Good books to read while on a cruise

DBG258RTR

Just curious--so forgive me for jumping in on your thread.

Do people actually read on a cruise? when

Sure do:) A "cruise" means different things to different people. My idea of a cruise is LA->Hong Kong 17 days, one stop in Hawaii and the rest sailing. We've done this cruise three times. Or cruising the LA->Miami through the canal. The last time we did that one, I got off the ship at one port to see a friend.

In addition, I can not remember the last time I went an entire day without reading a book (other than when in the hospital doped to the gills).

Some people drink tequila concoctions; some of us read. Different strokes.

I, too, read on a cruise. I can't imagine NOT reading something for an entire day let alone a whole week.

I can recommend American Wife. It loosely based on Laura Bush. I found it to be one of those books that are hard to put down.

Happy Cruising!!

I'm really!! hooked on Patricia Cornwell's novels; the Kay Scarpetta line. I think I'm on #6.

Fortunately I have them saved on my Sony digital reader, so I don't have to worry about the weight of books in my luggage.

Edited by Treven

I'm really!! hooked on Patricia Cornwell's novels; the Kay Scarpetta line. I think I'm on #6.

Fortunately I have them saved on my Sony digital reader, so I don't have to worry about the weight of books in my luggage.

Also love Cornwell, but Really LOVE Patterson.. I always bring a book if I can, although through the library on the Explorer I read the several Father Dowling Mysteries that were on board...a very easy read.

Nothing like a lounge on the deck, a "drink of the day" in my hand and a good book......AHHHH my idea of cruising, I don't care if I never go into port!:p

I read daily. I bring several books with me when on vacation and I've been known to buy more in the gift shops when I've finished the ones I've brought with me. I'm seriously thinking of bringing a bag full of old paperbacks to leave on the ship when we sail in a few weeks.

I read daily. I bring several books with me when on vacation and I've been known to buy more in the gift shops when I've finished the ones I've brought with me. I'm seriously thinking of bringing a bag full of old paperbacks to leave on the ship when we sail in a few weeks.

I am sure that would be appreciated by future pax on the ship and most kind of you.:)

We stock up at a used book store, and try to get as many as possible that we'll both like. Then we set them free - the last cruise we left them with the kids' program staff, who promised to share them among the crew. They were delighted - they said they only have a small library, and that books are constantly changing hands and in high demand.

I love to read books that have to do with the places I am visiting, like "Caribbean", by Michener, or the novel "Aztec" by Gary Jennings, which gets you interested in the time and much more excited about visiting the Aztec pyramids, lol. Warning--it's fictionalized and quite gory, but soooo much fun. "Caribbean" is an amazing book, but not really something that you could read in one cruise...it's pretty dense reading. I'd try to start that one a few weeks before you go, but it will really enrich your experience of the Caribbean.

I have to recommend Atlas Shrugged. It's been called the second most influential book behind the Bible. It's 1100 pages so would be excellent for B2B or a repositioning cruise as well.

My wife swears by paperback swap. You list your used books that people can have and pay to ship them to them, two bucks or so. When you send a book to someone you get a credit and can then request a book from someone and they will send the book to you and they pay for shipping. Pretty cool system.

Edited by jhans24

I, too, am a huge fan of Cornwell and Patterson. Unfortunately, I've read the entire Kay Scarpetta series about 8 times and just can't do it anymore! Well, maybe if I lay off for awhile.:o

James Patterson, on the other hand, writes so fast that I found 3 I hadn't read yet and already have them ready for our cruise next month!

I read while laying out. It's the only way I can lay there doing nothing. So, I read on the way to the ship (we're driving), every day on the ship and then in port because we just go to the beach. I will go through at least my 3 books on this 5 day cruise! I may have to check out the library.

I, too, am a huge fan of Cornwell and Patterson. Unfortunately, I've read the entire Kay Scarpetta series about 8 times and just can't do it anymore! Well, maybe if I lay off for awhile.:o

I've read my collection of Mitchner as well as the collection of Azimov, several times; but I have to wait a few years in between readings which does dull the storyline - you don't quite remember what's going to happen next. I've probably read Azimov's Foundation Trilogy 5 or 6 times over the last 10-15 years.

Edited by Treven

When laying out by the pool, when laying out at the beach, etc. I love reading on a cruise. Then again, I just love reading.

As for book suggestions...what types of books do you like? Without knowing your tastes, I seriously doubt anyone here will be of much use.

If you haven't read any of Janet Evanovich's Stephanie Plum books, give them a try. They are hilarious.

If you like Janet Evanovitch, might I recommend Gemma Halliday? She writes the "High Heels Mysteries" for Dorchester Publishing, and they are absolutely hilarious. And I'm not just saying that because she's a good friend of mine. :D USA Network has recently optioned "Spying in High Heels" to be developed into a sitcom, actually.

Edited by Dukegirl5577

If you like Janet Evanovitch, might I recommend Gemma Halliday? She writes the "High Heels Mysteries" for Dorchester Publishing, and they are absolutely hilarious. And I'm not just saying that because she's a good friend of mine. :D USA Network has recently optioned "Spying in High Heels" to be developed into a sitcom, actually.

I just bought all 5 of her books this week. Unfortunately, they are so good and so funny that I'm already on the last one. I couldn't put them down. Gemma Halliday is definitely one to read.