

Kennedy Space Center 143.4300

Kennedy Space Center 143.0350

Kennedy Space Center 148.2500

Kennedy Space Center 148.5150

Kennedy Space Center 148.5600

Kennedy Space Center 149.1500

Kennedy Space Center 149.2500

Kennedy Space Center 149.9000

Kennedy Space Center 150.1500

Kennedy Space Center 150.1950

Kennedy Space Center 150.2500

Kennedy Space Center 156.1850

Kennedy Space Center 163.5625

Kennedy Space Center 163.5875

Kennedy Space Center 164.5000

Kennedy Space Center 165.0125

Kennedy Space Center 165.0375

Kennedy Space Center 165.1125

Kennedy Space Center 165.6125

Kennedy Space Center 171.1500

Kennedy Space Center 173.5375

Kennedy Space Center Kennedy Aircraft Ops 164.8000

Kennedy Space Center Kennedy Ship Ops 148.5000

Kennedy Space Center Kennedy Ship Ops 149.1000

Kennedy Space Center Kennedy Ship Ops 162.0000

Kennedy Space Center Manned Flight SAR 121.5000

Kennedy Space Center Manned Flight SAR 123.1000

Kennedy Space Center Manned Flight SAR 156.0000

Kennedy Space Center Manned Flight SAR 156.8000

Kennedy Space Center Manned Flight SAR 157.1000

Kennedy Space Center Manned Flight SAR 243.0000

Kennedy Space Center Manned Flight SAR 282.5000

Kennedy Space Center Space Shuttle Chase 264.8000

Kennedy Space Center Media Coordination 171.2650

Kennedy Space Center Shuttle prior launch 126.6500

Which site? I looked at the KSC site and the calandar is blank after Dec, 09.

I just looked again. Theres Feb 14th, May 12, and 15th (If the 12th goes the 15th is postponed.If the 12th is postponed the 15th goes as scheduled)) August 6th, November 12th, and December 10th. That is off the KSC Shuttle Launch Site.

They used to put up dates for shuttle and unmanned mission launches at least two years ahead but they seem to go out to only a year or so now. They probably got complaints when they had to change dates frequently that being the nature of space flight.

Shuttle launch delayed again. Now the earliest is 22 Feb.

Seeing a shuttle launch is really cool. Back when I was in high school before the first explosion, our physic's teacher was able to get us passes to the press area. At the time was only a 2 or 3 miles from the pad, now that was awesome. While in college I recall making several road trips down for a launch. Haven't done any recently though.

They used to put up dates for shuttle and unmanned mission launches at least two years ahead but they seem to go out to only a year or so now. They probably got complaints when they had to change dates frequently that being the nature of space flight.

Could be. I am still hoping that they fly a few more times each year till they get the new program up and running. I am not holding much hope for that to work like the moon missions did in the 60's

Thanks Truck1

We get back from our cruise on the 22nd. Depending on the launch time maybe we'll get to see something..

Could be new time is 331 am

Shuttle launch delayed again. Now the earliest is 22 Feb.

Seeing a shuttle launch is really cool. Back when I was in high school before the first explosion, our physic's teacher was able to get us passes to the press area. At the time was only a 2 or 3 miles from the pad, now that was awesome. While in college I recall making several road trips down for a launch. Haven't done any recently though.

Ive seen more than a few, from close up. Both night and day launches. The night time ones are my favorites. They are spectacular.

wishing better luck than we've had thus far:ohave booked many trips trying to catch a shuttle launch w/o success...no problemo, safety 1st! yet still. did get to see rocket launch;)not quite the same thing

i booked trip beginning 6/27, trying to gauge a 2+ week delay for one scheduled on 6/13...tweaking my usual method of operation:rolleyes:

another scheduled for 12/10 this year, will be docking that date after 4 day on the Wonder...may be a winner-won't be leaving MCO until the 13th

Archived