Wanting to go to Key West

GAMOM4

Do you know of any cruise ship that is actually in Key West at sunset? We loved it when we cruised there last year - but we weren't there long enough. I love that place! I know that the Fascination goes there but do you know of any other ships that are in port longer.

Don't take this as gospel, but I am 90% percent sure I read somewhere that Key West does not allow the ships to stay docked until sunset.

Why? Because Mallory square is a common area to get together every night to enjoy the sunset. I believe there are street vendors/performers etc.

And it just so happens that the ships dock on the West side of the island at Mallory Square. They do sometimes dock at the Navy Annex, but only if no room at MS(I believe). The sunset wouldn't look as marvelous with a 100k ton ship in way.

Then again, I also thought I read where a ship docked overnight in KW cause of an intinerary change. ha!

I was there on vacation during New Years and we saw ships everyday but they all left before sunset. I was out on a sailboat one night and they did get great views as they were slowly leaving the dock. You see flashes friom everyones cameras.

Don't take this as gospel, but I am 90% percent sure I read somewhere that Key West does not allow the ships to stay docked until sunset.

Why? Because Mallory square is a common area to get together every night to enjoy the sunset. I believe there are street vendors/performers etc.

And it just so happens that the ships dock on the West side of the island at Mallory Square. They do sometimes dock at the Navy Annex, but only if no room at MS(I believe). The sunset wouldn't look as marvelous with a 100k ton ship in way.

Then again, I also thought I read where a ship docked overnight in KW cause of an intinerary change. ha!

We were on a Disney Cruise 2 years ago and was in Key West until 1:00 am.......which we loved!

We were on the NCL Majesty a year and a half ago and were in Key West until well into the evening. However, we were docked at the Naval Yard, so no blocking the view at Mallory Square. Wish more ships did this as it was great being there for the big celebration! Unfortunately NCL changed the Majesty's itinerary and she no longer goes to Key West.

Here's a good link for the spectacle of Mallory Square sunsets. I haven't found anything official yet, but I have found a few sites that say cruise ships are asked to leave before sunset. I guess they can be docked at the annex or anchored.

http://www.insideflorida.com/detail/mallory-square/

True, out before sunset!

I know alot of people don't like Key West - and I'm not sure what it was about the place that I fell in love with - but I sure want to go back - if I could find an affordable place to stay there we might would do that - but looks like going on a cruise and just "visiting for the day" seems to be the most economical way of going.

Archived