A new HAL Blog! (Yes, I'm a HAL employee!)

DutchByAssociation

Wines by the Glass (which can be ordered anywhere on the ship):

Champagne & Sparkling Wines

Domaine Ste Michelle Brut, WA - $8

Veuve Clicquot Yellow Label Brut, France - $14.50

Moet & Chandon Brut Imperial, france - $14.50

White Wines

Twin Oaks Woodbridge White Zinfandel, CA - $5.50

Alice White Cahrdonnay, Australia - $6

Robert Mondavi Riesling, CA - $8

Rosemont Estate Chardonnay, Australia - $7

Pinot Grigio Rufino, Italy - $8

Blackstone Sauvignon Blanc, CA - $7

Kenwood Sauvignon Blanc, CA - $7.50

Villa Maria Sauvignon Blanc, new Zealand - $9.50

Red Wines

Twin Oaks Woodbridge Cabernet Sauvignon, CA - $6

Alice White Shiraz, Australia - $6

Rosemont Estate Shiraz, Australia - $8

Wolf Blass Cabernet Sauvignon, Australia - $9

Guenoc Cabernet Sauvignon, CA - $7

Meridian Pinot Noir, CA - $7.50

Beringer Founders' Estate Cabernet Sauvignon, CA - $8

Columbia Crest Grand Estates Merlot, WA - $9.50

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Cellar Master's Reserve Wines by the Bottle

Veuve Clicquot La Grand Dame Rose, France - $362

Louis Roederer Cristal, Reims, France - $244

Cloudt Bay Sauvignon Blanc, New Zealand - $78

Vega Sicilia "Unico", Ribera Del Duero, Spain - $622

Antinori Solaia, Ruscany, Italy - $189

Chateau Figeac, St Emilion, France - $205

Chateau Haut Brion, Pessac Leognan, France - $422

Niebaum Coppola, Rubicon Estate, CA - $168

Caymus Special Selection, CA - $195

Opus One Napa, CA - $249

Chateau D'Yquem, Grand Vin, Bordeaux, France - $296

Wow - you are the best!

This was exactly what I needed to know. I am trying to decide how much and what is worth buying at Total Wine on my way from the airport to the cruise ship and what is not. It looks like better known (popular) vineyards have the greatest mark-up and lesser knowns have less mark-up. And the champagnes are way up there! And I do love champagnes! We have 3 sea days so having a couple of bottles on the veranda sounds great - I also like the bars and lounges so I don't want to bring too much. :rolleyes:

Decisions...decisions...

Wow - you are the best!

This was exactly what I needed to know. I am trying to decide how much and what is worth buying at Total Wine on my way from the airport to the cruise ship and what is not. It looks like better known (popular) vineyards have the greatest mark-up and lesser knowns have less mark-up. And the champagnes are way up there! And I do love champagnes! We have 3 sea days so having a couple of bottles on the veranda sounds great - I also like the bars and lounges so I don't want to bring too much. :rolleyes:

Decisions...decisions...

You are welcome.

Enjoy!!

Thank you for the reply. It sounds like we will have a spruced up ship to look forward to. Glad they are adding the Canaletto, we really enjoyed that restaurant on the Oosterdam.

Hi there. Not sure on any specifics, I think mostly just general maintenance, carpets where needed, etc. But yes, Canaletto will be added during this dry dock.

Westerdam is a phenomenal ship. Enjoy!

We are taking the bus from the port in Rome (Civitavecchia) to "a central location in Rome". I have been to Rome many times and I would like to plan the sites we would like to see that day starting with the furthest point and work our way back. Do you know where the drop off point will be? We will be in Rome on 4-28. Thanks

So I’ve had a chance to get this blog going to where I know I can keep dedicated to it so I wanted to let all of you know about it.

As you can see from other posts on the blog if you look through what I’ve put up previously, I am an employee of HAL at the corporate offices in Seattle and must admit that the combination of the Holland America Blog http://www.hollandamericablog.com and John Heald’s Blog http://www.johnhealdsblog.com have inspired me to try my own hand at it.

