Car seat

neenie46

Hello,

I am completely new to cruise and we will be taking our first cruise in March with our 7 month old son. I am debating on taking a car seat. For one I'm worried it may get damaged during the flight and second it is a big to carry around at each port. My son is too long for the infant style car seats so we would have to take our big seat.

I was wondering what other families have done? We will be taking mostly bus tours but may have to take a taxi.

Thanks for the help!

Depends...did you buy a seat for the baby on the airplane, or are you flying as a lap child? If you are checking the car seat at the airport, you can put it in a bag to protect it if you aren't going to use it on the plane itself. We have checked our booster seats, they are usually free to check, and haven't put them in any kinds of bags, and have never been damaged. As far as using it on tours - that depends on the vehicle - whether they have seat belts, etc. When we used taxis in Mexico - seat belts were hard to come by. You will have to decide your comfort level on these types of tours...I am sure you will get lots of feedback on car seats and what kinds of seats are best for traveling with infants.

I grew up in a time when there were NO carseats for kids---and so did alot of others! We survived! ( I remember my brother in a playpen on the floor of the backseat!!!) I know there are alot of folks who wouldn't THINK of going anywhere without the kids strapped in and padded, but for the small amount of time they'll be travelling, it's up to YOU whether it's worth the lugging of the "equipment"!

You can't use a car seat in a bus--no seatbelts!

Our boys are now older and are out of car seats but it wasn't too long ago that we faced this issue.

They used the Britax normally, which was a wonderful and comfortable seat, but it was 1) expensive and 2) very heavy. Our solution was to buy a cheaper and lighter one for travel. It also came in handy for car pools, the second car, etc. Look at Target, Walmart, ebay, or a second-hand store, etc. Our boys thought it was a special treat to use the travel car seat.

If you buy one, make sure that it is FAA certified, so that you can use it on the plane if your child gets a seat. (Almost all of them are). Also, other factors to consider: 1) where are you going to store it in your cabin; 2) do you really need it in the ports - how often are you going to be in a car as opposed to a bus. Even if you bring it with you, you don't have to bring it with you into the ports. We usually decided that we wanted the extra safety.

As a final alternative, if money is no object, you should consider the Rolls Royce of all options -- a car seat, stroller combo such as this:

http://www.nextag.com/Triple-Play-Sit-n-575956139/prices-html?nxtg=5a190a240513-87EDD9F2DB8A82C6

Have a great cruise!

I would take a seat for sure. It depends where you are sailing to but we always do the same as we would at home.

We were on a bus in Jamaica and it had seat belts so don't assume they won't have. The safety of your child is your priority.

Have a safe cruise :)

We have a 3 and 4 year old and will be cruising in Italy and Greece with the children and the grandparents. Because it will be difficult to keep up with a shore excurion, I'd like to book private taxis and/or tour guides. Will I legally need car seats in taxis in Greece and Italy?

• 2 weeks later...

Be aware that the "sit and stroll" carseat/stroller is amazing, BUT it does not always fit down the isle of the plane. We have had one for several years and used it traveling internationally numerous times without problems, but on domestic flights it would not roll down the isle, we had to carry DD, the seat, and any other items... it was not a pretty sight! ...not to mention frustrating!

BUT it is an amazing product and if I had need for another I would not hesitate to spend the money for one.

I would like to rent the Super Shuttle to transport my fam and I from LAX to San Pedro and was wondering if you need a car seat for them. Has anyone had experience with them before, there web site says they recommend a carseat but they do not say it is necessary. Thanks in advance.

Archived