Balcony or window for first cruise? Please help!

Beachlover325

My husband and I are going on our first cruise in May for our first anniversary on Royal Caribbean to Cozumel and Grand Cayman. We can't decide whether to stick with a window (we know we at least want that) or go with a "category x" cabin for a guaranteed balcony. The cruise is 5 nights. The cruise agent we're working with on ************* is offering a category f window for $751/person and a category x for $831/person, plus a $75 onboard credit and a coupon book for either. I'm just not sure if we would use a balcony that much - any advice? We both like it really dark when we sleep so one concern I have is that it would be too light with a balcony, unless there are really heavy drapes?

I'd really appreciate any help you could give me - we'd like to book asap!

Most people will tell you to get the balcony...I'm not most people. I have had balcony cabins, and they are nice. But I spent little time there. I want to be on deck when we come into port...Where I can walk around and have multiple views. With a balcony, you have a more limited view. This is your first cruise...You will want to be out and about, exploring the ship, making little discoveries. The cruise is only five days. If you decide cruising is really for you, and want to do a longer cruise, maybe you can move up to a balcony. Get the OV. EM

I'm the opposite of the previous poster. I'm of the "Once you go balcony, you'll never go back" mindset.

However, since this is your first cruise, I'd recommend the "Window" as you call it.

Once you get on board, you may find that no matter what cabin type you have, You just HATE cruiseing and being on a ship. Why spend all that extra money.

If, on the other hand, you find that you love cruiseing, you have something to look forward to on your next cruise. You'll get to join the Balcony Club ;)

We have been in this decission making position before. We chose an inside room for our first cruise. WE LOVED IT! hey, it was our first cruise. They could have given us a pillow and a blanket and told us to sleep on a table in the buffet. We would have been like :D!

Now, as we begin to plan our 2010 cruise we are going to be in our first balcony. DH insists. I say go with the cheaper cabin and spend the extra $$ someplace else. First cruise. It really does not matter where you sleep!

Have Fun.

Happy Cruising.

I always sleep with a window open, and I don't think the windows open on oceanview windows. That has put me in balcony cabins up till now. We do use it, but it is a question of personal choice. I love the coffee on the balcony very early in the AM. Those who sleep later probably can just get up and go!

You will probably get varied opinions on this and that's a good thing but in the end, you should do what you think is the best to make your cruise the most enjoyable for the cost involved. If my math is correct, the balcony that you are considering will cost and extra $160 or $32 per day. Is that worth it to you?

In our case, we never cruise without a balcony because we enjoy the benefits of having one but that's just our opinion.

Whichever choice you make, enjoy your cruise...:)

A lot depends on your life style. My DH and I enjoy a lazy morning with coffee and fruit on the balcony. We don't rush out of the room. We also enjoy an hour before dinner for a glass of wine on the balcony. It's how we like to do things at home and on vacation.

If you like to get going quickly in the morning and like to be around a lot of people, then you won't use the balcony. Just picture your lifestyle...that will tell you if you need it.

The drapes are always darkening.

Have a great cruise!

I've been told by numerous cruisers that if you opt for an oceanview cabin, make sure you reserve one with a regular window. Many folks have told me a cabin with a port hole is not worth more than an inside cabin.

I would normally agree, but we have the hugest porthole on our last cruise! LOL! I thought from the photos (online) that I had upgraded to an oV that had two smaller portholes, imagine my surprise when it was one huge porthole! I think you would have to be familier with the ship or ask prior to booking.........

I am going on my first cruise this coming monday. When I booked, I booked a Balcony...Not because of the balcony but because I thought it would be a bit bigger than an inside or oceanview.

I have already made the decision to get either an inside or just an oceanview on my next cruise...if I decide to go on another cruise after this one.

My vote is for the balcony. We had a cabin with a large window on our first cruise then tried a balcony cabin on the next and have not gone back.

Here are a few things to think about:

1. If you decide to go with the balcony; work with your TA to make sure it is one with an unobstructed view. (Same is true with the window cabin as you might me looking out at lifeboats, etc.)

2. I agree with one of the earlier posters with a bit of a twist. The balcony is a great place to start the morning/day with coffee and/or breakfast together plus it gives you a place to enjoy the morning without bothering your significant other if he/she is sleeping a bit late and you do not simply want to go off and explore on your own.

3. I strongly agree with the earlier comments about having a place for the two of you to enjoy the evening (sunset depending on the direction of the ship and side you are on) with drinks or whatever you choose.

4. The fact that you can open the door and enjoy the ocean sounds and smell is no small side benefit of the balcony vice a window.

5. The balcony lets you enjoy entering port from your cabin vice having to get up early to dress and get topside in cases where you sleep a little later than planned or by choice.

6. The cruise is for your anniversary; let's face it - balconies are just a bit more romantic than windows. At least, they can be!!

7. As for wanting it really dark - there are no streetlights outside your cabin when you are cruising at night and the curtains on the doors are heavy.

Hope this helps.

FW&FS

Thanks to everyone - you were all really helpful! We decided to just go with oceanview and save the money for extras like drinks. I hope we don't regret no balcony but I'm sure we'll have fun no matter what! Thanks for all the advice - I'm counting down the days! :)

Archived