Solo Cruising - Longer cruise okay? 30 something year old

Scott1975DC

Does anyone have any advice if going on an 11 day cruise could be fun for 33 year old? I am looking at a transatlantic, but having second thoughts as 11 days alone is a while. I am very independent and often travel alone, but not for more than 4 or 5 days, and never on a cruise yet. The transatlantic cruise is just such a great deal and a balcony cabin to keep me happy in my cabin. And none of my friends can take nearly 2 weeks off of work, or do they like the thought of paying for a multi-segment international flight. Thoughts/advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

I just did my first solo cruise because my partner could not get time off from work. I did twenty days, two 10 b2b. I loved it. I socialized when I felt like it, met some very nice people, and also really enjoyed time alone on my balcony reading or listening to music. If you are accustomed to traveling alone already, why not?

I did a 13 day transatlantic as a solo cruiser last November. I'd do it again in a second, it was great! I met lots of great people and never really felt lonely.

That said, I had cruised as part of a couple several times before so I knew what to expect and I was pretty careful to pick a cruise that I thought would include a good mix of different ages.

Good luck, I hope you have a wonderful time.

I am cruising on a 15 day from South America to San Diego solo in a couple of months. Have cruised a week to Alaska solo as well. While I enjoy the company of others it is good to have some time to reboot and see what's out there on your own. (I too have the problem of friends that can't get two weeks off.)

While there may have been a couple of moments when it would have been nice to have a friend to share with that was a very very small percentage of the trip. With that said I was never lonely...

Have fun!

Does anyone have any advice if going on an 11 day cruise could be fun for 33 year old? I am looking at a transatlantic, but having second thoughts as 11 days alone is a while. I am very independent and often travel alone, but not for more than 4 or 5 days, and never on a cruise yet. The transatlantic cruise is just such a great deal and a balcony cabin to keep me happy in my cabin. And none of my friends can take nearly 2 weeks off of work, or do they like the thought of paying for a multi-segment international flight. Thoughts/advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

I'll come!! I want to do a trans-atlantic so bad but my partner has zero interest. I'm just happy I got him interested in cruising to begin with.

Yep. Do it if the trip appeals to you. Both of my cruises have been the longer durations and I've been solo on both. I like a lot of private, quiet time and I like to do whatever I want when I'm in port. I'll gladly travel with a partner and/or friends as well, but that's not in the cards right now, so I don't let it stop me from taking the trips I want to do. Enjoy it.

I'm doing a 16 day Transatlantic on the Carnival Dream in October, solo. One thing you should do is join the roll call for the sailing you are taking. It works well for me. You will have the best of both worlds. When you want to be alone, you can. When you want company, such as doing a tour with other people, that's where Cruise Critic will come in handy.

I did an April and Nov transatlantic. Both were great and didn't get bored. The April went from Ft. Laud to London and took the northern route so the sea days were cool. The Nov trip it was from Barcelona to San Juan and 85 degrees the entire trip and lots of time by the pool deck. The longer cruises give you time for ports and time to relax as well. I'm 53 and always open to room share. (Always done solo previously). Seems difficult to find someone with the time to be gone that long.

I'm doing a 16 day Transatlantic on the Carnival Dream in October, solo. One thing you should do is join the roll call for the sailing you are taking. It works well for me. You will have the best of both worlds. When you want to be alone, you can. When you want company, such as doing a tour with other people, that's where Cruise Critic will come in handy.

I agree, and would love to do the TA on the Dream but we are on the 3rd Oct sailing..I would not hesitate to cruise alone if the need arose!!

Archived