Princess or Royal Caribbean Voyager Series???

Jessica_2020

I was hoping I could get some opinions from those of you that have cruised Royal Caribbean, one of the voyager ships, and also Princess Cruise Lines. Me and my Fiancee' are really torn between which of these to pick. I would really like to go to the Caribbean on one of the Voyager Ships and he is for Princess. We are planning on getting married and it will be our wedding/honeymoon all in one cruise to the Western Caribbean! We just got back from Mexico on the Norwegian Star and had a wonderful time, it was our first cruise, but I really think I want to try a different line (Not that I didn't like NCL) I just really want to try other lines and find our favorite!

The Voyager class ships (I sailed on Explorer) is a totally different experience than a Princess ship.

You will generally find a younger group on the Voyager class ships and there will be more kids. Princess has people of all ages but the average age will be a little older on Princess.

Voyager class ships will be great if you guys like Rock Climbing, Ice Skating, etc. . It is more action packed than a Princess ship. I thought the entertainment was a little better on RCCL also. RCCL ships will give you a WOW feeling when you first walk in - the decor is very colorful and energic while the Princess ships will look classier and will have more soft colors.

RCCL has salt water pools while Princess has fresh water pools. I give Princess the upper bid on food but the Voyager class dining room is gorgeous.

They are both good choices - it all depends on what you are looking for on your cruise.

I have been on both in the past year. I don't know your age but if you are in the under 50 group, I think you will have more fun on RCCL. The age group on RCCL is much younger than Princess. Yes, there are more kids but that also means more couples under 40. The variety of things to do is much greater on RCCL. The central atrium on RCCL Voyager class ships is a great place to go to to have some fun. On Princess the atrium is just shopping and usually a lone piano player playing the classics. The food is a tie but RCCL has Jonny Rockets and a really great Steak House. Princess Steak House just isn't close to being as good. Which ever you choose, you will have a great time. Both are a step up from NCL.

Mike

Thanks for your replies!

Mike:
To answer your question..Me and my fiancee' are both in our early 20's!

MMMM...you're making me hungry a big burger or steak sounds really good about now...I should be cooking dinner but I'm still on the internet..:) UH oH! Anyways, it definitely sounds like RCCI will be more fun! Thanks again!

BTW, does it cost extra to eat in Johnny Rockets??? I have read that it costs extra but I've also read that it is free, which is it????

I didn't realize the Voyager class ships had a Steakhouse (Chops). I know it is on the Radiance class but it wasn't on the Explorer when I sailed. Which Voyager class ships have Chops - is it on the newer ships?

=====

I just looked and Chops is on the newer Voyager class ships - not the older ones.

Dining room on Voyager is big and noisy and there is only one and you go either early or late. On the Carribean Princess there are four smaller intimate dining rooms where you can hear your table mates and you can eat anytime you want. Bigger shopping area on Voyager. I don't need rock walls or ice rinks. Both have nice shows and lots of bars and things to do. But Princess is the love boat and is more romantic. I don't know if they still do it but if you went on a Valentines cruise they gave everyone a read tea shirt for Valentines day. Want big and gaudy go Voyager or for a little romance go Princess.

I like RCL, but I think Princess might be a little more subdued and romantic. The age range may be a bit younger on RCL, but not YOUNG enough to make a difference for us (my bf and I are 24 and 26), still most passenger were 30+ on our RCL cruise, same on Celebrity and Princess. There are usually not that many 20 somethings on any line, you will have fun whatever line you choose and you will meet fun people on both lines.

I think RCL is a little more vegas-style, a bit more lively in decor, but I don't think the activities differ that much. (except if ice-skating is a priority to you in the caribbean??). I think the food is comparable (except for more choices on Princess), but the dining room on RCL is dramatic and beautiful (but yes it can be loud!). The pools on Princess are FRESH WATER and their are 2 adult pools. I think it is a toss up. If you choose Princess make sure to choose a new Grand Class Ship for all of the choices. We are going on the CP for NEw Years. I will tell you how it goes!!

Our first cruise was on Princess in Aug of '03 and we actually got engaged on the Sun Princess on that trip. Back this past September we went on RCCL's Explorer partly because it left on the Sunday after out Wedding and Princess didn't have a ship that left South Florida until at least Monday and we didn't want to wait an extra day. We loved the EOS. My husband is 28 and I'm 25 and we just had a blast on that ship. I'd highly recommend them, although we WILL be cruising princess again.

Sam

One thing to consider is that you can actually get married while at sea on Princess in an actual chapel with an entire wedding ceremony. We are doing that on the Star Princess and have 50+ guests going with us. It combines the wedding and honeymoon at much less the normal cost and our guests are LOOKING FORWARD to a wedding! We're sailing on Dec 5th and will post a review after we return. It's a great choice either way but I will say that Princess really caters to a wedding group.

We had booked Explorer of the Seas prior to sailing the Caribbean Princess last summer. When we got back from that summer cruise I got to thinking about it and cancelled the Explorer of the Seas cruise, rebooking the Caribbean Princess again.

