P&o changing "formal nights to "cocktail nights" + changes to kids clubs

Kruzein

Great idea regarding the dress codes for aussie cruisers but not to happy about the changes to the shark shack age limits .We waited for years to cruise untill both our kids would get into the same kids club .We cruised on the Dawn last year and it was fantastic , but now with our 11 year old daughter she will be in the new HQ club and Im not too happy with an 11 year girl hanging around with 17 year olds , to me that just wont be happening so Ill be contacting P&O and advising them of our concerns as we are planning to cruise again early next year.

Words from my mouth! Just a minute before I read your words I had just said the same thing to my husband. An impressionable 11 year old mixing with 17 year olds. What are they thinking???? Not just for the young ones (who may feel the need to act the same), but also for the older ones. The last thing I would want at 17 would be a bunch of 11 year old hanging around.

17 is an awkward age - I am sure that my son will not respond well to the change of the Teen age range.

Does anyone know who we contact if we need to voice our opinion?

The changes for Teens are too drastic!

Element :(

After reading all your replies I feel that I have to add something. You do realize that in high school kids are from ages 11 - 18?! Do you see them all hanging around together? No!! Also everyone is making out that 17 year olds are some sort of horrible naughty up-to-no-good kids. I'm sure if they were put in the same room they would get together with their own groups - just like in school.

Liz

Liz... totally agree with you, after reading all the comments, was thinking exactly the same thing. Thank you. On our last cruise both my girls were in the teen, one just turned 13 and other one 16and half. I thought the older one wouldnt want the younger one hanging around, they rarely saw each other, met up with kids their own age and interests, went off doing things that interested them and there was activities for both age groups, we arent cruising till NYE on Pacific Jewel, so i guess will have to wait and see. Fiona

After reading all your replies I feel that I have to add something. You do realize that in high school kids are from ages 11 - 18?! Do you see them all hanging around together? No!! Also everyone is making out that 17 year olds are some sort of horrible naughty up-to-no-good kids. I'm sure if they were put in the same room they would get together with their own groups - just like in school.

Liz

You are right there, I nerver thought of that!!

Hi Debbie, I would have to agree with you. When we were on our last cruise my two sons aged 17 & 16 went to the teen lounge and never went back. They told us the kids were mainly 13 year olds and the activities were mainly directed at that age. Maybe P&O could have a separate venue/activities just for 15 to 17 year age group. Just a suggestion!!!

Liz

Sorry see your point but can't agree - at school it is a large area with separate classes and invariably a senior area - on the ship there is one room - there are so many differences even down to appropriate movie selection - I don't think it is anything to do with "naughty" 17 year olds rather totally different stages of development and interests - to me it is similar to putting the 11 and 12 year olds with the 3-5 year age groups!

My 2c

Jane

Liz

Sorry Liz, when my eldest dd is 11 she will only be in year 6 and when my youngest dd is 11 she will be in year 5. High school in Qld starts from year 8 when most are 13, plus they changed the entry age to prep up here, so now you have to be 5 by 30 June to get in, my youngest missed out by 10 days, so she is now one of the oldest in her year 1 class and will be 18 1/2 :eek: when she finishes year 12. Personally I think it is a good thing for education.:cool:

Yes the teens probably split into groups around their own age and I guess most parents will make themselves aware of the kids their child is hanging around. (I know I do). The only problem I see is where you might get say a 11/12yr old girl who looks more 16/17 and then plays it up and hangs with that age, physically they might look the same but mentally they are miles apart.:( Glad I don't have that to worry about yet.;)

We will have to wait and see how it all works out in the end.:confused:

Cheers

Jingles.:D

We are teachers of Prep-year 12 so we see the differences daily. 11 year olds want to play while the 16/17 year old want to hang out and chat. Not saying they don't get along, however in groups the differences are massive.

The reason I am interested in this topic is because we will be cruising with our 17 year old. He has no siblings and we want him to have the best time he can. Here in Qld, 17 year old can get their licence and a car. I said '17 is a tricky age' before because they are treated like 'adults' sometimes, yet they are still so young.

Can anyone tell me if there are places on the ship which a 17 year old cannot go with us? We have not cruised before so any advice would be helpful.

Thanks!

Can anyone tell me if there are places on the ship which a 17 year old cannot go with us? We have not cruised before so any advice would be helpful.

Thanks!

Hi,

There are very few restrictions on a 17 year old except drinking alcohol of course. If they have an R rated comedy show it is restricted to over 18s. I can't think of any other restrictions.

Evon.

well unfortunatly its now almost impossible to get a older teen on a cruise... because Ive spent the last week trying to get on one from November 09 to Feb 2010 and I cant get on any at all... (I think there was one or two) but there were no availability in the younger age group I also required... I know its always hard travelling with kids, thats why we book normally so far in advance...but its looking like its harder than normal atm...this time last year I was able to book for a number of cruises with a teen...

Thunderchaser, we are experiencing the same thing. My family (kids 11 & 14) and a friend's family (kids 12 & 15) are trying to get on PD in September. There is no problem getting cabins but the extension of the range of HQ means there are many more kids now included in this category and hence there is no current availability for any child between 11 and 17. Both familes are waitlisted but whether that turns into anything is anyone's guess.

The way it is currently going, PD will have to sell discounted 2 berth cabins because they can't be sold to families who only wanted them as 4 berth. ...bit sad really

Liz

you make a very good point i agree

• 2 months later...

That does make sense.. Though Im still not a fan of the idea. My son will be 12 when we cruise in October and I dont really like the idea of him being with 17 year olds. My youngest is 6 and turning 7 while we are on our cruise so he will be on the borderline of the 2 younger groups, not sure how that works. In saying that though we are happy to have them with us most of the time anyway as we are doing this as a family holiday, so they may not be in the kids club too often.

Archived