Please let me know anything you are curious about or would like to see covered.

I simply ask that you realize that I am not your travel agent, the Reservations department nor your Personal Cruise Consultant and that I am unable to discuss your personal booking, take payments, provide free upgrades :) and so forth.

My goal is to offer a wide variety of info, both work-related and about me, such as that which John does on his blog…

So ask away, I’m here! And welcome!

http://dutchbyassociation.blogspot.com/

~B

Question for you...

If you were going to cruise out of Civitavecchia and were getting there the day before would you go to Rome or stay in Civitavecchia? We have been to Rome before and wondered if there was another place close to Civitavecchia with some "charm" we might enjoy? Don't know if you've been there or might know someone that has...

Thank you and nice blog!

We are taking the bus from the port in Rome (Civitavecchia) to "a central location in Rome". I have been to Rome many times and I would like to plan the sites we would like to see that day starting with the furthest point and work our way back. Do you know where the drop off point will be? We will be in Rome on 4-28. Thanks

Unfortunately I don't. I would recommend asking SHore Excursions if this is one HAL offers. If they don't have the info immediately available, ask if they can check with the vendor and follow-up with you.

Question for you...

If you were going to cruise out of Civitavecchia and were getting there the day before would you go to Rome or stay in Civitavecchia? We have been to Rome before and wondered if there was another place close to Civitavecchia with some "charm" we might enjoy? Don't know if you've been there or might know someone that has...

Thank you and nice blog!

Unfortunately, never been to Civitavecchia. I have been to Rome though. I'll try asking around and see if anyone can offer any advice.

Unfortunately, never been to Civitavecchia. I have been to Rome though. I'll try asking around and see if anyone can offer any advice.

We have taken the HAL back to back cruises out of Civitavecchia. There is no nice place to stay since Civitavecchia is an industrial port. We took a precruise package and stayed in Rome and did three days of Rome before boarding the ship. This might be you best option but it is a little pricey.

Our back to back was 20 days, 10 days West med and 10 days East med. We returned to Civitaveccha in between and we took the bus into Rome which is about 1.5 hr each way so 3 hours total.

Hope this helps.

Hello Dutch

I am very frustrated right now!! I asked you this so many weeks ago -- got a simple reply -- nothing more on the subject. Got an e-mail from a friend and now find that the Collector's have been added to the itineraries. Have called our TA -- late for her and hope to hear from her tomorrow.

From your blog:

post_old.gif December 5th, 2009, 04:46 PM

30,000+ Club

icon1.gif

We were looking at the 2011 Noordam cruise for both February and March -- see nothing for January -- WHY??

Also on the February and March cruises there is nothing listed as a "Collector's" cruise like there is for 2010 on HAL's web site. WHY??

Our TA has a brochure throught the spring of 2011 and there is a Collector's cruise listed. When she called HAL a few days ago she was informed that she wasn't reading correctly!!

Something is wrong here.

But the cabin we like is not available for any of the dates we are interested in.

Exactly what date did the Noordam go from separate 10 day cruises to the Collector's cruises of 20 days??

I am booked on HAL's 21 day Prisendam May 17th trans Atlantic cruise. Presently I am 8 days shy of my 100 day 4 star cruising status with HAL.

Please..is there any way I can achieve the 4 star status and benefits after I have completed 8 days while still on the cruise.

Dennis

387 days at sea

33 cruises

11 cruise lines

T/P, T/A, Hawaii, Central & South America, New Zealand & South Pacific

Booked

21 day TA HAL Prinsondam May 2010

12 day TA Norigian Sun Oct 2010

I am booked on HAL's 21 day Prisendam May 17th trans Atlantic cruise. Presently I am 8 days shy of my 100 day 4 star cruising status with HAL.

Please..is there any way I can achieve the 4 star status and benefits after I have completed 8 days while still on the cruise.

Dennis

387 days at sea

33 cruises

11 cruise lines

T/P, T/A, Hawaii, Central & South America, New Zealand & South Pacific

Booked

21 day TA HAL Prinsondam May 2010

12 day TA Norigian Sun Oct 2010

Four star cruise rating is 200 nights/points. -- 100 nights/points is three Star.-- Are you short of the 200 nights/points?