I just couldn't imagine cruising without Anytime Dining, it's been really appropriate for us. In addition, after we did our wedding renewal of vows ceremony, not even a full wedding, I was really happy that we'd stuck with Princess, they really did that up nice!

Well, I take my first cruise with Princess next month but I'll go out on a limb and say VOYAGER!!!!!!!!! :D My husband and I honeymooned on RCL (late 20's, early 30's) this past May. We didn't feel RCL lacked romance at all. There were about 100 other couples honeymooning with us. Furthermore, judging by the professional cruise reviews, you will find more people in your age demographic on RCL. I also believe that the nightlife will be better. Personally, the Voyager class series of ships are the best vessels afloat. I'm confident that I will enjoy my Princess cruise but I don't think it will compare to the Voyager series.

I agree though with jmike. I've sailed on Celebrity, CCL, RCL, and NCL whichever you choose will be a step up from NCL.

Activity wise you'd be happier on Royal Caribbean - Princess is a nice line to relax but there isn't much in the way of dancing or club's for night time. Not much participation, usually, for pool games, etc. We like both lines, but choose according to what we need for that specific vacation - more action, fun = RCCL - quiet, more time in cabin - Princess

[quote name='iluvcruzin']Just book both Jessica! One for the Honeymoon and another for the 1/2 year anniversary :)

Congrats on the engagement.[/QUOTE]

Best advice so far! hehe :) If we had the money we would get married on Princess and then go from their right to RCCI! :) That would be in a perfect world though....

Thanks everybody else for all of your opinions thus far! I am still thinking Royal caribbean basically cuz I'm sure it will be more fun than Princess....but then again...A wedding at sea would be really nice also! I am worried that if we do go RCCI and we end up doing the Wedding before we leave port that may be a little bit hectic!

I've sailed both and I'd pick Princess. There are many things the same on the two lines but some things stand out.

* If you like to do rock climbing or ice skating, it's Voyager
* If you like going to malls and don't have any near you to go to, it's Voyager
* If you like salt water swimming, it's Voyager
* If you like dining with the same people every night at the same time, it's Voyager
* If you like mediocre food that's not available 24/7 except through room service, it's Voyager
* If you like doing muster on a hot deck with hundreds of people pressing against you while you strain to hear the instructions, it's Voyager

However, if you like to be flexible and be able to eat when and where you want to, 24/7, it's Princess. If you like freshwater pools, it's Princess. If you like to relax in a lounge, have a drink and be entertained at the same time, it's Princess.

My experience is that the food and dining room and cabin service was MUCH better on Princess.

[quote name='Pam in MA']I've sailed both and I'd pick Princess. There are many things the same on the two lines but some things stand out.

* If you like to do rock climbing or ice skating, it's Voyager
* If you like going to malls and don't have any near you to go to, it's Voyager
* If you like salt water swimming, it's Voyager
* If you like dining with the same people every night at the same time, it's Voyager
* If you like mediocre food that's not available 24/7 except through room service, it's Voyager
* If you like doing muster on a hot deck with hundreds of people pressing against you while you strain to hear the instructions, it's Voyager

However, if you like to be flexible and be able to eat when and where you want to, 24/7, it's Princess. If you like freshwater pools, it's Princess. If you like to relax in a lounge, have a drink and be entertained at the same time, it's Princess.

My experience is that the food and dining room and cabin service was MUCH better on Princess.[/QUOTE]

Do you know if you can choose your tablemates with RCCI??? We will be having a lot of family and friends with us on our wedding cruise and we definitely want to be able to sit with at least some of them.. :)

I take it you didn't like Royal Caribbeans food?? hehe

[quote name='Jessica_2020']Do you know if you can choose your tablemates with RCCI??? We will be having a lot of family and friends with us on our wedding cruise and we definitely want to be able to sit with at least some of them.. :)

I take it you didn't like Royal Caribbeans food?? hehe[/QUOTE]
Yes.. Your TA can put a request in for your family and friends sitting together. You will need everyone's booking numbers in case someone booked with a different TA.

You will love RCCL. I gave my son & his fiance a gift of a honeymoon on RCCL. They just recieved their docs recently and are looking forward to going.

Alright...think I figured it out...But I have a feeling it's not going to happen the way I would like it too! :)

We'll get married on a Princess Ship with our friends and family and then we'll go on our honeymoon cruise on Royal Caribbean...hehe HMMMM...Wonder if my fiancee' will go for that (crossing fingers) Ohhhh...maybe in a perfect world! *G*

[quote name='kadiebug12']That's exactly what we're doing and we can't wait! Married on Princess, come home for one night (we live in Miami), then honeymoon on Royal Caribbean. Our wedding is on the Eastern Caribbean itinerary, honeymoon on the Western. :)[/QUOTE]

Ooohhh I'm green with envy! J/K I hope you and your soon to be hubby will have the time of your lives! :) Hope my fiancee' will see things my way..hehe!

Simply put. absoloutely no comparision. I've on both- Much more beautiful ship...PRINCESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

THE BEST!!

RCCL is moving too far away from what cruising is about- too big of a ship, and uncomfortable.

STICK WITH PRINCESS, TRUST ME, YOU WONT BE DISSAPOINTED!!

Archived