Formal Nights on Holland America

VaTraveler

Yep dibbitz brought it up but I found his info incorrect for my 2019 HAL cruise on formal night so I posted.

Maybe I should start a new thread; becasue I would love all lines to do what the newest RCI ship will do, no traditional dining and one no pay extra restaurant is formal every night. the others are casual both pay extra and no pay extra.

I may would actually get excited about what I wore on cruises again. As it is, when so many do not participate, it sort've spoils the ambiance for me. I feel why dress to the 9's when a good percentage dress casually? I dress up but I do not want to stick out, even if it is in a good way. I never buy anything new for formal night now, I just wear what I already have as I no longer find it "fun." if we had one restaurant that was always formal and enforced I would get excited again as we would have the ambiance at least in the diningroom.

Typo- 2010 HAL cruise. formal night was quite causal then I just can't see it has gotten more formal in almost 5 years, I would think if anything,the other way.

Typo- 2010 HAL cruise. formal night was quite causal then I just can't see it has gotten more formal in almost 5 years, I would think if anything,the other way.

From what I have heard from my HAL roll call, it is much less formal. I decided to leave my really dressy evening clothes at home and just take my long black skirt and a few sparkly tops and jackets. Will save my dressiest stuff for my next Cunard cruise.

From what I have heard from my HAL roll call, it is much less formal. I decided to leave my really dressy evening clothes at home and just take my long black skirt and a few sparkly tops and jackets. Will save my dressiest stuff for my next Cunard cruise.

Yes, I do that for all cruises now. Heck,it saves on packing and it saves money. However, if we could have the ambiance, yep I would go and buy a beautiful gown and hubby would wear his tux. He still has his tux but has not worn it in about 5 years now.

If one dining room was reserved for a formal dinner (formal dress required not suggested) and along with dinner we were given some sort of musical show, maybe a piano player that would sing old classics from old movies,along with the dining room done up in a 1930's to 1950's Hollywood golden age vintage decor; well yes I would want to dress to the 9's. It would be fun then.

It could even be a much smaller dining room and you would need to reserve dinner there. Even if it was pay extra, if we had that kind of ambiance I would bite and I am sure many others would also.

On an 11 day HAL cruise,(Mediterranean) I've heard there will be 3 formal nights. Does anyone know which nights these typically fall on? Thanks!

Not HAL but we did a 12 day Med on Celebrity and we had 3 formal nights. You can find a simple black gown or cocktail dress that does not wrinkle and change out your jewelry if you want to save on packing. That is what I did.

However, since we had 12 hour ports, we ended up not going to one, we were too tired and had room service. that day we had shorter port time, but the previous two days we had done all day excursions and were still exhausted. Of course with that cruise, I think we only went to the dining room 6 of the 12 nights. Twice because we ate in specialties, and the other times we were just too tired and either did room service or the buffet.