Travel Insurance for our cruise

sports-mom

I've never bought any type of travel insurance before, and figured it would be a good idea since there are 5 of us going this time. (DH, Myself and 3 kids)

What are the minimums I should be looking at?

Is $25,000 going to be a good cushion when you have medical insurance already? What about Accidental Death? etc...

If anyone could just give some pointers on this I'd be very grateful.

I'm seeing the insurance is going to run $78 - 200+ for all 5 of us, and i just want to pick the right plan and get the right coverage.

TIA!

Most medical insurance doesn't cover outside the US. Look and see if medical includes med evac...that is what I watch for and want at least $100,000....and being able to be flown back to the US. That can be very expensive.

If you take the time to read the fine print, you'll get a feel for what you want/need by going here: http://www.insuremytrip.com You'll be able to compare policies and read the description of each part of the coverage.

Hope it helps. :)

PLEASE take care when choosing your insurance. Make sure you would be covered if your cruise is delayed coming back into dock. If you are likely to miss your flight you may not be covered. We found that out to our expense of $1500 in November.!! Because the ship was delayed our insurance would not pay as a penny. Ask the question please.?

Thanks Kitty.. I never thought about our insurance not covering out of the us.

Dogben, we'll be driving to our port, so no missed flight for us.

Any more tips and advice?

Also, when should you purchase the insurance? We just made our deposits, so is there a deadline?

When you do your research note that some plans will include kids in the family coverage. Make sure you compare apples to apples in pricing and coverages. Travelex and Travelguard are both reputable.

If you are out of the country, I'd advise med evac coverage. We also choose the coverage that will take us to the hospital of our choice. (home) Especially with kids, I don't think you'd want an island hospital caring for a serious illness.

Thanks Kitty.. I never thought about our insurance not covering out of the us.

Dogben, we'll be driving to our port, so no missed flight for us.

Any more tips and advice?

Also, when should you purchase the insurance? We just made our deposits, so is there a deadline?

If you want pre-existing condition coverage you need to purchase it within 10-14 days of initial deposit for most plans.

Remember too that Pre existing condition covers those NOT traveling with you as well, meaning that say your mother has a heart condition, she is not traveling with you, but while you are traveling she has a serious heart attack and you need to fly home. That would only be covered if you had bought a policy soon enough and that has a pre existing condition waiver.

Archived