I would just like to know when HAL finally made up their minds about hainvg the Collector's cruise since we gave up on HAL and booked them as separate cruises and are now paying more. That was all back the first part of December.

HAL is frustrating us.

When we were on the Maasdam in November we talked to the onboard consultant about the 20-day Collectors voyages in November/December ... but they had not yet opened for booking. His suggestion was that I book the two 10-day voyages and, when the Collectors opened up, they could be merged as a Collectors sailing, with the appropriate Collectors pricing. Ended up just giving him the $100 for a to-be-determined cruise ... well, the Collectors since have opened up and we are assessing them.

When I talked with HAL Seattle back in December, the rep strongly encuraged me to make my booking, as only 2 cabins and 3 guarantees were availble in the category of our choice. When those sell, he said, the category would be closed. Well, those same 2 cabins still are available. Also, by looking at each 10-day sailing, there is a wide variety of cabins available in our chosen category. So, I surmise that if you really wanted a 20-day, HAL likely would be able to tap into the inventories for each of the 10-day sailings to find you an acceptable cabin that, perhaps, is not shown as available for the 20-day Collectors.

I know you have many days on HAL and much knowledge of HAL's product ... and I apologize if the above seems condescending. That was not my intention.:)

...Our TA has a brochure throught the spring of 2011 and there is a Collector's cruise listed. When she called HAL a few days ago she was informed that she wasn't reading correctly!!

Then I don't read so good either. I have the exact same brochure as your T/A, got it in early December, and it shows Noordam 20-day Collectors voyage for Feb 6, 16, 26 and for Mar 8, 18, 28. So ... one would think that if it's in the brochure, it's available for booking:rolleyes:

I would just like to know when HAL finally made up their minds about hainvg the Collector's cruise since we gave up on HAL and booked them as separate cruises and are now paying more. That was all back the first part of December.

HAL is frustrating us.

Thanks KK, I understood the question.

If this is information (your question re: "when") that can be given out, someone in Reservations would have access to it.

My suggestion about room assignment (this is what has caused your discontent, correct?) would have been nearly identical to that which camp637 beat me to:

So, I surmise that if you really wanted a 20-day, HAL likely would be able to tap into the inventories for each of the 10-day sailings to find you an acceptable cabin that, perhaps, is not shown as available for the 20-day Collectors.

When we were on the Maasdam in November we talked to the onboard consultant about the 20-day Collectors voyages in November/December ... but they had not yet opened for booking. His suggestion was that I book the two 10-day voyages and, when the Collectors opened up, they could be merged as a Collectors sailing, with the appropriate Collectors pricing. Ended up just giving him the $100 for a to-be-determined cruise ... well, the Collectors since have opened up and we are assessing them.

When I talked with HAL Seattle back in December, the rep strongly encuraged me to make my booking, as only 2 cabins and 3 guarantees were availble in the category of our choice. When those sell, he said, the category would be closed. Well, those same 2 cabins still are available. Also, by looking at each 10-day sailing, there is a wide variety of cabins available in our chosen category. So, I surmise that if you really wanted a 20-day, HAL likely would be able to tap into the inventories for each of the 10-day sailings to find you an acceptable cabin that, perhaps, is not shown as available for the 20-day Collectors.

I know you have many days on HAL and much knowledge of HAL's product ... and I apologize if the above seems condescending. That was not my intention.:)

We did book both of the cruise dates that we wanted -- just so that we got the SA that we wanted. Way back at the end of November. Mainly because we know how popular these Noordam cruises are. Believe me we were paying way more for the 2 separate cruises than if we could have gotten them as a collector's cruise. Our TA had us and HAL on the phone for over an hour yesterday working on this situation as HAL only wanted ti give us the discount rate if cancelled our 2 cruises and rebooked as 1 cruise -- and maybe losing the cabin we wanted. We even tried working on different dates. Tough morning but we did get the price reduction and it is now a Collector's cruise for us.

Archived